Recipe for nice moist frut loaf please

floralsun, Jan 31, 2:37am
Thanks arrowmax - will make your recipe this afternoon :-)

bev00, Feb 25, 11:42am
x1
NGREDIENTS
• Date Loaf (No Baking Soda)

• 1 cup chopped dates
• 3 tablespoons margarine
• 1 cup brown sugar (try golden syrup and or molasses)
• 1 cup water
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• ½ cup chopped walnuts
• 1 cup wholemeal flour or substitute (3/4 cup rolled oats & 1 1/14cup self raising flour)
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
HOW TO

1. Combine dates, margarine, sugar and water in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until mixture comes to the boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
2. Stir through egg, walnuts, sifted flours and baking powder.Spoon mixture into a lightly greased, lined 15cm x 25cm loaf tin.
3. Bake in moderate oven, 180C, for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and stand for 10 minutes before emptying on to a cooling rack.

Date & Walnut loaf

Ingredients
240g (1 1/2 cups) pitted dried dates, halved
310mls (1 1/4 cups) water
100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) dark brown sugar
80g butter, cubed
Melted butter, for greasing
300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
1 1/2 tsp mixed spice
2 eggs, lightly whisked
1 x 100g pkt walnut pieces
Method
Place the dates, water, brown sugar and butter in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes.
Remove from the heat and pour into a heat-resistant bowl. Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 170°C. Brush a 9.5cm x 19.5cm (base measurement) loaf pan with the melted butter to grease.
Sift the flour and mixed spice into a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs to the date mixture and stir to combine. Pour the date mixture into the flour mixture and use a wooden spoon to combine. Add the walnuts and stir to combine.
Spoon the mixture into the greased pan and bake in preheated oven for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean. Turn onto a wire rack to cool.

petal1955 (284 284 positive feedback) 5:43 pm, Tue 25 Feb #3

trishch, Apr 30, 4:56am
I have tried making a fruit loaf however it is fairly heavy, so hope someone has a nice moist one. Also find my date loaf from Edmonds book is not very moist not sure what I am doing wrong.
Many thanks

245sam, Apr 30, 5:00am
trishch, I promise you that unless overcooked the following produces a lovely moist loaf which can be either a date loaf or a date + sultanas and/or nut loaf.

DATE LOAF
1 cup each of dates and boiling water
1 tsp baking soda
¾ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp butter, softened
1 egg
1½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt

Place the dates in a bowl, then pour the boiling water over and sprinkle the baking soda over. Cover the bowl and leave until cold (overnight is ok).
Mix the brown sugar and butter, then add the egg and beat together until thick and spongy. Add the sifted flour, baking powder and salt, alternately with the date mixture. Place in a greased loaf tin.
Bake at 180°C for about 1 hour.
Variation: For a nice mixed fruit and nut loaf add, with the dates, about ½ cup sultanas and a few chopped nuts. :-))

trishch, Apr 30, 5:40am
Many thanks 245sam maybe my oven was partly the problem as always seemed to take forever to cook.

ange164, Apr 30, 8:17am
i've got almost the exact same recipe as 245 sam. Just a bit more dates and water really. It's moist and very good. It goes a bit sticky on top in the cake tin. To reduce my cooking time I put the recipe into two small loaf pans and then they only take 40 mins for the two of them. I use the small disposable foil ones from the supermarket. I just line them and they're re-usable many times. You can make it with feijoas instead of dates and it's good too. I like to chop wet preserved ginger in with the date version. Or a half cup of walnut pieces.

From Otumoetai college rowing cook book. 2003. "Favourite recipes"

Date loaf.
1 & 1/2 C dates chopped in half.
1 tsp soda.
2/3rds cup brown sugar.
1 & 1/2 C boiling water.
1 egg
1 T butter melted
1 t vanilla
1 t salt
1 & 1/2 C flour
1 t baking powder.

Put dates and soda into boiling water and let cool. (if it's not cool you get stodgy results.)
Add sugar, beaten egg, melted butter and vanilla.
Add flour, with salt and baking powder.
Turn into lined loaf tin and bake @170 for about 1 - 1 & 1/4 hours.

aw217, Apr 30, 8:42am
I had the recipy for a similar one to above but it had a cup of tea in it and you soaked the mixed fruit with it before adding it all to mixture. I wish I still had it. sorry I lost it. It was so moist.

245sam, Apr 30, 8:47am
aw217, was your 'lost recipe' the same as any of these that are all from the former Trademe Cooks?

"Barm Brack
1 cup cold tea,, 3/4 cup brown sugar,3cups mixed fruit - soak all together overnight.Stir in 2 cups S.R flour,1 egg,1 teaspoon mixed spice. Heat oven to 200, turn down to 150, when you put loaf in. Cover loaf with foil, bake for 1 - 1 1/2 hrs.
posted by marymc

Mine is 1 kg mixed fruit soaked in strong tea overnight,with 1 kg brown sugar, am don't drain juice, add 3 eggs 2tsp mixed spice 1 kg of flour and 3 tsp baking powder, I have never made this into a cake, but make it in two loaf tins. Irish Tea Brack is it real name, was swapped for a carrot cake receipe of mine buy a lovely Irish couple on holiday in NZ
posted by mackenzie2

Sultana Tea loaf
Soak 1&1/2 cups sultanas in 1&1/2 cup strong tea (about 6 teabags)for 1 hour or overnight. Add 1 egg, 1/2 tsp salt, 1&1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 heaped tsp baking powder. Bake in loaf tin 1 hour @ 180*C. YUMMY! Very old recipe. Mix should be sloppy, if soaking fruit overnight, add a litle more cold tea if required.
posted by campmum" :-))

trishch, Apr 30, 9:42pm
any thanks for the replies. Will give each one a go and hopefully I don't have a failure

bev00, Oct 25, 9:50am
Fruited tealoaf
300g mixed dried fruit
150g brown or raw sugar
150g butter
200ml cold strong tea
50ml fresh orange juice
275g self-raising flour
2tsp mixed spice optional
1. Place the dried fruit, sugar, butter, tea and orange juice in a sauce pan and heat gently until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved. Leave to cool for 30 mins.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base and sides of a loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
3. Sift the flour, mixed spice and a pinch of salt over the fruit mixture and mix thoroughly. Spoon into the lined tin.
4. Bake for 1hr 5 mins - 1 hr 10 mins until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin. Serve sliced and buttered.

pam.delilah (727 727 positive feedback) 8:08 pm, Sun 24 Jul #3
Sultana tea loaf
Soak 1 and a half cups sultanas in 1 and a half cups of strong tea (6 tea bags) for 1 hour or more
remove tea bags a sqeeze out excess tea
Add 1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1 and a half cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 heaped tsp baking powder

mix well, mix should be sloppy.
Pour into a lined loaf tin and bake 180*C for 1 hour

This recipe was given to me by a dear friend at work who is on a VERY TIGHT budget. I've just started one a few minutes ago before jumping on here and I've used a mix of normal tea and herbal tea bags. yum yum :)

whiskey13 (978 978 positive feedback) 8:30 pm, Sun 24 Jul #4
Cold Tea Loaf .

2 C flour
4 t baking powder
1 C brown sugar
1 C boiled tea
1 C dried fruit
1 t ginger
1/2 t cinnamon (I'm not a huge fan)

Place fruit in with the cup of boiled tea, leave for a few hours or overnight.
Next day (or later on) mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased loaf tin and cook for approx 1 hr 10 mins @ 160 deg C.
This not only freezes well but is STILL moist up to 5 days later (and oh so cheap to make!)
darlingmole (162 ) 2:01 pm, Mon 14 Feb

bev00 (1752 1752 positive feedback) 10:46 pm, Wed 30 May #5
Bev00 I have just made this loaf but there is no way that 1cup of tea will mix into 2cups of flour etc. I had to add at least another 1/2cup of tea into it to be able to mix it properly. I wonder whether it should only be 1 cup flour. darlingmole you would know. Its in the oven now so will see how it turns out.

samsnan (4 4 positive feedback) 10:33 am, Fri 19 Oct #6
This is a fat free one I was given by a sports nutritionist at my sons' school:

400g - 1000g mixed dried fruit
1 cup of black tea
1 cup of orange juice
2 cups of self raising flour

Soak the fruit in the tea and juice for at least 2 hours or preferably overnight. Add flour. Bake for 2 hours at 150c until golden brown.

sarahb5 (1524 1524 positive feedback) 10:38 am, Fri 19 Oct #7
whiskey13 wrote:
Sultana tea loaf
Soak 1 and a half cups sultanas in 1 and a half cups of strong tea (6 tea bags) for 1 hour or more
remove tea bags a sqeeze out excess tea
Add 1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1 and a half cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 heaped tsp baking powder

mix well, mix should be sloppy.
Pour into a lined loaf tin and bake 180*C for 1 hour

This recipe was given to me by a dear friend at work who is on a VERY TIGHT budget. I've just started one a few minutes ago before jumping on here and I've used a mix of normal tea and herbal tea bags. yum yum :)

This is fantastic recipe !

supercook (440 440 positive feedback) 10:40 am, Fri 19 Oct #8
vourite -
1 cup bran. 1 cup sultanas or dried fruit. 1 cup sugar. soak in 1 cup cold tea for about an hour. Add 1 cup SR flour and bake about 180 till done. easy as and delicious warm with butter. so good

jag5 (409 409 positive feedback) 1:52 pm, Wed 24 Oct #10

bev00, Oct 25, 10:38am
Family favourite -
1 cup bran. 1 cup sultanas or dried fruit. 1 cup sugar. soak in 1 cup cold tea for about an hour. Add 1 cup SR flour and bake about 180 till done. easy as and delicious warm with butter. so good

jag5 (409 409 positive feedback) 1:52 pm, Wed 24 Oct #10
This is a Jan Bilton one. I used Tasti Fruit Medley in the mix which was great as it includes peaches, apples and pear which I diced and then they swelled in the hot tea and were lovely. Currants, sultana's, cranberries and cherries work well too.

2 c mixed dried fruit
1 cup strong, hot green tea with lemon
1 Tbsp golden syrup
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 c sugar (I used 1/4 and plenty sweet enough)
1 1/2 c wholemeal flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 170C. Lightly oil a 21cmx10x6.5 loaf pan or line with baking paper.
Place the dried fruit in a bowl. Pour over the hot tea and add golden syrup. Stir and leave until cool.
Stir in the egg and sugar. Add the flour, BP and cinnamon. Mix until just moistened. Pour into the prepared loaf pan. Bake 50-60 min or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool.

It's really moist too.

wildflower (3 ) 4:19 pm, Wed 24 Oct #11

petal1955, Oct 25, 3:46pm
Moist Pineapple and Date Loaf
Ready in 1 hour 15 minutes, serves 8.
• 439g tin crushed pineapple, drained (reserve 3 tbsp)
• 125g butter
• ½ cup sugar
• 1½ cups chopped dates
• 2 beaten eggs
• 2 cups self-raising flour
Glaze:
• ½ cup icing sugar
• 2 tbsp lemon juice
1. Grease well and line with baking paper a 23 x 13cm loaf pan. Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
2. Place together the first four ingredients and melt gently. Cool and add eggs and flour. Combine gently.
3. Place in pan and sprinkle on the reserved pineapple.
4. Bake 50 to 60 minutes. Check with skewer for progress.
5. When cool, glaze with icing sugar combined with lemon juice and drizzle over loaf.
Cook’s tip:
When you make a loaf, place a strip of paper running lengthways in the pan and up the sides. Even though you spray the pan with cooking spray, this step will make it easy to lift out the loaf when cooked and cooled.

elsielaurie1, Oct 26, 2:44am
Weet-bix Loaf. A really easy, moist loaf.

Crush 4-5 weet-bix into a bowl. Add 225g sugar, 140g sultanas, 50g butter, 1tspn Baking soda. Mix together and pour over 1c (250ml) boiling water. Leave for about 5mins. Stir well. Add 1 beaten egg, 125g self-raising flour, 1.5tspn mixed spice. Bake in a lined loaf tin 1hour @ 180oC.

arrowmax, Oct 26, 10:36pm
I have always had success with this one.

Juicy Fruity Banana Loaf
Joan Bishop

A very moist tangy loaf which does not need buttering. It contains no eggs, oil, butter or margarine. It is ideal as a low fat snack. Use packet variety dried fruit (or supermarket bin) if the loaf is to be every day fare. To jazz it up and make it special vary the fruit. The weight must be 250g whichever combination of dried fruits you choose. If after 35-40 minutes cooking, it appears to be browning too much, cover with a sheet of greaseproof paper over the top.

250g dried fruit
120g grated carrot (1 medium carrot)
1 cup orange juice
2 Tbsp lemon juice
70g brown sugar
2 small bananas (250g) thinly sliced
225g self-raising flour
2 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp baking soda

Lightly oil the sides of a 6-7 cup capacity loaf tin and line the base with non stick paper.
Place dried fruits, carrot, orange juice, lemon juice and brown sugar in a medium to large saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer uncovered for five minutes.
Cool to room temperature. Add the sliced bananas to the saucepan and stir.
Stir in the sifted dry ingredients and mix well. This is a fairly stiff mixture.
Spread into the prepared tin and bake in an oven preheated to 170C for about and hour or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for five minutes then run a knife around the edge and invert the loaf on to a wire rack to cool.

arrowmax, Jan 30, 11:57pm
And this one of Jo Seagar's is also popular

Healthy Raisin Bran Loaf
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup bran
2 cups raisins,
or substitute other dried fruits, sultanas, apricots etc
2 cups raw sugar
2 cups milk
2 cups self raising flour

Preheat oven to 150°C. Grease or spray with non stick baking spray, 1 large loaf tin.
Soak the rolled oats, bran, raisins and sugar in the milk for 10 minutes. Stir in the flour and spoon into the tin.
Bake for 1 1/2 hours. Cool on a wire rack. This is great served buttered and it can be toasted too. Good if there’s no bread in the house.