Super-moist bran and fruit loaf recipe

bluetigerrr, Jun 11, 1:54am
Hi . I'm wanting a recipe for a sultana or any dried fruit loaf which is super-moist. Does anyone have one of these? I'd like to make it in a loaf pan preferably. Many thanks :)

245sam, Jun 11, 2:06am
bluetigerrr, there's no bran in either of these loaves but the first one is IMO really really "super moist", the second one (in the recipe below) is moist too but not to the same extent as this one:-

http://www.foodinaminute.co.nz/Recipes/Apple-and-Date-Loaf

DATE LOAF
1 cup each of dates and boiling water
1 tsp baking soda
¾ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp butter, softened
1 egg
1½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt

Place the dates in a bowl, then pour the boiling water over and sprinkle the baking soda over. Cover the bowl and leave until cold (overnight is ok).
Mix the brown sugar and butter, then add the egg and beat together until thick and spongy. Add the sifted flour, baking powder and salt, alternately with the date mixture. Place in a greased loaf tin. Bake at 180°C for about 1 hour.
Variation: For a nice mixed fruit and nut loaf add, with the dates, about ½ cup sultanas and a few chopped nuts.

Hope that helps. :-))

bluetigerrr, Jun 11, 8:10am
Many many thanks 245sam . that's terrific. I'll try both :)))

biggles45, Jun 13, 9:29am
A favourite here although haven't made it for a while.
I use a small coffee mug as the cup measure because this is a UK recipe and they tend not to use cup measures like in NZ. It is great sliced and spread with butter like a malt loaf.

1 cup All Bran
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 cup mixed dried fruit
1 cup self raising flour

Mix the All Bran, sugar, milk and dried fruit together. Cover and leave to soak overnight.
In the morning stir in the self raising flour.
Spoon the mixture into a lined and greased 2lb loaf tin.
Bake at 190C/fan for about an hour.

wildflower, Jun 14, 3:15am
There was one on the Herald/Bite site a few weeks ago that looked great that I'm yet to try by Kathy Paterson, it's described as dense but moist and has dried fruit and carrot and pumpkin.
http://www.bite.co.nz/recipe/12642/Fruit-loaf/

bluetigerrr, May 27, 5:55pm
Great biggles45 and wildflower . just what I was looking for more of. Am about to try the Kathy Paterson one :) Many thanks to your both as well.