Pineapple Pickle

sherrydog, Nov 12, 3:53am
Have lost my favourite recipe! It was a tin of crushed pineapple, (I think) a kilo of onions, vinegar, mustard, curry - not sure of quantities or ingredients but if anyone has this I would be very glad if you could put it up. Am all ready with jars etc and would like to get it done soon to use as small Christmas presents. Thanks.

kaddiew, Nov 12, 4:08am
I don't have that recipe, sorry, but saw this one of Alison Holst's I thought I'd try. It's not a keeper, though, so would be interested to see your one if anyone has it.

Alison Holst’s PICKLED PINEAPPLE
1 x ~440g can pineapple slices or pieces – I always use pineapple in juice
¼ cup vinegar
½ cup sugar
4-6 whole cloves
¼ tsp each of cinnamon and ginger
pinch salt
Drain syrup/juice from pineapple into saucepan containing remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes (until liquid is reduced to 1 cup). Add pineapple, return to boil, then remove from heat. Arrange fruit attractively in a straight sided jar. Fill with syrup. Refrigerate 24 hours before use.
Store in refrigerator.
Notes from Alison: "These are not true pickles, in that they will not keep indefinitely. They are, however, delicious and unusual, and may be stored for several weeks in the refrigerator. I always make them the day before I plan to serve them, although I feel they are probably at their best a day or two after this.
Serve pickled pineapple with hot or cold meat - poultry, ham, roast pork - or even with sausages."

rainrain1, Nov 12, 4:46am
x3
Is this the one?

2 large onions finely chopped
2 cups crushed pineapple
2 cups sugar
2 cups white vinegar
2 tsp curry powder
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp salt
2 Tblsp flour
Simmer pineapple, and onion till onion is tender.
Add sugar, most of vinegar, and bring to boil.
add spices, thicken with rest of vinegar and the flour, stirring till thickened.
Simmer 10-15 minutes. Bottle

sherrydog, Jul 3, 10:48am
This wasn't the one rainrain1 but if the original doesn't surface (sigh!), yours looks pretty good. Many thanks for putting it up.