Celery?

clementine4, Oct 6, 6:11am
Hi. What is the story with storing celery once purchased please? Brought a whole bunch, it was crisp, placed in fridge and next day all is wilted. What is the secret please? Thank you.

nanasee1, Oct 6, 6:14am
Wrap tightly in foil or plastic. Other option is to chop what you don't need immediately and freeze it in small containers for use later in casseroles, curries etc. Well wrapped it will last a week or so.

clementine4, Oct 6, 6:21am
\

Thank you.
Should I trim it all and then just wrap all the long individual stalks in one lot of wrap then? And to freeze should I chop it into the small pieces to freeze.

wheelz, Oct 6, 6:33am
I trim off the skinny stalks and leaves and chop up small, pop into zip lock bag for freezing for soups, stews etc.
The remainder big stalks, leave the base on, and pop a plastic bag on each end and roll up, then into vege crisper. mine lasts 2-3 weeks.

valentino, Oct 6, 6:36am
Not so long ago asked a green grocer person why have Celery stalks trimmed and cut lengths all same size place into one of those special plastic trays fully wrapped and sealed with plastic wrap available on your shelves.
His answer was that it keeps fresh a lot longer and people who buys them buys them quite regularly because it does keep fresh as long as you keep it sealed even after taking some out to use.

Interesting !

wheelz, Oct 6, 7:01am
Interesting indeed. I find those go off faster than celery with base still intact.
Altho. not all vege crispers are created equal

korbo, Oct 6, 11:22pm
I have a Sistima oblong plastic container with a grill thing in bottom. cut and wash my celery in lenghts to suit, put in fridge. Kept fresh for 3-4 weeks.

clementine4, Oct 7, 1:41am
Thank you for all that info that you have posted.

hjrtraders, Oct 8, 12:21am
This is great for keeping all veges. Every few days pour off any water that accumulates under the grill bottom.

taurus2005, Oct 11, 2:59am
Just put in a plastic bag and don't let any air in. Stays crisp for ages. Things like lettuce gets crispier stored this way.

punkinthefirst, Oct 11, 4:18am
Well, a head (or even a half) is WAY too much for me. I tend to chop it into suitable bits and freeze in a zip-lock bag, leaving a couple of stalks in the fridge to use fresh.

calista, Dec 15, 2:56am
Clementine thanks for asking.

Everyone else thanks for answering.

I learn so many helpful hints on this board and good food storage information is helpful when you live alone.