When icing a Christmas cake?

ljayl, Dec 19, 7:38am
do I unwrap it and leave for a while . or do I put the marzipan straight onto it? I am then going to ice it with the brandy butter icing ,,,do I let the marzipan set at all or ice straight onto that ?
Oh and I have read you put apricot jam onto cake before the marzipan . why is this? Is this needed and would orange marmalade do it it has to be done ? So many ? Merry Christmas one and all XXX

gilligee, Dec 19, 8:47am
Any jam can be used, you can use up old stock. Warm it in the microwave and add some water to it to bruch on easily. It is used to hold the almond icing on.
The top icing can go on when ever you like, straight away if you wish.
Have you had it in the freezer that you need to unwrap it? Anyway you can ice it frozen if need be. I store mine in an airtight tin.

ljayl, Dec 19, 7:56pm
Thanks Gilligee . at 59 years I have made my first ever proper Christmas cake . it has not been frozen but wrapped in greaseproof layers then tin foil . I have been feeding it brandy every week or 2 since it was made . I want it to be perfect so have the best marzipan I could buy and then will finish off with the brandy butter icing and decorations (could not get my hands on any silver balls tho" :(
So do I let the marzipan set before the brandy icing ?
Thanks and Merry Christmas

gilligee, Dec 19, 10:01pm
That sounds delicious.
The only marzipan I have used is quite firm when rolled out and can be iced straight away if you wish. On the other hand if you leave it until the next day it will be Ok too.
PS I have been making Christmas cakes for what seems like most of last century and now as none of my children like Christmas cake I buy a block from Couplands and my husband loves it! Perhaps I am not the right person to offer you advice!

cgvl, Dec 20, 1:46am
I always let the marzipan sit for 24 hours at least before putting any other icing on top. I believe its to help stop the cake and icing sweating in our summer heat.
I tend to either not ice or ice with butter icing straight onto the cake these days.

nauru, Dec 20, 4:55am
It's normal practice to leave the marzipan to dry out for a day or so before putting on the top coat of icing. This is so the oil from the almonds in the marzipan doesn't seep through the top coating. I always make my own almond icing with ground almonds, never used the almond icing you can buy as it's just flavoured fondant icing, not an almond in it.

valentino, Dec 20, 6:44am
Yep, Homemade is far superior.

Also agree with timing, even allow 2 days on some.

Royal icing is best done in layers, do a thin layer, does not matter if there are patches of marzipan showing, allow to dry say a day, then the next layer and so on until you're satisfied.

You can do the layers quicker and much less than a day, perhaps a couple hours at least though but very thin layers.

Brandy butter icing should be nice too as the OP noted but once again in thin layers.
Cheers

ljayl, Dec 22, 1:13am
I bought the marzipan and it is made with real almonds . cake was fully cover top and sides today . with ice with the brandy butter icing tomorrow :-)

leebee35, Dec 22, 6:48am
Homemade is Almond paste so is quite different from Marzipan.
As above you need the almond paste to dry out for a few days or my recipe you toast it. I was like toast what on earth does than mean - it was cooked for 15-20mins. Sadly it is well toasted - check it on Instagram under name. lol

gilligee, Dec 22, 7:41pm
We would all like a piece please?
Our mouths are watering.

fifie, Dec 22, 7:56pm
This year I'm cutting my cake in half, one bit just put almond icing on, other will freeze, as none of kids eat fruit cake, tomorrow or next day depending on humidity and heat will cover with brandy butter icing and silver balls, should keep old boy happy he loves it.

ljayl, Dec 22, 10:59pm
Well marzipan has dried and firm quite nicely . can't wait to make the brandy butter icing and decorate . wish I had some of your balls fifie :-)
Will post a pic when we are all finished :-)

ljayl, Dec 23, 5:07am
Very happy with the outcome . hopefully will taste as good as I hope it does . not sure I will ever make another but glad I can say I have made one real Christmas cake in my lifetime :-)

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/435029499.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/435029549.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/435029440.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone and God Bless you all.

wendalls, Dec 23, 5:22am
Mm looks good! Looks nicer than the fake almond flavoured fondant that puts a lot of people off fruit cake. (As Nauru and Valentino have clarified for me why. )

fifie, Dec 23, 10:07pm
Your cake looks beautiful ljayl well done, have a Merry Xmas.

sampa, Dec 23, 10:19pm
Fabulous! The icing looks luscious. Yum.

valentino, Dec 24, 12:32am
Congratulations, now enjoy your Christmas knowing you've done things yourself. the real true gift, homemade and done with personal thoughts.

Cheers.

summersunnz, Mar 3, 3:44pm
Congratulations. it looks wonderful. :-)