Making mint jelly

anne1955, Nov 3, 7:38am
Ok I hear you ask why lol because it can be done because I have a kilo of mint picked, and don't have freezer space. I did some at weekend using an Aunt Daisy recipe but mint sunk and lacks colour. I did stir it in the jars of and on but didn't work. How to Coleman's do it :) ok can toss in a drop of food colour to green it up. But there must be a trick to suspend things in jelly so they look pretty? Any ideas would be great thanks.

petal1955, Nov 3, 4:55pm
Digby Law’s Mint Jelly

• "This is delicious with cold meats, especially mutton or lamb."
1 cup each of malt vinegar, water and finely chopped fresh mint
2 tbsp sugar
4 tsp powdered gelatine
Bring the vinegar, water and sugar to the boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Boil for a few minutes. Sprinkle the gelatine over a little cold water, let stand for a few minutes to soften, then stir it into the vinegar mixture until it is dissolved. Add the mint. Remove from the heat and allow to cool, but not set. Spoon into small, clean jars and cover.

petal1955, Nov 3, 4:58pm
MINT JELLY
• 8 Tbsp sugar (I used a little less)
2 cups white wine vinegar (I used 1 3/4 white wine, 1/4 malt for depth of colour)
1 packet lime jelly crystals
1/2 cup sherry
30 mint leaves, chopped
good handful of finely chopped rosemary leaves
Heat vinegar, sugar and jelly crystals until sugar dissolved. Add sherry, mint and rosemary.
Pour into very clean, oven-heated jars. Top with boiled lids.
(This will fill three smallish jars)
Cool, then refrigerate. Shake vigorously every half hour or so to distribute herbs.
Probably pay to keep it in the fridge.

anne1955, Jul 22, 8:53am
Thanks people will try both but my mint always falls to bottom :( and want to over come that as well.