Chocolate Baileys Trifle

moparpete, Dec 3, 4:13am
Hi everyone I am thinking of making this recipe for a potluck christmas dinner for a crowd .Wondering if anyone have tried this recipe or anything similar and how did it turned out. The only thing I will change is to use chocolate cake instead of the chocolate Swiss roll and instead of Baileys ,it will be Canterbury cream to cut cost.
http://thewhootkitchen.com/recipes/debs-baileys-and-trifle

rainrain1, Dec 3, 4:58am
I would say it would taste like it looks. darn good! Shame your not using the Baileys though, it is way superior to Canterbury Cream in flavour

asue, Dec 3, 7:50am
I would be more than happy to taste test for you. Love trifle, love baileys. Have heard of a similar one and was really nice.

moparpete, Dec 3, 10:26am
I would love to have you all as my taste test experiment guinea pigs.My poor hubby is made to taste all my experiments and as he likes food sooo much ,no matter even a dish not that good he will say pretty good so therefore I never really know what it actually taste like till it hits the table in other peoples party.

rarogal, Dec 3, 8:41pm
I haven't looked at the link to your recipe, but for years and years I have made a chocolate trifle as none of mine like the traditional one. I just use chocolate sponge, boysenberry jelly, berries and chocolate mousse. If I use alcohol it's a dash of Kahlua. Merry Xmas!

doree36, Dec 4, 1:13am
I know this isn't what you requested for Christmas dessert - but here is good "special Occasion" cheesecake for you Merry Christmas to you and yours Noni R.

Mango and Baileys Cheesecake

Ingredients:
250gm packet of biscuits (Digestives works best)
85g melted butter
3 teaspoons of gelatine
2 tablespoons of warm water (add extra ½ tsp if required).
250g Cream Cheese
250g Sour Cream
½ Cup of Caster Sugar
1 can of drained mangos
4 tablespoons of Baileys or similar.(Canterbury Cream is good)

Method:
Line a round loose bottomed 18cm tin with baking paper. In a food processor, crush biscuits until fine. Add melted butter and 1 tablespoon of Baileys (or similar).( Canterbury Cream is just as good - and less expensive ! )Mix to combine. Press into tin base and refrigerate. Mix cream cheese and sour cream until soft. Add caster sugar, mangos and 3 tablespoons of Baileys(or similar). Process until blended. In a cup, combine the gelatine and the warm water. Whisk with fork to dissolve. Add to cream cheese mixture and combine. Pour into prepared base and put in fridge to set.

nzpcltd, Dec 4, 1:39am
Im going to sound boring but what could a replace the Baileys with in this recipe . something non alcoholic?

doree36, Dec 4, 3:25am
Try some irish Coffee creamer - apparently this works well. should be available at your supermarket in the coffee section. good luck

moparpete, Dec 4, 3:53am
On my gosh doree36 this sounds fantastic too so I am going to make this one for my little family as Christmas eve dessert(and hope there will be some leftover for me to devour in the late night). Anything with baileys or Canterbury cream,I am in it. Guys keep your recipes coming. The more the merrier.

seafield1, Dec 4, 4:07am
Does anyone know where to buy the chocolate custard? Or do you just use the vanilla alone. I know you can make it but I would prefer just to buy it like the other one.

nzpcltd, Dec 4, 4:58am
I didnt know you could buy that. thanks!

moparpete, Dec 5, 4:44am
Ok so I went to our local booze shop to buy Canterbury Cream in mind and came home with a bottle of Canterbury Cream and Alpine Cream (Butterscotch flavor) for the above recipe. This Alpine cream is heavenly in taste now I am confused what is it going to be in the recipe,Alpine cream,Canterbury cream or Baileys. Here is a link for this heavenly stuff.
http://downing.marketing/news/new-ma-prenzel-and-butterscotch-cream-labels/

nauru, Dec 5, 4:57am
Thanks for sharing doree36, this sounds a winner for a Chrissy dessert

doree36, Dec 6, 4:02am
Addendum to my Mango & Baileys Cheesecake
A nice finishing touch is to put some whipped cream on top with a few chunks of the mango and walnuts or macadamia nuts chopped finely - - - enjoy

moparpete, Feb 26, 4:06pm
UPDATE- Hi everyone just made mine following the recipe. Changed only the topping , used crushed Tim Tams, crushed green spearmint lollies and red sprinkle sugar with sprigs of mint leaves as decoration. and I used almost half a bottle of baileys in the entire trifle. i know i was heavy handed, can't resist Baileys.Dare I say, it will be I think a very boozy one,husband and me had a taste test and it's taste heavenly . Would be interested to know what kind of trifle are you all making today for christmas and what in it. Ta.