Using up rhubarb

Page 2 / 2
kaddiew, Mar 5, 11:16pm
Freecycle is another option if you still need to get rid of the fruit or the plants. I'm constantly amazed that whatever I stick on Freecycle gets snapped up very quickly.

kay141, Mar 5, 11:47pm
Try Neighbourly.co.nz as well.

You could put a a $1 auction and have in the title for summersunnz. Most people would leave it alone. Make the shipping enough to cover the fees and postage.

It's often done after these sort of conversations.

samanya, Mar 5, 11:53pm
Thanks kay . that might be an option.

kay141, Mar 6, 12:00am
Good luck. I might be interested one day, when we get some rain.

39° here today.

samanya, Mar 6, 12:24am
It's pretty hot/dry here too but I don't think we have water restrictions right now . we had some glorious rain a few weeks ago & it's helped the garden tremendously, but my lawn is suffering . I save my rain water storage for the vege garden.
I'm on a rural water scheme & get one unit per day = 1800 litres but the river close by is extremely low & of course that affects the wells, so we might be put back on restrictions soon.

kay141, Mar 6, 12:28am
We have watering restrictions all year round. You can use a watering can or hand-held hose at any time but there are specific times for sprinklers and irrigation systems.

We had a few showers a couple of weeks ago and that was it in the last 8 weeks. Showers forecast for Tuesday. I shall cross everything and pray.

whitehead., Mar 7, 2:37am
a pack of sweet short pastry roll out and cover half with finely chopped rhubarb and cover with the other half cook till pastry is done . great with cream for pudding of as a treat with lunch

willman, Mar 8, 6:44pm
Anyone got a good recipe for a Rhubarb Cake. I would appreciate a copy, many thanks.

samanya, Mar 8, 10:32pm
I like these ones . I'm sure I got them from this forum but don't know who to acknowledge.
Rhubarb & sour cream cake
60 g butter at room temperature
1.5 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tspn vanilla
350g flour
1 tspn baking soda
1 tspn salt
4 cups rhubarb cut into 1.5 cm lengths
250 g sour cream

topping
combine together
1.5 tabs melted butter
1.5 cups sugar
1tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 180C
Grease 23 cm round tin
Cream butter & sugar, add eggs & vanilla & beat well
Add sifted flour, baking soda & salt
Then add rhubarb & sour cream
Combine well
Put in tin & sprinkle with topping
Bake 40 - 45minutes or until cooked.

samanya, Mar 8, 10:40pm
& another
Ross's sour cream & Rhubarb cake
beat 1.5 cups brown sugar
125 grams margarine (about 1/4 pottle)
Add & continue beating
1 egg
1 250 g pottle sour cream
1 tspn vanilla essence
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg

Sift & stir gently into the above
2 cups standard flour
1 tspn baking soda
1 tspn salt
add 3 cups chopped raw rhubarb & stir together until combined but don't over mix
Bake at 180C for 50 -55 in a large ring tin or 2 loaf tins
Icing
beat until combined
2 cups icing sugar
1 tab soft butter
250g cream cheese at room temperature
1 tsp lemon juice
(I often add about 1 tab of finely chopped Rosemary)
hope that helps

willman, Mar 9, 5:32am
Thank you samanya, much appreciated.

samanya, Mar 9, 6:03am
Another fave around here when I have guests is a rhubarb & strawberry tart/pie.
Lovely flavour combination, let me know if you'd like the recipe.

willman, Mar 9, 7:02pm
samanya: Thanks , that would be great.

whitehead., Mar 9, 9:28pm
have you tried rubbarb short cake .just buy the short sweet pastry in the market and roll it out cover about an inch deep with finely cut rubbarb and top with more short pastry coom in at the pastrys tem on the pack till cooked and cut into slices .its bitter sweet good for pudding or a slice

samanya, Mar 10, 2:42am
`
here you go.
1 amount pastry for a double crust pie I usually just do it with a bottom layer, only)
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 lb rhubarb chopped
2 pints fresh strawberries
2 tabs butter
1 egg yolk (for brushing on top pastry)
2 tabs white sugar
preheat oven to 200C
In a large bowl mix flour & sugar then add strawberries & rhubarb & toss with the sugar & flour. let stand for around 30minutes.
Put filling into pie crust dot top with butter & cover with top crust.
Apply yolk to top & sprinkle with sugar.
Make holes in top to let steam escape.
bake at 200C for 35 - 40 minutes until golden .
I usually make Alison Holst's basic short pastry for this . it's not sweet.
Enjoy.

mrsoeofish, Mar 10, 7:23am
Rhubarb relish. keeps really well and is so easy: I usually double or triple the recipe.

500g chopped rhubarb
2 cups finely chopped onion
2 cups cider vinegar (or a mix of malt and whatever you have)
2 cups brown sugar
3 teasp plain salt
1 teasp ground allspice
Put everything into large pot, heat until boiling and simmer until thick, stirring occasionally. Thicken with a little vinegar and cornflour mix if required. Bottle into warm jars and cover. keeps for ages.

arcane1315, Mar 10, 7:12pm
Rhubarb Champagne - very refreshing. I made a different recipe to this one below that had a whole heap more vinegar - mine didn't fix up a lot, but was still a very nice drink. I am going to try this one next - just have to buy a rhubarb plant now :)

1& half pound Sugar ( 700 grms)
2lb Rhubarb (900 grms)
1 & half tblspns White Vineagar
1 galloon cold water. 3.8 ltres
2 lemons.

Wash & cut up Rhubarb, place in PLASTIC basin (not metal)
Add juice of lemon & rind.
Add rest of ingredients.
Stand 48 hours.
Strain 3-4 times and bottle and cork / cap down well.
Leave outside in cool place. We used to use and shed under the water tank that was nice and cool.
Ready in 2-3 weeks.
Chill before opening
Uncap and enjoy. Watch it is very bubbly.

sarahb5, Mar 13, 2:07am
Yesterday I made rhubarb and ginger compote - delicious with yoghurt for breakfast okay. I also made self saucing rhubarb and custard pudding - that was tasty and popular. I gave a Tupperware boxful to my daughter to make muffins and tonight I'll probably make rhubarb crumble - I always add a little grated ginger to that too. If there's any left after that I will freeze it.

kindajojo, Oct 15, 4:46pm
Rhubarb and fejioas go well stewed, short cake.
Cut into one inch lengths rinse and microwave with no water just cover with glad wrap add a bit of brown sugar, and or ginger, fejioas, and it can be frozenand used for breakfast