Cottage/sheperds pie ?

Page 2 / 2
nauru, Oct 18, 5:53am
That reminds me of the corned beef pies my Mum & Granny used to make. Similar mixture, minced corned beef, cooked & mashed potato and chopped onion. Mixed together and put into a short crust pastry pie.

kay141, Oct 18, 6:24am
Oh, the days of food rationing. Looking back, it seems unbelievable how little people had to eat or wear.

rainrain1, Oct 18, 6:44am
A modern version

MEAT DREAMING
For Sunday brunch an egg at most
Accompanied by a side of toast,
On Monday what’s the cookie got
It’s beans a-simmer in the pot.
Tuesday we love pasta, right?
Pizza Wednesday, practice night.
Thursday with a price rise wince
We buy some Mad old Butchers mince.
Fish and chips, it’s Friday great
Come Saturday we dream of steak

rainrain1, Oct 18, 5:52pm
likes a lot

rainrain1, Oct 19, 3:26am
Chefs training ha ha not me, but I do have fully trained shepards who know a good Shepards Pie made with cold meat when they're hungry. Delicious , even if I do say so myself

karlymouse, Oct 19, 3:37am
My wonderful aunty made the most horrendous shepherds pie. she minced the left over roast meat, added water and onion, then as a treat put suet dumplings on the top. even as a child I knew this was BAD - still a wonderful woman but a woeful cook :)

rainrain1, Oct 19, 3:42am
could have been the whiskey, might have been the gin

olwen, Oct 19, 3:53am
My mother spoke of going out for afternoon tea near Dunedin.

"Is this mock cream in the cakes?"
"Yes, it comes from those mock cows over there?

kay141, Oct 19, 4:24am
Chances are, it was mock cream. Real milk, complete with cream was being turned into powder and sent overseas. And the mock cows, were there along with the mock chickens.When you became pregnant, you got a certificate from your Dr and that entitled you to 1lb of oranges a week. 1 pint of milk every 2 days (I think), certainly not every day and 1lb of white wool. Oranges were imported, milk exported and wool was being dyed khaki, navy or air force blue. Very little in the way of colours were available so old ones were unpicked along with clothes.

nauru, Oct 19, 7:00am
You don't need chefs training to make either a shepherd's or cottage pie and using cold cuts was how my Granny & Mum made them. It was a way of getting another meal for the family from what was left of Sundays roast.

kay141, Oct 19, 7:11am
I always thought the names were interchangeable and it seemed to depend on your ancestry. One for Scots and the other for English. Certainly did in my childhood neighbourhood. All were the same, minced cold meat, mixed with gravy and topped with mashed potato. Didn't seem to make a difference whether it was lamb or beef. It was never pork or chicken, they were luxury roasts in those days.

fewspot, Oct 19, 7:35am
My pet hate!

Shepherds Pie is made from the ground up COOKED meat left over from the sat/sunday roast.

cottage pei is made from fresh mince.

If yourve never tried it, then you should ,,,it tastes totally different useing the ground left over already cooked roast meat.

its the same thing with a cornish pastie, it has ground left over meat and usally some apple. the idea was the miner could hold the end of the pasty and eat it from one end, throwing the bit he was holding away as his hands were covered in dirt from the mine, and the apple was so he could have his meal & pudding at the same time.

sarahb5, Oct 19, 7:41am
Shepherds pie or cottage pie made with fresh mince is tasteless and *bleurk* - using roasted meat means you have all the flavour already.

Cornish pastes weren't made with mince traditionally at all, fresh or otherwise, but they had a dividing "line" of pastry with a sweet filling at one end and the crust for miners to use as a handle.

nfh1, Oct 19, 7:48am
I have never had a Cornish Pasty with ground meat in it. They usually have rump or braising steak in.

sarahb5, Oct 19, 7:51am
Care to enlighten us?

nauru, Feb 27, 3:45pm
Me neither, they are usually a mixture of steak, potato, onion and swede.