Freezer Meal ideas needed please

paghan, Jun 20, 11:42pm
Hi, My sister is going thru a hard time at the moment, and I want to take her some frozen meals when I go down to visit next month. I am going to make chilli con carne, beef stroganoff, chicken casserole, a few sweet things, like shortbread. I am going to put them in containers so she can just take out what she likes. Any other ideas?

fantail8, Jun 20, 11:52pm
bacon and egg pie,macaroni cheese, vegetable (or any other)soup, cottage pie, lasagne,.

homebay, Jun 21, 12:02am
Lasagne (make large one & cut into meal size portions), casseroles,Muffins,

245sam, Jun 21, 12:44am
paghan, re sweet treats - most baking freezes well but I have found that unbaked items such as lolly cake, apricot slice, etc. and truffles are not only easy to make but they freeze particularly well for up to at least 3 months. This Caramel Crumble also freezes particularly well:-

CARAMEL CRUMBLE
This slice is very like Tan Slice but just stirred together with no creaming of the butter and sugar. As its name suggests its topping is more crumbly but personally I like it better - to make and to eat!

Caramel Topping:
½ x 395g can sweetened condensed milk
2 tbsp golden syrup,
¼ cup brown sugar
55g (2oz) butter

Mix all the topping ingredients together in a bowl over hot water for 5 minutes, then allow the mixture to cool slightly.
Base:
1½ cups flour.
1 tsp baking powder
115g (½ cup) sugar,
½ tsp vanilla essence,
115g (4oz) melted butter

Place all the dry ingredients in a bowl, then add the vanilla essence and the melted butter and mix to a fairly soft crumbly consistency. Press approximately two thirds-three quarters of this crumbly mixture into a greased sponge roll tin, then spread the caramel topping over. Sprinkle over the remaining crumble mixture.
Bake at 180ºC for 20-30 minutes.
Allow to cool then cut into fingers or squares.

Hope that helps you and all the best to your sister for easier/better times. :-))

dennyr, Jun 21, 1:06am
Roast pork meals always a winner, plus cottage pie,.cornbeef, braised sausages , all freeze well with the usual veges, spuds, pumpkin carrots an parnips etc. And maybe a cheescake cut into portions. Your sister will really appreciate your thoughtful idea.

cosimo, Jun 21, 1:09am
If you are putting the meals into a container, consider cooking an extra meal each evening, and freezing it. Most regular meals will freeze well, and that would have the extra bonus of variety.

ruby2shoes, Jun 21, 1:55am
gosh, what a lovely sister you are! Maybe look at eat.co.nz also.

paghan, May 13, 3:20am
Thanks for all your ideas. Right off to start, I will put a soup in the crock pot, and start with mince dishes. :)