Vegetable dish for pot luck

jubre, Apr 23, 10:41pm
I have a pot luck dinner to go to tonight. I have a hot steak casserole done, but was not sure what to take for the other dish.
The carrot sticks on post one, sound really nice.
The last post about doing roast veggies. Can anyone tell me how they are done and how long to cook them for. Also how I can keep them for driving half an hour away for the pot luck dinner,
Can the rost veggies be partly cooked in a microwave to save time in the oven?

camper18, Apr 24, 5:03am
To keep them hot ,have you got a chilly bin or bag?. Wrap the dish in foil then a towel and pop it in a chillybag/bin and it will stay hot for couple of hours at least.

awoftam, Apr 24, 6:39am
Make a vege stew, like a ratatouille, that you eat at room temperature.

http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/14574/easy-eggplant-ratatouille.aspx

Don't be constrained by the ingredients - zucchini go well in this, as does pumpkin. Throw in a can of chick peas. Just play and enjoy it. At the end of it you will have a garlicky room temp vege bowl of deliciousness that is a meal in itself with crusty bread.

bev00, Apr 24, 11:38am
another ratatouille idea - tis one is baked

http://victoriamcginley.com/2011/08/04/baked-ratatouille/

bisloy, Apr 27, 8:17am
Potato cassarole - chop potato into bite sized pieces. Fry off bacon, garlic and onion and pour over potato. Sprinkle over a packet of bacon and onion soup and pour over a small bottle of cream. cover and bake. Stir after half an hour. When the potatoes are tender stir again and remove the cover. Add a good amount of your favourite cheese and pop back in the oven until golden.
If you don't like using the cream, you can use milk or water. The cream makes it very rich.
You can use this recipe to do the same with any vegetable or combination - potato, kumera and dry pumpkin is really good. Carrots,broccoli, cauli, corn, zuchini .
Reheats well, keeps warm for ages and you can dress it up by adding salmon or ham shavings to the top to serve.

alfa13, Nov 14, 5:53am
I am not great in the kitchen - simple ideas please and need to travel half hour away then probably won't be eaten for another half hour at least!

rumpelstiltskin, Nov 14, 8:06am
Carrot sticks lightly cooked but still crunchy - use about 4-5 carrots. When drained, add a tablespoon or so of brown sugar and the same amount of butter and the same amount of grainy mustard. Add chopped parsley if you have some handy. Stir to lightly coat. Can be eaten cold or warmed up.

tippsey, Nov 14, 8:11am
Why not a salad of some sort. but not a rice or pasta or egg salad. lol

alfa13, Nov 14, 6:07pm
Yum thanks that sounds nice - maybe some roast potatoes aswell

rainrain1, Nov 14, 7:06pm
Make a vegetable quiche,

alfa13, Nov 14, 7:09pm
Great idea

zappi, Nov 15, 12:51am
broccoli and cauliflower with a cheese sauce.
Coleslaw.

twindizzy, Nov 15, 1:00am
Curry

ruby19, Nov 15, 7:31pm
Oakhill potatoes (potatoes in a white sauce) are always a hit, and reheat well. The original recipe calls for eggs and bacon, but I don't add still really tasty!

245sam, Nov 15, 8:48pm
From the former Trade Me Cooks.

"scalloped carrots and corn alison holst's
3T olive oil, 2 chopped onions, 3T plain flour, 1/2-1t curry power, 1t salt, 1t sugar, 1c liquid from corn topped up with milk, about 1c canned whole kernel corn, about 1c diced cooked carros, 2T butter, 2c 5mm (1/4 in) bread cubes. Put the oil in a pot, add the onion, stir, then cover and cook gently for 5 minutes, until tender but not browned. Add the flour, curry powder, salt and sugar. Drain the liquid from the corn and make it up to 1 cup with milk. Add half the liquid and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Add the remaining liquid and bring to the boil again, stirring all the time. Fold in the corn and carrots. Turn into a sprayed, medium sized ovenware dish. Melt the butter, then remove it from the heat and toss the bread cubes in it. Spread the bread over the vegetables. Refrigerate until needed. When required, bake uncovered at 190degC (375F) for 30-45 minutes. Serve with grilled meat or poultry and a green salad. Variation: replace the carrots with cooked celery, peas, green beans or broccoli posted by sherralynne"

This is very easy to make and very tasty - IMO best made a day or so ahead, refrigerated, then heated just before serving. :-))

gaspodetwd, Sep 9, 5:04pm
Roasted vegetable salad. Because it's actually best eaten slightly warm!
New potatoes, carrots, capsicums, red and brown onions, asparagus, roasted in good olive oil, garlic and herbs.