Hot Cross Bun Recipes

Page 2 / 2
sarahb5, Mar 29, 4:43am
Made the Chelsea recipe but the dough was very wet and messy - flavour was good though. Might try the Alison Holst one too.

nauru, Mar 29, 6:15am
Sarah, the AH recipe is a good one, I found it years ago in her bread book, the result was good so I have stuck to it, although I have tried many others too but I go back to this one. Made a batch today and they are lovely, I use nutmeg in place of cloves (our preference) and add 1 teasp ground cardamon to the spices, nice flavour.
I've CP'd ballitos post of the recipe for you.

ALISON HOLTS RECIPE:
1/2 cup each warm milk and water
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tsp active dried yeast
4 cups (560g) high-grade flour
75g butter barely melted
1 large egg
1 tsp salt
1 tbpn each mixed spice and cinnamon
1 tsp each ground cloves and vanilla essence
1 cup mixed fruit or currants

Bread Machine Instructions
Measure all ingredients into 750g capacity breach machine in order specified by manufacturer. Set to DOUGH cycle and Start. Add mixed fruit at beep depends on machine. When cycle complete shape and bake.

Divide dough evenly into four pieces then again into four or five so you have 16 or 20 pieces. Shape each into a round ball. Arrange in sprayed pans leaving space between. Cover with cling film and leave in warm place until doubled in size.

Add crosses if desired. Bake 225 for 10-12 mins or until lightly browned.

Glaze immediately using equal parts of golden syrup, honey and water.

sarahb5, Mar 29, 7:02am
Thanks - will try this recipe for my next batch - have made 2 batches this week so they don't last long! Might see if I can find a recipe for chocolate ones .

bev00, Mar 31, 9:39am
these sound good - just use plain flour instead of GF flour
Hot Cross Buns

Yeast Mix: 2 tsp sugar, 1 1/2 cups warm water, 1 1/2 Tbsp active dried yeast

1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp each of chinese five spice, cinnamon and nutmeg
2/3 cup powdered skim milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 1/4 cups GF Baking Flour

3 eggs
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp cider vinegar

Dried Fruit: 1/2 cup mixed peel (diced finely), 1/2 cup boiling water

Glaze: orange juice or 1/4 cup sugar dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water

Crosses: 1 cup cornflour, 1/4 tsp GF Baking Powder, 1 tbsp semisoft butter, 1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to low. Dissolve sugar in warm water then add yeast and let it ferment for 5-10 minutes. Combine dry ingredients in an electric blender. Mix together eggs, oil and vinegar and add to the flour mixture, beat. Add yeast mix and blend on high for three minutes. Add dried fruit. Grease large muffin tins and spoon in the runny mixture. Rise, covered with a tea towel in a preheated oven set to low for 35-40 minutes. Remove and raise the temperature to 190oC. Brush buns with warmed orange juice. Blend Butter into flour and baking powder, whisk in milk and then pipe a cross on top of each bun. Bake 30 minutes or until lightly browned.

fishnwally (715 715 positive feedback) 1:42 pm, Sat 29 Mar #3
http://www.healtheries.co.nz/healthy-and-gluten-free-recipes
/gluten-and-wheat-free-recipes-
/breads/gluten-free-hot-cross--

buns

geldof (97 97 positive feedback) 3:41 pm, Sat 29 Mar #4

sarahb5, Apr 5, 11:47am
These were the best of the 3 recipes I tried - my daughter even gave some to a friend who runs a cafe!

village.green, Apr 5, 8:54pm
Well I made the Paul Hollywood ones with fresh fruit (as well as dried) and although they end result was really tasty (as tested by the husband and two teens) they were a complete pain in the bum to make and because they had sooo much fruit in, were really hard to shape. I reverted back to the tried and trusted Alison Holst recipe above and they were fab. So today I am going to make a batch of those and a batch of Simon Holst's choc hot cross buns as daughter wanted to have a go.

paora-tm, Apr 5, 9:11pm
Accidentally bought chocolate easter buns from countdown once - blardy awful! I hope the birds enjoyed them.

sarahb5, Apr 5, 9:19pm
Oh let me know how the chocolate ones go - I don't like them but the kids do

marcs, Apr 7, 6:23am
This one here is very similar to the one I make from the Australian Womens Weekly. Very slight difference but I find here in Australia these buns turn out very dry. When I made them in NZ using High Grade Flour they were very much in demand. I will give this a go and see if the slight changes will make a difference.

village.green, Oct 29, 1:15am
I piked out of making the chocolate ones yesterday, but would still like to try.
I made a batch of 16 of the normal ones as mentioned above - delish.