Anybody please have a nice poatato bake recipe

carol113, May 10, 2:05am
that you are happy to share.Lost mine and the one I had would have raw potatoes sliced up finely with milk and cheese ( I think ) over it.

davidt4, May 10, 2:41am
I like to add some onion - it provides moisture as well as flavour.

To serve four:

4 -5 medium sized potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
2 large onions, sliced thinly
150 g aged Gouda or Parmigiano Reggiano or vintage cheddar
salt and pepper
approx 300 ml cream

Place the potatoes, onions and cheese in a casserole in three layers each in that order, seasoning each layer of potato and finishing with cheese on top. Carefully pour in the cream - use enough so that it comes about half way up the layers. Bake at 180 C for about an hour or until it is completely tender and starting to brown on top. If it starts to brown too much before it is tender cover with a lid or with foil.

Leave to settle out of the oven for at least ten minutes before serving.

carol113, May 10, 4:12am
Thanks David. Sounds really nice. do you think that you could use half cream and half milk at all.

davidt4, May 10, 4:26am
Milk tends to curdle, and if you use it the gratin might end up watery and unpleasant looking. I sometimes use half home made chicken stock and half cream if I want a lighter dish.

carol113, May 10, 6:36am
ok. thanks for advise.

wheelz, May 10, 8:18am
I made this one this week. was very nice.
https://bestrecipebox.com/creamy-gravy-scalloped-potatoes/
A little time saving tip. pour boiling water over the sliced spuds, let them sit for 5 mins in it, before arranging in your dish.
Or
Make the complete recipe and nuke until nearly fork tender, before baking. time will depend on size of dish, and m/wave wattage. As every time I make a scalloped potatoes dish,it always takes longer!

nzhel, May 10, 1:27pm
I often do mine in a crockpot and cook for several hours. I cook them on high for quite a while before turning the temp to low. This is in my elderly Sunbeam crockpot. I also have a new slow cooker which cooks a lot hotter and therefore is much faster tho prefer the Sunbeam.
Cooking the dish this way could be an option.

petal1955, May 10, 1:47pm
I par cook the potato slice up and add a soup m,ix being either omiom or creme of chichen and add cream and grated cheese bake for about 40 mins

lynja, May 10, 6:47pm
One of the nicest I have tasted was made with a Leggo's carbonara poured over the sliced potatoes. Grated cheese on top.

michele26, May 11, 2:14am
I do a real cheats potato dish Peel and cube as many spuds as you like a pot full .Boil till firm to touch parcooked drain and add bottle of cream and sachet of soup leek and potato,was yum but cant find it accept in soup for one sachets, so have been using those , or what ever you want onion etc mix together gently tip into the casarole dish you using sprinkle with cheese and cook about 20min to heat through and finish cooking. A family favorite never any leftovers .If dinner is late just keeps warm and good plate to reheat at potlucks etc .

pgta, May 11, 10:47am
Cream mixed with a tablespoon of chicken stock poured over sliced potatoes with cheese on top. Easy as.

craftylady1, May 12, 2:44am
I put a couple of desertspoons of milk in bottom of a casserole dish and add garlic. Layer fine slices of potato. I dont even bother to peel. then salt and pepper, then a layer of grated cheese, and repeat until you reach the level you want. Then cover the top with grated cheese and bake until golden brown.
Quick and easy, and the garlic goes through the spuds as the milk boils. Very yummy.

brightlights60, Sep 24, 8:02am
Sliced cooked potatoes, tomatoes, grated cheese, arranged in layers (potatoes, tomatoes, cheese, then repeated. I cube ham and sprinkle inbetween layers, plus parsley. Then mix up 3 eggs, 200ml milk with salt and pepper and pour over top. 45 minutes at 180 or until bubbling on top. Have had that recipe since I got it on a calendar from my first milkman as a married women, around 37 years ago and its still a family favourite. Out of season you can use the small cherry tomatoes sliced, when corgettes are in plentiful supply, use a couple of layers of those as well.