Green capsicums

samanya, Apr 26, 7:33am
It's getting cold here now & have had a couple of frosts & my capsicum plants have a lot of large peppers on them & still OK, but they are never going to turn red now & I should harvest them before the frosts get them.
I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for preserving etc green capsicums for use in dishes down the track?
I've preserved red ones before by roasting & covering with Olive oil, can I do the same with green ones?
Any suggestions appreciated, I'd prefer not to freeze them if possible, mainly because once they go in the freezer. I forget them!
TIA

socram, Apr 26, 8:03am
Nothing gets forgotten in our fridge freezer! Mind you, it isn't as though we have a stand alone chest freezer - pity.

wheelz, Apr 26, 8:59am
I detest the green ones. do you think making a cloche with frost cloth around each plant might give you some more ripening time? If it was me, I'd be leaving them on the plant as long as possible and pick them as the plant finally succumbs, they do ripen slightly after picking too, as long as not refrigerated.

rainrain1, Apr 26, 8:18pm
Make Seafood gumbo. yum!

samanya, Apr 26, 9:45pm
Thanks folk.

snapperheadrkp, Apr 27, 3:22am
Beef and Black Beans with the green Capsicum!

articferrit, Apr 27, 3:32am
Can you make a batch of pepper relish and use big spoonsfull when youre cooking?, you would get the flavour just not the big bits of pepper, but it would keep for ages.

samanya, Apr 27, 6:39am
I've looked up on the net for what we know as capsicums & most recipes are for what we call chilli peppers.
I have several recipe books for chutneys relishes etc incuding Digby Law's one & not one mention of green capsicums.

wheelz . I picked a few older looking ones & hope they turn red, one did, so thanks for that advice.
I have about 3kgs I reckon.
It's been a great growing season here, with unusual summer rain, my plants were up around the metre + height.

dreamers, Apr 27, 6:57am
Did you realise the ones with 4 bumps on the bottom are females,the ones with 3 bumps are male.Female ones are supposed to be sweeter.

samanya, Apr 27, 7:15am
Of course ;o)
But no, I didn't know that.

socram, Sep 29, 12:51pm
LOL. I still gag at the memory of the first time I had them. A lovely Swiss friend made me an omelette with a load of green peppers in it, back in about 1969 when Brits weren't used to such exotic stuff. Thankfully, our tastes mature over time but I still prefer the red ones.