Cheese slicer (wire) that lasts.

amasser, Feb 8, 12:45am
Have tried several brands, although some probably the same manufacturer with different packaging, and none lasts long. Appears to be a design fault in that the handle is not thick enough where the rivet is inserted.
Anyone found a good one?

wheelz, Feb 8, 12:49am
I know what you mean. very frustrating!
The one you need to find is NZ made, labelled Sun cheese cutter, it's red, so easy to find in the drawer too. Lasts for years, we use it almost daily.
Pak n Save here sells it.

timturtle, Feb 8, 12:50am
This is the ONLY one, I have used for years and put others onto it

https://shop.countdown.co.nz/Shop/ProductDetails?Stockcode=446630&name=sun-cheese-slicer

mumsrule, Feb 8, 12:51am
These are the best ones I have found too. Had mine for years and still going strong.

dibble35, Feb 8, 3:44am
+1, got mine off of Trademe after it was recommended to me by someone on here, still going strong nearly 4 years later.

lythande1, Feb 8, 5:41am
What's wrong with a sharp knife?

timturtle, Feb 8, 6:13am
This does thick and thin and you get a consistent slice AND it’s safe for kids and elderly a like - That’s what - plus it works out very economical

pico42, Feb 8, 9:48am
The cheese tends to stick to the blade of the knife, folding or breaking it. The wire, while not normally as sharp, lets the cheese sit back against itself.

marcs, Feb 8, 10:39am
The trick to the wire lasting is not to wash it in the dish washer. Mine used to break all the time but not since I have stopped washing them in the dish washer. The red handle ones are good and I also have all metal ones.

amasser, Feb 8, 11:44pm
Thanks, folks. Sun brand lasted longer than most - need to improve my technique.
Knives are not good for kids.

arden22, Oct 26, 3:57pm
My grandson is now 19 years. He used to slice his own cheese with my Sun slicer when he was only 3 years old. I'm still using the same one - it must be at least 20 years old and it goes in the dishwasher.