Moist Madeira / Lemon Madeira Cake

bev00, May 24, 8:11am
http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/my-mother-in-laws-madeir
a-cake-103

This recipe is the same as my grandmother's. If you want to search for other recipes bear in mind that the spelling is Madeira, not Maderia.

davidt4 (224 224 positive feedback) 9:24 pm, Wed 21 May #2
Here is a Madeira cake recipe using New Zealand Extra Virgin Olive Oil - buy this at your local Farmers Market. The measures are using the yoghurt carton.
Preheat oven to 190C
1 carton Natural Yoghurt
1 carton Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 cartons Sugar
Rind of one lemon
3 cartons SR Flour
3 Eggs

Line bottom of cake tin with baking paper.
Beat first 4 ingredients together then break in eggs and fold in flour.
Cook for 20 minutes and then switch back to 160C for another 20 minutes.

gayle6 (372 372 positive feedback) 2:19 pm, Thu 22 May #3

sarahb5, May 24, 10:35am
Doesn't sound like Madeira cake at all to me - there's no butter in it for a start

survivorr, Jul 30, 7:18pm
A recipe I got off here (with 3 eggs) is really nice but tends to be quite dry and I'm wondering if anyone has a Madeira cake recipe that's not quite so dry. :o)

dibble35, Jul 30, 8:33pm
I got a lovely one off of here that used a lemon jelly in it, have made it several times and it is liked by all. Dont know whos recipe it was originally - Here it is "Makes 2 medium cakes or 1 large cake. .
1 cup milk
125gm butter. Bring these to the boil
In a mixer, beat 4 eggs and gradually adds 2 cups sugar, 1 pkt lemon jelly crystals and 1 tsp vanilla essence. Beat until thick, then add 2 and a 1/4 cups of plain flour, 1/4 tsp salt and 2 tsp baking powder. Mix then quickly stir in the boiled milk and butter. Turn the mixture into two 7 or 8 inch lined tins and bake 180c for 20 minutes. If using a novelty shaped pan bake the whole mixture for 40 minutes at 180c or until skewer comes out clean."

cookessentials, Jul 30, 9:51pm
LEMON MADEIRA CAKE
Cream 225g butter (yes, a lot!) with 3/4 cup sugar
Add 3 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition
Add grated rind of one lemon & 1 Tblsp lemon juice
Add 1 heaped cup self-raising flour
Bake in medium-sized ring tin at 180* for 35 minutes
Remove from oven. While cake is still hot, pour over the juice of one lemon combined with 1/4 cup sugar.

Could be baked in a 20cm square tin.

Quoteelliehen (3848 ) 8:23 pm, Wed

pickles7, Jul 30, 9:55pm
Lemon and Yoghurt Cake [makes a nice Madeira]

I use my kitchen whizz to make this cake
1 & 3/4 cups caster sugar
1 cup canola oil
rind 2-3 lemons
1/2 tsp salt
then add
2 eggs
one at a time
1 cup plain yoghurt
1 Tblsp tsp lemon juice

fold in
2 cups self raising flour

*paint a 23cm square tin with tin glide
Bake at 180C for thirty minutes.
Let cake rest in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
Traditional madeira cake is served dusted with icing sugar, there are no rules, we have moved on, ice it if you wish.

*tin glide
melt 4ozs of fat add 1oz of vege oil, stir in 2 ozs flour. mix well. keep out of the fridge, in a cool place. You may need to melt and stir a bit to use in winter.

cookessentials, Jul 30, 9:59pm
Madeira cake is a firm lemon cake, not as soft and spongy as a lemon yoghurt cake, two different animals so to speak. It is often used as a good cut and keep cake but also as a celebration cake as it will hold fondant well. I did post a great one a while back, however, the thread may well have disappeared. it is one I have been making for years and is a Margaret Fulton one which is nice and firm, but also moist.

pickles7, Jul 31, 5:16am
Cool I have found my chart, I will have to try and type it out. BBS

cookessentials, Jul 31, 8:36am
Traditional Madeira cake is British and is usually baked with a slice of candied citron peel on the top. It is traditionally served with a glass of Madeira as it was in Victorian England.

This recipe is a keeper. I have been making it for a number of years. It is a Margaret Fulton recipe.

250g butter
1 cup caster sugar
Finely grated rind of one lemon and one orange.
Half tsp cinnamon
5 eggs
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup self raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp milk
1 tbsp dried , mixed candied peel or one slice glace orange.

Cream butter with sugar, rinds and cinnamon. When pale and creamy, add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition . Sift flour with salt. Fold half the flour into creamed mixture and when thoroughly incorporated, mix in the milk. Fold in remaining flour. Turn into a greased and lined deep 20cm round tin. Bake in a pre-heated moderately slow oven (165c) for 45 minutes. Sprinkle top of cake with peel, or press on the glace orange slice. Bake a further 40 to 45 mins or until cake shrinks away from sides of tin. Remove from tin and cool on wire rack.

survivorr, Jul 31, 3:09pm
Yes! I remember a long time ago using this recipe and had completely forgotten it. Definitely on my list for this weekend. thanks for jogging my memory :o)

survivorr, Jul 31, 3:11pm
Mmm. hadn't thought of it like that. I bake one and take it to work and everyone really loves it - even though I think I'd like it to be a bit less 'firm'. The recipe with 3 eggs is a nice easy recipe but will try the one with lemon jelly crystals again this weekend.

survivorr, Jul 31, 3:13pm
Yes. that's the one I bake but now that you've mentioned that a madeira cake is meant to be firm I'm quite happy with it.

cookessentials, Jul 31, 7:25pm
Its a great cake.

pickles7, Aug 2, 8:03am
Madeira cake. three sizes.
This is an easy way to work out the mixture required for the size tin you want to use.

The cake is made creaming the butter and sugar, well
adding eggs 1 at a time, add
1 Tblsp flour in between each egg
Fold the rest of the flours in with the
lemon rind and juice.

Bake until cooked . times will vairy. oven temp 160 %C. 325 %F
########
18cm tin [round or square]

150 grams each;
butter. caster sugar. self raising flour
75 grams plain flour
3 eggs
1 lemon. juice and grated rind

Bake 1 to 1&1/4 hours
########
20cm tin [round or square]

200 grams each;
100 grams plain flour
4 eggs
1 & 1/2 lemons. juice and grated rind

Bake 1 & 1/4 hours to 1 &1/2 hours
########
23cm tin [round or square]

250 grams each;
125 grams plain flour
5 eggs
2 lemons. juice and grated rind

Bake 1 & 1/2 hours to 1 & 3/4 hours.
########
I paint all my tins, you can use paper by all means.
####Tin Glide
You can see the cover required, on the Banana cake.
melt
4ozs of fat
add
1oz of vege oil,
stir in
2 ozs flour.
mix well.

keep out of the fridge, in a cool place.
You may need to soften and stir a bit to use.
Paint on using a pastry brush, you will never use paper again.
You can not use all oil, vegetable fat will work [ kremelta]

cookessentials, Aug 2, 9:17am
Line with paper? I thought that was scary to the poster? No, you must be mistaken elliehen, the poster has not lined her tins with paper for 40 years apparently.

pickles7, Aug 2, 9:17am
####Tin Glide
You can see the cover required, on the Banana cake.
Thanks for that I forgot.

http://jumpingjellybeans-jellybeans.blogspot.co.nz/#!/2013/05/banana-cake.html

cookessentials, Aug 2, 9:23am
Elliehen, can you tell me what a picklet is?

bev00, Aug 2, 10:24am
always a favourite

sarahb5, Jul 13, 9:51am
I like real, traditional madeira cake - buttery and lemony. I made the one with jelly crystals for our mid-winter Christmas but won't make it again as the flavour just isn't the same.

I remember my nan's madeira cake - baked in a loaf tin and served fresh at the weekend then served buttered later in the week when it was starting to get a bit drier. I don't ever remember pouring lemon juice over the cake after baking though.