Best way to cook pork belly?

Page 2 / 2
cageyduchess, Jul 20, 7:16pm
Chelsea Winter (Masterchef winner) also has a really good easy recipe on her website.

babytears, Jul 21, 9:51am
I say go with the Annabel Langbein recipe too. I really dislike pork, but was encouraged no end to taste this recipe and I was very pleasantly surprised, it's delicious!

jaygee1962, Jul 21, 9:39pm
This recipe from Allyson Gofton is fabulous - http://www.allysongofton.co.nz/recipe/?r=2741. Fail safe and so tasty!

spotswood, Jul 23, 4:46am
I've done Chelsea's recipe and it turned out beautifully,next time I'm getting a bigger piece of pork! also on Australian masterchef Maggie Beer did a great pork belly on one of the masterclasses ,so I would think her recip[e is on that site.

cookessentials, Jul 23, 4:52am
I often do it in milk which is the traditional Italian way of doing it, however, you have to pop it under the grill just before it is cooked, to get the crispy crackling because the steam from the milk softens it. Maggie beer's one could have been her Seville Vino Cotto glazed pork belly?

korbo, Aug 6, 3:13am
have Allyson Goftons pork belly recipe in the fridge marinating.
It smells really yummy.
will let you all know tomorrow how it turned out.

cookessentials, Aug 6, 3:19am
oooh, please do.

korbo, Aug 7, 7:01am
Ooooohhhh, mmmmmm, that pork belly was just heaven.
I (for once) followed the recipe correctly, and it was absolutly delicious.
truely recommend to others.
Hubby had a friend call in just as we were serving up, he said it was the nicest bit of pork he had had for a while.
It was a belly from a wild pig, and I dont normally eat wild meat, but tonight, I excelled and ***stuffed*** myself. lol

cookessentials, Aug 7, 8:20am
Fabulous, glad you enjoyed it.

valentino, Dec 13, 7:26am
The last time I cooked a pork belly was devoured too quickly, it was virtually one of the best I've had.

The Slab had an unusual flatness that it was not level across the skin at al, parts of it looked quite thin, parts was quite soft.

However scoured it, rubbed olive oil all over, cracked some rock salt all over, slow cooked at 130C for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, then brushed all over the skin surface some liquid honey, then cracked some more salt but at the next setting and under the grill to grill watching so not to burn but enough to pop the salts then back to 130C for 15 minutes mainly to get that honey cooked in a bit.

Hmmm, end result, on this one was very little crackle but oh my gosh, when cut into big bite squares was absolutely lovely, far better than the crackle. The skin was beautiful, tender and with the rest of the portion including the meat and that wee bit of fat was divine.
My partner kept a couple of pieces in the fridge to see what it was like cold or chilled, in the morning superb.

smallwoods, Dec 13, 10:20am
Try coconut milk.

nunesy, Dec 14, 5:02am
I've bought pork belly from restaurants before and it was really disappointing - VERY fatty and almost no meat. Is there a trick or tips to look for when buying pork belly as I'd like to try Chelsea Winter's recipe for a family Christmas this weekend. Are supermarket ones fine, or do you need to get it from a butcher? Never cooked pork before in my life!

valentino, Dec 14, 7:41am
nunsey, the last piece I got was from Pak'N'Save Lincoln Road and you being not far from there perhaps worthy of a visit to their butchery counter, personal service is always great, tell them my success as noted above and more likely will bend over backwards to make you very happy. They are excellent in this store and I appreciate them, more so than my local one in Mt Albert.

Just ask for a nice special piece, no bones, nice meaty piece, etc, give them the details of numbers etc and they will assist but only at that meat counter.

Cheers

chchgurl, Dec 14, 8:32am
yes, I do this too, everyone always loves it

dianavan, Dec 16, 5:36am
Use fan grill for the last few min. It just blows the crackling up amazingly.

nunesy, Dec 16, 6:17pm
Thanks valentino, good to know, might try that Pak n Save. I saw a pork belly at the butchers yesterday and it was pretty small - the Chelsea Winter recipe said it feeds six but it looked way too small for six adults. Would you serve it with other meat too or does it really go that far? Thanks again.

valentino, Dec 16, 7:01pm
I would not serve it with other meats, it has it's own unique taste and best to keep it as such.

Numbers for Serving, work with a figure say 200 to 250 grams per person.
It will shrink a little but that is because the fats/liquids are released.
Once you've done one then you will be better of next time what size to get.

I usually tell the butcher/assistant the size I want plus a little bit extra.

I'm not a fan of Chelsea Winters, so cannot comment on her recipes.

Cheers

kindajojo, Dec 17, 7:28am
Yes use a really tart cider.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 3, 9:09am
Bump. Good ideas here.