How do you fry steak

Page 2 / 2
duckmoon, Jan 6, 9:35pm
i know your kids are older than mine, but for a long time the kids had good quality sausages , while the adults had steak

Also, we don't eat an enormous piece, the size of the Palm of my hand

smallwoods, Jan 6, 10:09pm
This and pat dry the steak to remove surface moisture.
Salt and pepper with a dash of oil, before cooking.

You want to fry the steak not stew it in oil.

Another thing I some times do for thick steak is as above(but smoking hot pan, turn off your smoke alarm) and then into oven at around 110 for 5-10 minutes while making salad etc, then rest it for about 5.

sarahb5, Jan 6, 10:37pm

sarahb5, Jan 6, 10:39pm
Yeah thats what we used to do too - I suppose its time I fed them the good stuff really even though they're philistines!

Having said that though, if you cook it properly rump and sirloin are pretty tasty and at the moment my kids, especially the boys, would pick quantity over quality being the bottomless pits that they are!

valentino, Jan 6, 11:06pm
How I do mine no matter what cut it is though the more cheaper they are then the more into slow-cooked method.
For all nice steaks, pat dry, room temp and lightly rubbed or smeared with oil. Over slightly lower than medium heat fry each side for a couple of minutes or a little bit more then rest for about 4 to 5 minutes at least.

Pan up to slightly higher than medium heat, empty any residue or juices from pan, pat dry all steaks and back into the pan to complete cooking by frying each side and cook to liking.

Then rest for another minute before serving.

Always comes out great.

beaker59, Jan 6, 11:59pm
Hestor Blominthel disputes the turn once theory I have tried his way and my wife who prefers Medium done likes it done his way which is turn every 10seconds or so. I like rare so turn once.

I also buy those cheap "tenderized steak" (not the marinated ones) these I slowly braise with onions until tender which can take an hour or so.

twindizzy, Jan 7, 12:18am
Yeah the one turn thing is completely personal preference.

davidt4, Jan 7, 12:31am
Harold McGee carried out controlled tests and concluded that frequent flipping of the meat resulted in more even cooking and a juicier steak. Here's a link to a rather long winded blog that includes photos of the results of both methods.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/07/the-food-lab-flip-your-steaks-and-burgers-multiple-times-for-better-results.html

twindizzy, Jan 7, 12:36am
+ you get pretty criss-cross marks on the steak

cardiffgirl, Jan 7, 6:58am
I do mine the " Heston" way now and find my steaks cook perfectly

sarahb5, Jan 7, 7:03am
It also depends what you use to turn it - if you use a fork then the more often you turn it then the more holes you poke in it so the more juice runs out

mottly, Jan 7, 7:03am
Super hot cooking surface, smokin hot but used to have some butter on it! Couple of minutes each side. Needs to be seared rather than stewed, to be juicy and tender. I only turn mine once too. they end up like rubber if theyre moved too much. Unlike sausages or chicken

mackenzie2, Jan 7, 7:19am
I pat dry and season my steak
Add a little oil to a hot pan, and turn it every 30 seconds until it is cooked
I then rest until blood has settled and then serve. The thirty second turn is how Gordon ramsey and Jamie oliver do it. I never had success with steak until I started cooking it this way

amiri1, Jan 7, 7:35am
As a couple of other people have said, the steak should be up to ROOM TEMPERATURE before cooking! If you do this it should be tender. Good luck! :)

mottly, Feb 14, 1:44am
I cook mine straight out of the fridge, n and I'm famous with my family and friends for cooking perfect steaks. Perhaps it's all in the way you hold your mouth? My mum cooks gawd awful steaks, and hers are done 'properly'