Dairy free and gluten free cake.

kiwibubbles, Jun 11, 10:50am
i need to make a dairy free and gluten free cake - it needs to be decorated so i don't want one of those almond mealcakes made from oil and has syrup drizzled over it either. I want to use Annabe Langbeins ultimate chocolate cake recipe. would it just be a matter of substituting butter for olivio, and the flour for edmon'ds GF flour? is it that simple or not?

245sam, Jun 11, 1:33pm
kiwibubbles, how about using this recipe of Destitute Gourmet Sophie Gray's? It's from her book "Enjoy!"

DANA’S GLUTEN-FREE AND DAIRY-FREE CHOCOLATE CAKE
For the Cake:
2 cups gluten-free baking mix # 1 (see below), extra if needed
2 tsp guar gum
1½ cups sugar
⅔ cup cocoa powder
1½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup soy or rice milk or water
100g non-dairy spread, melted
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence

For the Frosting:
250g (about 1½ cups) gluten-free
icing sugar (available from cake decorating suppliers)
100g non-dairy spread, softened
⅓ cup cocoa
1 tsp vanilla essence
water to mix

Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm ring tin and line the base with non-stick baking paper.
Put all the ingredients for the cake into a processor and mix or combine in a bowl and beat until smooth - the batter should be thick but still able to be poured. Add more baking mix until the right texture is achieved. Pour into the prepared tin.
Bake for at least 1 hour, until the cake has risen, springs back when gently pressed, and a skewer poked into the centre of the cake comes out clean.

To make the frosting, place icing sugar, non-dairy spread, cocoa and vanilla in a processor or bowl and combine. Add a dash of water and mix, continuing until you achieve a soft spreadable icing.
Slice the cake in half horizontally and spread some frosting on the bottom half. (You can also spread jam or berry puree.) Replace the top half and cover the whole cake with the frosting. Refrigerate to firm up the frosting.

Cook's tips:
• Use a ring tin when making gluten-free cakes as the mixture cannot stretch to support its own weight during rising.
• Use high-quality baking cocoa with no starch or thickeners - I use Cadbury's Bourneville.

Egg allergy:
I have successfully made this cake gluten and dairy free and, equally successfully, dairy and egg free, but when I tried to eliminate the gluten, dairy products and eggs it was nasty. You may have more success with a different flour blend - if so please let me know.

GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR MIX # 1
This flour mix when used in conjunction with eggs produces a strong enough structure for good bread and some cakes. It has no bitter aftertaste and all the ingredients can be purchased very cheaply from Asian and Indian food stores.

2 cups glutinous rice flour
1 cup potato starch flour
1 cup tapioca flour/starch

Mix the ingredients together and sift into an airtight container to store and use as required for bread, and high cakes that require more structure.

Hope that helps. :-))

chchpukeko, Jun 2, 7:09pm
That chocolate cake is absolutely amazing. I've made it many times and it is super easy and yummy.
I have always just used a purchased GF flour though. I'm currently loving the Edmonds one.