Who makes a lovely Rich Christmas cake.

jacben, Nov 25, 1:29am
Hi I am looking for a nice rich moist tried and true christmas cake recipe.

jacben, Nov 25, 3:36am
thank you this will be great

jacben, Nov 25, 3:39am
if I dont have feijoa what can I use.

gardie, Nov 26, 6:35am
Absolutely anything goes - you can do a bit of matching. If I use traditional fruit, I use brandy but if I add in dried apricots, cranberries, etc, I tend to use something less traditional - like the feijoa vodka or peach schnapps etc. Anything goes really - its all about choosing what you'd like.

cookessentials, Nov 26, 5:25pm
I use the wooden cake box and the wooden cake box co recipe.

bluetigerrr, Nov 27, 10:17pm
This Christmas cake has a tin of condensed milk in it, so it is pretty moist - and delicious. You can keep sprinkling/pouring alcohol into/onto it as much as you like up until the day :)

Hilary Barry's Christmas Cake - Woman's Day (14.12. 2009)

INGREDIENTS:

225 g butter, melted
1 cup hot water
1tb white wine vinegar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
1kg dried fruit
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1tsp baking soda
¼ cup sherry
1tsp vanilla extract
2¼ cup self-raising flour sifted
¼ cup whole almonds to decorate
Brandy to douse

METHOD:

1. Preheat oven to 140c on fan bake.
2. Place butter, hot water, vinegar, cinnamon, mixed spice and dried fruit into a large saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring regularly.
3. Remove from heat and stir in condensed milk and baking soda.
4. Allow to cool to room temperature.
5. Line a deep-sided 20cm round cake tin with non-stick baking paper.
6. Add sherry and vanilla to cooled mixture.
7. Stir in sifted flour.
8. Pour into prepared cake tin and decorated with almonds.
9. Bake for 2 to 2½hours.
10. Cool completely before removing from cake tin.
11. Prick with a skewer and douse with brandy if desired.

cgvl, Nov 27, 10:51pm
I have a really nice rich one that I posted sometime ago. Not sure if its still around I do know it went onto a website. Not sure if there is still alink to the recipes though but I will have a look.

pamellie, Nov 28, 6:02am
I make Alison Holst's 'Peter's Special Xmas Cake'. (I think that's it's correct name).
It is dark, moist, fruity and delicious!

jacben, Nov 29, 12:33am
Cake turned out fantastic - many thanks

teddy147, Nov 29, 1:48am
yes this one, I have my second mix on the table doing its thing.

clair4, Nov 29, 2:05am
pamelie where can I have a look at this recipe? Am making her pineapple xmas cake at the moment. Small tins in the oven right now.

pamellie, Nov 29, 4:36am

clair4, Nov 29, 6:02am
Thanks pamellie. Will make this one next week and put into the freezer till winter. Many thanks.

griffo4, Nov 29, 7:22am
l made this cake recently and it has all gone now but it was a really nice tasty cake the recipe came out on a pamphlet at Pak N Save using her Gourmet Cake mix, this mix had figs, dates & chocolate but it would be nice with fruit cake mix
lt was a nice rich cake and moist

bev00, Nov 29, 10:18am

pamellie, Nov 29, 6:19pm
I like it because it has no cherries or peel in it but that mix sounds nice especially the chocolate!

griffo4, Nov 29, 8:37pm
yes it is a nice mix but l will make it again with the dried fruit and see what it tastes like, not this year l have made too many already

cgvl, Nov 29, 9:08pm
does anyone have a link to Trademe cooks (think that was the name) I had posted my xmas cake recipe there and as my books are still all packed awaiting moving day I really would like the recipe TIA

bev00, Nov 30, 9:28am
bump to save

bev00, May 23, 9:14am
Sadly Trademe cooks has long gone - so too has votemenot and all the lovely recipes with them :(