Jamaican gingerbread/loaf recipe please

bisloy, Apr 7, 11:00pm
I have searched, but can't find it, and I'm sure I got it from here.
It was a lovely ginger cake with a large amount of ginger - at least 3 tablespoons! I made it and it was beautiful.
Please can I have it again?

245sam, Apr 7, 11:42pm
bisloy, maybe this is the recipe you're wanting? It's from the former Trade Me Cooks.

"Large Ginger Cake
This is a really LARGE moist cake which is excellent for the freezer e.g. 1/2 to use, 1/2 to freeze." 2 cups each of golden syrup & water, 1&1/4 cups brown sugar, 400g butter, 4 eggs, 5 cups flour, 3 tsp baking soda, 3 tbsp ginger, 2 tsp mixed spice. Heat the golden syrup, butter, water, brown sugar until melted, then allow the mixture to cool. Beat in the eggs. Sift in the flour, baking soda, ginger and spice. Beat until smooth. Place the mixture into a lightly greased and lined roasting dish. Bake at 180°C for about 50 minutes. Leave in the tin for 10 minutes.
posted by paddocks"

Hope that's the one. :-))

bisloy, Apr 8, 12:07am
Thank you 245sam, but it's not the one.
The person who posted was from England I think, and had increased the ginger they put in the bread/loaf. There was already quite a bit.

buzzy110, Apr 8, 4:46am
bisloy, perhaps you thanked the poster for the recipe when she put it up. Maybe if you do a search using your name in the search box you might just find it again. Maybe you will remember the thread it was in. It will be gone if it was posted over 1 yer ago but you might just be able to find it in Stack of Recipes.

bisloy, Apr 8, 6:13am
Awesome idea buzzy110, unfortunately it didn't work, bu will rememeber for future searches. Thanks heaps.
I must have found it somewhere else

nauru, Apr 8, 9:33am
Hi bisloy, not sure if this is the recipe you mean, I posted it a couple of years ago for someone who was looking for an old gingerbread recipe similar to this one.
This is the recipe as in the AWW book. I double all the spices (my preference & never enough ginger for my taste) and instead of frosting, I top the cake with sliced almonds before baking, same as the Jamaican Ginger cake you buy in the UK. I have also made this with golden syrup instead of treacle with a good result but not as dark. It's a lovely moist cake and according to the recipe it keeps well, it doesn't last long enough in our house to confirm this though.Enjoy.

Moist Treacle Gingerbread
3/4 cup plain flour
3/4 cup SR flour
1/2 teasp baking soda
1 teasp ground ginger
1/4 teasp ground cinnamon
1/4 teasp mixed spice
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup milk
60g butter
1/2 cup treacle

Lemon frosting
60g butter
1 teasp grated lemon rind
1 cup icing sugar
2 teasp lemon juice

Grease and line 14cm x 21cm loaf pan. Sift flours, soda and spices into a bowl. Stir in sugar and combined egg and milk. Melt butter and treacle together. Stir into flour mixture and mix well. Pour into prep'd loaf pan Bake @ 180C for 50 minutes. When cooled spread with Lemon frosting.
For frosting, beat together butter and rind until creamy. Gradually add icing sugar and enough lemon juice to make a spreadable consistency

bisloy, Apr 9, 2:11am
Thanks nauru, but that's not it either. I will have to trawl through my books again here at home. The closest I can find on line is Al Brown's 'Best Gingerbread in the World'. I may have to adapt that one, as it looks pretty close.
When I find it I will post it so that you can all try it.
Thanks again.

korbo, Apr 9, 2:36am
I love a good slice of gingerbread, but find nearly all recipes have 1-2 cups golden syrup.
Being a diabetic, is there any other substitute?
or could I use brown sugar and maybe 1-2 tblspn gold syrup?

buzzy110, Apr 9, 3:09am
Is there any difference between ability of golden syrup or brown sugar to spike blood sugar levels? And of course flour will always raise blood sugar levels.

cgvl, Apr 9, 3:42am
korbo, at the risk of being shot down in flames, I use about half the amount of sugar or golden syrup in baking recipes than that stated. Sometimes you can tell. But mostly it goes unnoticed although something I made recently was commented on and DH very rarely comments on my cooking, so it must have been very different to normal.

nauru, Apr 9, 4:52am
Korbo, you could try using coconut sugar which is low GI. I use this all the time now and I cut the amount of sugar by half in recipes. I have made the above recipe with half the amount of syrup and sugar stated and used coconut sugar instead of caster sugar. The loaf turned out well and we find it more suited to our taste,

bisloy, Apr 9, 9:06pm
Nauru, I have re-read your recipe and I remember your comment at the start . perhaps yours is it. Thank you so much.
I don't have much golden syrup left so I appreciate the subsequent comments too.
Thanks again . I'm so excited and going to make it now!

meetee, Apr 10, 3:21am
I make Nauru's gingerbread but use raw sugar, double the spices and add chopped crystallised ginger to it, yummy!

nauru, Apr 10, 7:42am
You're welcome bisloy, how did your cake turn out?

marcs, Apr 11, 2:59am
I have been hankering for a good gingerbread. I will have to give this a go.

marcs, Apr 12, 8:33am
I made Nauru recipe. It was very nice however I just did not taste ginger even though I doubled the spices. I might add a TBS next time or may be add some fresh ginger juice as I find dried ginger powder does not have much flavour.

whitehead., Apr 15, 3:21am
if you like the taste of ginger i would also add about a table spoon of grated green ginger ot grate your green ginger and wring it out in a bit of cloth i use it in fruit cake and ginger cake . ive had bakers lift their eyebrows at the flavour and use it in their fruit cakes at christmas

oopie, Apr 15, 7:36am
I found three or four black peppercorns, freshly ground with a mortar and pestle and added to ginger loaf really helped with that zing.

nauru, Apr 15, 7:44am
I still make this cake (post #6) but now also add 1 tablsp of grated fresh ginger with the powdered spices and some chopped crystalised ginger. It make a great difference.

marcs, Apr 18, 6:16am
I shall give this a go when I make it next time. Regardless it was very nice.

nauru, Apr 18, 7:02am
Yes marcs, it's a nice recipe. Very like the one I used to buy when I lived in the UK.

lindylambchops1, Apr 20, 10:20am
I just found this using Search.

I make this loaf often and it is always good

280g (2 cups) flour

200g (1 cup) brown sugar

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

2 dessertspoons ground ginger

½ tsp mixed spice

½ tsp nutmeg

1 tsp cinnamon

360g (1 plus 1/3 cup) golden syrup

225g butter (roughly diced)

2 eggs (lightly beaten)

250ml (1 cup) milk

Method
· Preheat oven to 150°C.

· Grease and line the base of an 11cm x 30cm loaf tin (or alternatively a 23cm square tin).

· Into a large bowl sift flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, mixed spice, nutmeg and cinnamon.

· In small saucepan melt golden syrup with butter.

· To the dry ingredients add the golden syrup mixture followed by eggs and milk. Combine ingredients well, using a whisk (this is a very wet mix). Pour into prepared tin.

· Cook in loaf tin for 1 hour 10 minutes (in the square tin for 45 minutes) or until metal cake skewer comes out clean. When cooked leave in tin to cool for 30 minutes or more before turning out.

Edited by ruby19 at 8:48 pm, Fri 8 Mar

ruby19 (26 26 positive feedback) 8:46 pm, Fri 8 Mar #21

marcs, Oct 1, 3:17am
Nauru, I couldn't find my crystallized ginger so I swapped some of the milk for ginger wine which no one wants to drink in the house and I added some freshly grated ginger too and the dried ginger. Should be gingery enough now.