Does anyone have Gardies fruit loaf recipes

craigen, Sep 28, 6:25am
Your help would be much appreciated
Please help need to make tonight if possible

unknowndisorder, Sep 28, 6:28am
Gardie's Christmas Cake (adapted from AWW Melt-and-mix fruit cake).

1 1/2 kg dried fruit *
1/2 - 1 cup alcohol of your choice (sherry, rum, whisky, brandy, contreau,
42 below feijoa - pick your poison!)
1 grated apple
1 big tablespoon honey
1 cup brown sugar
250grams melted butter.

Combine all the above ingredients and leave in a lidded bowl for a couple of days to mellow! Stir when you walk past and lick the spoon when done. (This step is not in the original recipe but I prefer to do this for umptious fruit).

When ready, stir in 4 eggs
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice.

Put into a deep 23cm round or 20cm square tin lined with three sheets of paper - I do 2-3 of newspaper and finish with a layer of baking paper. Make sure paper extends at least 5cm above the top of the tin.

Bake at 150degrees for 3 - 3 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle over some more of what you fancy - (between 2 tbsp - 1/3 cup). Fold paper over till within the tin and cover the whole lot tightly with tin roil and leave until cold. Remove from tin leaving lining paper in tact and wrap in a couple of layers of gladwrap. I like to store this in the back of the fridge but somewhere else cool is fine. You can pop on cherries and almonds before cooking if you don't ice your cake and then glaze with apricot jam. I do this bit after the alcohol but before covering so that the residual heat helps to disperse the jam nicely.
* mixed fruit or a combination - chopped dried apricots, cranberries, raisins, sultanas, mixed peel - have a look in the bulk bins at supermarkets/bin inn - some lovely different dried fruits there. Be adventurous!

gardie (411 411 positive feedback) 8:09 pm, Sat 22 Oct #20

craigen, Sep 28, 6:36am
Thanks was looking for a fruit loaf with crushed pinapple in it anyone have this at all?

unknowndisorder, Sep 28, 6:57am
400-500 g sultanas
Cover with water and simmer for 10 mins.Drain off most of the water and put in 225grams diced butter, 1 cup sugar, 1 tsp each of almond, lemon, vanilla essence and stir till butter melts.
Lightly beat 3 eggs and add with 1 3/4cups flour and 1 tsp baking powder.Put into tin.
Optional topping - chopped nuts and cherries sprinkled over cake before baking.
20cm square tin for 45-50 mins at 180 C.As soon as taken from over, squeeze over the juice of 1/2 a lemon (optional but yummy).
We sold heaps of these in our coffee shop.(We'd cut each one into 9 huge peices)

Chef_gardie, Dec 15, 2010, 6:27 pm

unknowndisorder, Sep 28, 6:59am
Sorry, just hunting through stackofrecipes but not seeing the whole recipe. will be back soon hopefully with the right recipe :)

unknowndisorder, Sep 28, 7:03am
Moist Pineapple and Date Loaf
Ready in 1 hour 15 minutes, serves 8.
• 439g tin crushed pineapple, drained (reserve 3 tbsp)
• 125g butter
• ½ cup sugar
• 1½ cups chopped dates
• 2 beaten eggs
• 2 cups self-raising flour
Glaze:
• ½ cup icing sugar
• 2 tbsp lemon juice
1. Grease well and line with baking paper a 23 x 13cm loaf pan. Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
2. Place together the first four ingredients and melt gently. Cool and add eggs and flour. Combine gently.
3. Place in pan and sprinkle on the reserved pineapple.
4. Bake 50 to 60 minutes. Check with skewer for progress.
5. When cool, glaze with icing sugar combined with lemon juice and drizzle over loaf.
Cook’s tip:
When you make a loaf, place a strip of paper running lengthways in the pan and up the sides. Even though you spray the pan with cooking spray, this step will make it easy to lift out the loaf when cooked and cooled.

petal1955 (309 309 positive feedback) 4:46 am, Sat 25 Oct #10

unknowndisorder, Sep 28, 7:05am
Or this one, which is from Gordy?
Maybe this one. gordy's fruit loaf with pineapple.
Preheat Oven 180c, line large loaf tin Ingredients, 125g butter,1 cup sugar, 1 tsp baking soda, 400g pkt mixed fruit (fruit mince, apricots & currants), 225g can of crushed pineapple (juice & all). Method:Boil above ingredients for approx 4 mins watch it doesn’t catch on the bottom and burn. LET IT COOL. Then add: 2 beaten eggs 2 cups flour (sifted with BP), 2 tsp baking powder, Mix together gently and pour into paper lined loaf tin – I use my largest loaf tin. Bake @ 180c for approx 1 hour 7 minutes. posted by lb1

Chef_fifie, Dec 30, 2010, 9:19 pm

craigen, Sep 28, 7:17am
you are an angel unknowndisorder I think I love you.

unknowndisorder, Sep 28, 7:30am
You are most welcome. it helped once knowing about the pineapple - there are lots of loaf threads and searching for Gardie came up with Xmas cake threads :)

lynja, Sep 28, 10:16am
unknownsidorder, all those recipes sound wonderful. Thank you. Plan to try one today!