What is the difference between a cake and a loaf?

uli, Nov 20, 2:28am
To make it all more mixed up - I bake all my cakes in a roasting pan and then cut them in little squares and keep them in ice cream containers in the fridge for a weeks worth of little tidbits for wwoofers etc.

kaddiew, Nov 20, 2:46am
When I was newly married my now-former English MIL arrived to stay, bearing a dense fruit loaf, which I proceeded to slice and butter to serve. I was shrieked at for buttering her "cake". And not having any "best china" for the cup of tea didn't go down well either. Could never win with her. Hyacinth Bucket always sprang to mind.

daarhn, Nov 20, 4:52am
a cake of soap? go figure

bcnd, Nov 23, 8:36am
Is it just the shape of the tin? A friends grandmother want me to make her a carrot loaf. I have a fab carrot cake receipe. Would that be the same if i just put it in a loaf tin instead of a cake tin or are they completely diffent beasts

harrislucinda, Nov 23, 8:41am
yes will be ok I often use a cake recipe and make muffins

rainrain1, Nov 23, 5:51pm
They are different, a loaf is usually baked in a narrow loaf tin, sliced thinly and spread with butter. A cake is sweeter, baked in a round or square tin, usually iced and cut into bigger pieces. Your grandmother with be cranky with you if you get it wrong

maitredee, Nov 23, 6:33pm
The elderly lady will know the difference lol

elsielaurie1, Nov 23, 8:09pm
My Hubby has asked me the same question. what is the difference between a 'loaf' and a 'cake'? To him a 'loaf' means bread, and a cake is everything else. I make a raisin/sultana loaf, he calls it 'cake' as it's not bread! Confused?

nisty, Nov 23, 8:39pm
I'm no expert, but this is a basic summary of my understanding:
Cake - sweet, decorated/iced & often round.
Loaf - bread, not as sweet as cake, heavier/more dense than cake, not iced & loaf shaped.
Loaf cake - A cake that is loaf shaped.

rainrain1, Nov 23, 8:43pm
Tell him you can bake a loaf in a cake tin, or a cake in a loaf tin, and bread in a cake or loaf tin. That is unless he is loafing around, and can't be bothered rising out of his chair.

sarahb5, Nov 23, 9:56pm
This . But my nan always made Madeira cake in a loaf tin and sliced it to serve with jam and/or butter spread on it. Mum used the same recipe and made a round or square cake which we ate unadorned. (Enjoyed nan's more!)

bcnd, Nov 23, 10:05pm
Lol. Cool. I will use the same recipe but half the sugar, cook it in my loaf tin, and not ice it.

245sam, Jun 14, 1:15am
bcnd, just to add to the confusion. Here's the link to a "Carrot Loaf" recipe and it has a cream cheese icing!
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/recipes/6925833/Recipe-Delicious-carrot-loaf but here's another carrot loaf recipe and it is uniced. http://www.kidspot.co.nz/recipes-for+2363+20+Cakes-&-Baking+Carrot-walnut-loaf.htm

I would assume that your friend's grandmother enjoys the cake part of carrot cake but not the icing, hence why she has requested a carrot loaf. I can never recall loaves, until recent times, being iced - they were sliced and buttered so IMO an older person would expect a loaf to be uniced so that it could be served as loaves always used to be i.e. sliced and buttered which one obviously is unlikely to do with an iced loaf. :-))