1 large garlic clove
200g cooked chestnuts, peeled and roughly chopped
freshly ground black pepper
150ml oz dark beer
1.5kg pork belly
sea salt
Preparation method
1. Preheat the oven to 230C
2. Place a roasting tin over a medium heat and add the oil from the can of anchovies and the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes, or until softened but not coloured.
3. Roughly chop the anchovies and add to the pan, along with the
chopped chestnuts. Season with freshly ground black pepper and
pour in the beer.
4. Score the pork belly skin with a sharp knife, at 1cm/½in intervals and rub with salt and olive oil. Place the pork into the roasting pan,
making sure it covers the chestnut mixture.
5. Roast for 30 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 160C and roast for a further three hours, or until the pork is very tender and the skin is crisp and golden-brown.
6. To serve, thickly slice the pork belly and spoon over the chestnut
mixture from the pan.

thewomble1, Jan 1, 12:57pm
Great meal but does not have crispy crackle.
Braised Pork belly, soft boiled egg and noodles
Ingredients
400g pork belly, cleaned and trimmed
Braising stock
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
2 baby leeks, stalk only, washed and trimmed
4 spring onions, stalk only, root discarded
1½ cups beef stock
½ cup chicken stock
¼ cup light soy
2-3 tablespoon dark vinegar
METHOD
1. For braising stock, heat oil in a pressure cooker over a medium high heat. Add peppercorns, leeks and spring onion and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in stocks, soy sauce and black vinegar and bring to the boil.

2. Carefully add pork, skin side up and fit lid, ensuring you have a tight seal. Adjust heat to a medium low heat, ensuring the pressure is keep at a good temperature and cook for 40-45 minutes. Remove from heat and release pressure. Don’t remove lid, allow pork to rest in the pressure cooker for 10-15 minutes.

3. Remove lid from pressure cooker, remove pork and place on a chopping board and cover until required.

4. Pour remaining braising liquid into a saucepan over a medium heat and reduce until thick and slightly syrupy. Adjust flavor to taste with extra sugar, soy or stock. Pass through a sieve and set aside until required.

5. For boiled eggs, bring a saucepan half filled with water to the boil. Carefully lower eggs into the water and cook for 5 minutes. Plunge into iced water to cool completely. Carefully peel shells from the eggs and set to one side.

6. To serve, thinly slice pork to 1cm thick slices. Divide noodles between 4 serving bowls, place 3-4 slices of pork on top with a boiled egg, spring onions, shiso leaves and pour over reduced braising liquid.

wheelz, Jan 2, 3:41am
I always use this one. Simple and tasty!

kara101, Jan 2, 10:03pm
I always thought Pork and Milk were a bad food combination and gave you major gut pain. but there you go. guess not.

rarogal, Jan 3, 2:37am
Yea, I've made her recipe several times. It is fabulous!

dreamers, Jan 3, 3:29am
I second Chelsea recipe. Didn't like Annabels milk recipe.

dons14, Jan 3, 6:33am
I love the Chelsea recipe as well. Easy and delish.

thewomble1, Jan 3, 12:38pm
To cook goose use milk . 'draws' out the fat. Might have to change the milk several times.
Same for pork . 'draws' out the fat.

corsarii, Jan 3, 2:12pm
t;;dr

slowly, and with love.

karlymouse, Jan 4, 8:45am
No I didn't like Annabels milk receipt either, will have to try Chelsea's one.

islandbreeze, Jan 4, 9:29am
Korbo which receipy was it, she has a few póřk belly ones.
Going to try but which oné.

wendalls, Jan 6, 6:45am
Chelsea's simple one. Just score, season and cook long and slow. Then crackle under the grill at the end. Don't gorge or you'll feel sick though! Make sure you get rid of the fatty bits when serving except of course the crackling! And don't burn it. It only takes a minute or two.

karlymouse, Jan 7, 1:20am
Well did Chelsea Winter recipe yesterday and agree. its the best I have had. even had it once in a restaurant - and this was better. no fancy added flavours. beautifuly moist and crisp. perfect.

flossey, Jan 11, 6:20am
Is this the Chelsea Winter one? I use it and it is fool proof and tastes divine.
PORK BELLY
1-2kg pork belly
Olive oil
Salt
Note: If you’re buying pork belly from your local butcher, ask them to ‘score’ the skin for you so you don’t have to. Sometimes it’s already scored when you buy it – even then I usually add a few more cuts for good measure.
Method
Preheat the oven to 130c.
Place the pork belly skin-side up on a clean chopping board and pat the skin very dry with paper towels. If the skin has not already been scored, carefully slice lines right across the belly using a sharp knife, about 1cm apart. You want to pierce through the tough skin and just go into the fat layer, not cut into the meat underneath. Scoring helps the crackling puff up later.
Place the pork belly skin side up in a roasting pan, preferably sitting on a wire rack if you have one. Drizzle a good amount of olive oil all over the whole pork belly (including the underside). Sprinkle the skin side generously with salt and massage it in. I give it a hit of cracked pepper here too.
If there’s any meat poking out from under the fat layer, try and tuck it under best you can so it’s not exposed.
Place the pork in the middle of the oven (skin side up) and cook in for 4 hours.
After 4 hours, increase the temperature to 150c and cook for another 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, change the oven setting to ‘grill’ on medium-high. Move the pork belly to the top of the oven and grill the skin until it goes puffy and golden all over (it might only take a minute – watch it or it will burn!).

dcon, Jan 13, 12:31am
I usually cook belly pork on a bed of sliced onions and sliced apples, and use cider for the liquid. Cook low temperature for a long time so it doesn't get tough, then grill it to crisp the crackling.

kay141, Jan 13, 2:45am
Recently, I read a tip from a chef for easy scoring on pork skin, use a Stanley knife. Evidently much easier than a cook's knife

wendalls, Jan 13, 8:57am
Great tip thanks! What a great idea! I really struggle with my knives.

purplegoanna, Jan 13, 9:33pm
double ditto on the milk bath and the stanley knife.

lizzyd, Jul 19, 11:26pm
I have a lovely free range piece of pork belly and would like to cook it so the meat is super tender and the crackling is crispy. Yum! Does anyone have a great recipe for this? TIA.

twindizzy, Jul 20, 12:10am
I like to put mine on a bed of chopped onions, rub hoison over the meat then fill up to just under the bottom of the crackling with stock and brush the crackling with white vinegar

davidt4, Jul 20, 12:24am
The import thing for crackling is to keep the skin dry. Score the skin in fine strips, liberally sprinkle sea salt on all sides and refrigerate skin side up uncovered overnight. Take out of fridge at least four hours before serving time and leave for an hour to come up to room temperature. Set oven to 220 C. Brush excess salt off pork, place on a rack in a roasting dish, roast uncovered for about 30 minutes or until the crackling is puffed. Reduce heat to 160 C, pour in a cupful of fresh stock or white wine or beer and roast for a further two hours or so until the meat is perfectly tender and you can wobble it with light finger pressure. Remove to a serving board and allow to rest 20 - 30 min. before carving. Strain the juices and serve in a jug.

Instead of a rack you can rest the meat on a bed of thickly sliced onions, whole cloves of garlic, bay leaves and thyme.

lythande1, Jul 20, 3:28am
Pork belly:

Whatever spices and things you want to use But:

Fill a dish with water, place pork meat side down on a rack over it.
Then place in oven and cook at full blast (250) for 30 - 60 mins (depending on size of it.

Crackle crisps up a but the steam keeps the meat moist.

tymar, Jul 20, 6:30am
For me, I use Annabel Langbeins recipie, it's fool proof and whenever I make this I get huge compliments.
It sounds weird with the milk, but seriously tender with crisp crackling

The key to pork crackling is to dry the skin well before sprinkling with salt. Blast the pork in a hot oven to start with so it gets crunchy, then slow cook it for a further hour in a bath of milk. Which makes it really moist and tender.

1-1.2kg pork belly with skin scored
Ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
2-3 sage leaves
2-2 and a half cups of milk

Preheat oven to 240c. Pat the skin of the pork dry and season the flesh side with pepper and half the salt. Sprinkle the sage leaves on the bottom of a baking dish and put pork on top, skin side up. Season the top with the remaining salt.

Roast for 20-30mins at 240c until the skin is starting to blister and crackle. Watch for burning. !

Pour the milk around the meat to come about half to two thirds of the way up the sides of pork. Reduce heat to 160c and roast for a further 1 and a half hours or until pork is meltingly tender. Check the level of liquid during cooking and if it has evaporated add a little more to the pan.

Remove pork from oven, lift out from dish and allow it to cool. Discard the liquids as it breaks into curds.

For easy cutting place the meat flesh side up on a chopping board and use a heavy sharp knive to cut into slices 3-4cm thick. Serve warm or room temperature.

millseys, Jul 20, 9:23am
Second the Annabel Langbein recipe, mmmmm

davidt4, Jul 20, 9:40am
But why throw away the liquid and curds? Is that what Langbein's recipe says? In my experience of cooking pork in milk the curdy caramelised sauce is delicious and an integral part of the dish.