Black currants

onclemick, Jan 11, 8:45am
What can I use these for other than jam.

245sam, Jan 11, 9:20am
onclemick,I love blackcurrants and would, if they were readily available, happily eat them simply cooked/stewed and served with custard or icecream. I have recipes, all personally untried and tested, for the following and you’re welcome to have any, or all of them if you wish to try them….

Blackcurrant and Tomato Salsa – these are the notes with that recipe: “Blackcurrants and tomatoes go incredibly well together; especially with some mint thrown in like with this recipe - this is perfect as a vegetarian salad but comes into its own when served with any grilled meats or cold meats: especially lamb or smoked chicken. Make the day before and the flavours get better as it sits!”

Blackcurrant Eton Mess

Blackcurrant Muffins

Napolean Blackcurrant Crumble

And this one which I guess is intended to be a variation on Eton Mess….
“PEACH AND BANANA MESS
2 small firm bananas, sliced
1 x 400g can peaches in natural juice, drained
⅓ cup frozen blackcurrants, defrosted
4 small meringue shells, crushed
1 quantity vanilla custard
1 cup low-fat plain yoghurt

Place the fruit in a large bowl and mix the meringues through.
Mix the custard and yoghurt together, then roughly stir the custard through the fruit and meringue mixture. Spoon into serving glasses and chill, then serve.
Serves 6.”

Blackcurrant Juice or Cordial is, of course, another use for blackcurrants.

Hope that helps. :-))

fifie, Jan 11, 9:55am
Black current cordial, good drink in winter for colds & flu.

meetee, Jan 12, 2:49am
I freeze blackcurrants then add a handful to my microwave porridge throughout the year, love it!

onclemick, Jan 26, 5:56pm
Thank you so much for all the great idea's, I will freeze them and use as suggested