How to use a huge bag of spinach?

wasala, May 19, 3:50am
What could I make with it? And is it possible to cook and freeze it?

davidt4, May 19, 4:08am
If it's nice and fresh, wash it, remove any thick stems, cook in its own juices for a few minutes until it has just softened but is still bright green. Dress with butter or extra virgin olive oil, salt and lemon juice, serve as a side dish with any meal.

Cooked spinach freezes well.

davidt4, May 19, 4:10am
Greek Spinach and Yoghurt Salad

serves 6

1 kg spinach, washed and finely shredded
1 bunch mint, finely chopped
3 spring onions including green, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
400 g strained Greek yoghurt
2 tab extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
50g melted butter

Mix together everything except the butter. Season well.

Melt butter and pour over just before serving.

davidt4, May 19, 4:12am
Spinach Sesame Salad

2 – 4

700g spinach – blanch, squeeze.

toasted sesame seeds

½ tsp salt
1 ½ tab soy sauce
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp rice or cider vinegar
1 tab peanut oil

Mix well and amalgamate with spinach. Stand 1 – 3 hours.

Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds

davidt4, May 19, 4:13am
Saag Paneer

Serves 4

1 kg (two bags) fresh spinach, leaves only
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tab oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
5 cloves garlic, chopped
400g chopped ripe tomatoes
4 cm piece ginger, grated
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp salt
250g paneer, cubed

Blanch spinach leaves, drain and press dry. Chop finely.

In small frying pan dry-roast separately the cumin, coriander and fenugreek, set aside.

In large pan heat oil and fry onion, garlic and toasted spices 10 min over low heat until soft and golden. Add tomato, ginger, garam masala & salt and bring to the boil. Add spinach, simmer until almost all liquid gone ( about 5 min). Add paneer and combine gently to heat.

nauru, May 19, 5:30am
It makes a nice salad along with roast beetroot, feta cheese, walnuts and a vinaigrette or creamy type dressing. This is the recipe that I use, and I also add some chopped spring onions .
https://www.laaloosh.com/2016/08/15/spinach-beet-salad/

awoftam, May 19, 5:40am
If it is young and fresh put into a bowl (raw) with some broccoli that has been steamed for 4 minutes, some chopped almonds, chopped avocado, a sprinkle of salt flakes and drizzle with sesame oil.

huggy5, May 19, 6:45am
My favourite spinach recipe is spanokopita. I just make it up but I think this is a nice recipe that I've used before:
https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/spanakopita-2/bee85cd6-2286-42ba-9542-b45b0aeb390c

ed65, May 19, 6:48am
I often make (and freeze) this spinach and lentil curry http://www.bite.co.nz/recipe/2652/Spinach-and-lentil-curry/ Never have chillis on hand so substitute with a bit of chilli powder.

geldof, May 19, 6:50am
Yes, you can cook and freeze it.

I like a simple spinach soup.
Spinach cooked in good quality stock or broth with a bit of S&P, some lemon juice and zest. Blitz and add cream and/or parmesan cheese.

auckland63, May 20, 2:37am
Blanch, squeeze excess water, freeze in ice-cube tray, pop it in your smoothies, stew, soup etc.

lyndunc, May 20, 3:25am
I make a spinach and bacon (doesn't have to be bacon) lasagna with tinned pureed tomatoes, white sauce and cheese - yummy!

wasala, May 20, 3:40am
Some great ideas here. Thanks everyone. I'm leaning towards soup because it's getting to that time of the year!

245sam, May 20, 7:19am
wasala, here's another option for you - it's thanks to TM's raevah….

SPINACH QUICHE
raevah added the following note: You can add any veges you have…mushroom, broccoli (cook first) or throw in frozen corn or whole cherry tomatoes. The recipe makes a big pie/quiche, but that’s good, because it tastes even better the next day, cold or reheated.

1 x 130g bag spinach, cooked and very well-drained
1 cup grated tasty cheese (or use lesser amounts of blue or feta)
½ cup flour and ½ tsp baking powder or ½ cup self-raising flour
Note: I used ½ cup plain flour and ¼ tsp cream of tartar and ⅛ tsp baking soda
60g butter, melted (optional)
4 or 5 eggs
2 cups milk
pepper and salt – see notes below
2-3 tbsp pine nuts (optional)

Original Method:-
Whisk the eggs, butter and milk together.
Gently mix the spinach, cheese, flour and baking powder, then pour the egg mixture into the combined spinach mixture and mix as little as possible. Pour the mixture into a greased 23cm pie dish or casserole dish. Top, if wished, with a sprinkling of pine nuts.

My method that produces IMO, a better result:-
Whisk the eggs, butter and milk together.
Gently mix the spinach and cheese – if using blue or feta, crumble the cheese, leaving the pieces of a reasonably big size.
Into a large bowl sift the flour, cream of tartar and baking soda. Gently and gradually mix in the beaten egg mixture, then stir in the combined spinach and cheese, and mix as little as possible. Pour the mixture into a greased 23cm pie dish or casserole dish. Top with the pine nuts.

Bake at 200°C for about 45 minutes, until golden brown and puffy. :-))

twindizzy, Sep 19, 5:49pm
add it to lasagna