Coconut cake

strowan1, Jul 20, 6:51am
Can anyone help with a reliable moist coconut cake recipe. Many thanks

nauru, Jul 20, 8:06am
I used to make a nice one from my AWW cake book, it's topped with coconut ice type icing and very moist, definitely a special treat cake, that's why I said "used to make". I can post the recipe tomorrow if you like.

pam.delilah, Jul 20, 8:43am
Coconut Cake
1 cup hot milk
2 tblsp melted butter
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups self rising flour
1/2 cup coconut
Topping
50 g butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tblsp cream
1/2 cup coconut

Mix the milk and butter together and set aside.
Put the eggs and sugar into a food processor and process for 2 minutes or until light.
Sprinkle in the sifted flour and pulse into the egg mixture with the hot milk and coconut. Do not over-process.
Turn the mixture into a well greased, floured and lined 20cm round cake tin.
Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cake rack to cool.

Topping:
Melt butter and brown sugar together.
Add the cream and stir in the coconut.
Allow to cool and thicken slightly.
.Make up the topping and spread over the top of the cake.
Place the cake under a medium grill for 3-5 minutes until the toping is browned.
Watch it all the time and do not allow it to burn.8.Cut into slices when cold.

pam.delilah, Jul 20, 8:45am
Coconut Cake with Light Lemon Icing
Ingredients
1 cup brown sugar (packed)
125g butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 cups standard flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup coconut
1/2 cup milk
3 eggs (whisked)
Oven temp: 160degC
Method
Grease or line a 21cm round cake tin.
In a pot, melt together the sugar, butter and vanilla over a low heat and give it a good stir.
Once it's nice and smooth, take it off the heat and sieve the flour and baking powder in with the coconut and mix it through.
Chuck in the whisked eggs and milk together and give the batter a which for a minute or so.
Tip it into your prepped tin.
Bake about 45 - 50 minutes.
Suggestion:
Make a standard lemon icing but with a touch more water. Just a touch though. You don't want the icing too liquid! Spread it over a warm cake and it'll go nice and runny and drip down the sides

pam.delilah, Jul 20, 8:45am
Coconut angel food cake
• 1 3/4 cups egg whites (12 to 14)
• 1 cup sifted plain flour
• 1/4 cup sifted corn flour
• 1 3/4 cups caster sugar
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/4 tsp almond extract
• 1 cup desiccated coconut
• 180 grams dark cooking chocolate
n a large bowl, let egg whites warm to room temperature. Sift flours with three-quarters of a cup of caster sugar, re-sift three times and set aside. Beat egg whites until foamy, add salt and cream of tartar and beat until egg whites hold shape.
Beat in remaining sugar a quarter of a cup at a time, until peaks are stiff, moist and shiny. Using a whisk, fold in extracts. Sift flour mixture, a quarter at a time, over egg whites and fold in.
Pour a quarter of the mix into ungreased tube pan, cover with coconut and repeat. Bake in oven preheated to 180C for 35-40 minutes.
Invert pan, tip out and allow to cool. Pour on warm glaze.
For the glaze
Melt 180 grams dark cooking chocolate and one tablespoon butter in a saucepan over hot water. Add three tablespoons maple syrup and two of milk, stirring until smooth.

awoftam, Jul 20, 8:46am
Edmonds cook book.

strowan1, Feb 26, 4:02pm
Thank you so very much for these replies, I'm looking forward to finding some new favourites as those I've already tried have been dry and disappointing. These look wonderful. Thank you again.