Pumpkin soup in a slow cooker

purplefalcon, Mar 29, 8:13am
Does anyone have a yummy pumpkin soup receipe cooked in a slow cooker?

mooshiesmum, Mar 29, 8:20am
Ooh I will watch this thread too - I bought some chilled pre made pumpkin soup today and thought this has to stop - I want to become a soup expert this winter! :-)

sarahb5, Mar 30, 2:44am
Why bother with the slow cooker for soup? The most time consuming job with pumpkin soup making is peeling and dicing the pumpkin but it still only takes about half an hour to make including pureeing the pumpkin. Fry garlic, add cumin and coriander, fry until fragrant. Add diced pumpkin and stock or water. Simmer for 10 minutes until pumpkin is soft. Puree. Season. Add coconut milk and sweet chilli sauce to taste - done.

gardner8, Mar 30, 4:17am
have to agree with you sarah, it is the quickest and less fussy soup to make, then if you wish you can have in slow cooker for when you get home for lunch, or put on at lunch for tea.

sarahb5, Mar 30, 4:35am
I would just cook mine in the traditional way and then reheat in the microwave by the bowl - no need to keep it warm all day

rainrain1, Mar 30, 6:06am
Because of the method, you would have to make/cook your pumpkin soup prior to keeping it hot in the cooker,

fifie, Mar 30, 9:04pm
If you like Thai you may like this done in the S/C, havent tried it.
Thai Pumpkin and Kumera Soup From Alison/Simon Holst.
Lge onion chopped,2 tsp cooking oil, 1-2 tsp curry paste( depending how hot you like it) 2 cups vegetable OR chicken stock, 300gr peeled pumpkin skin off cut into 6 chunks.
300grms orange kumera peeled and thickly sliced. 3/4-1 400gr can lite coconut cream, salt and sugar to taste, chopped corriander or spring onion leaves to garnish.
Turn med size S/C on to heat spray inside with cooking spray, cook onion in frying pan with oil till transparent, add curry paste and 1/2 cup of stock mix and cook through till blended. Tip into S/C add rest of stock,pumpkin, kumera, lid on cook 5 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
Puree soup using wand/blender/food processor add as much coconut cream as you like to get the thickness you require, taste add salt & sugar to taste serve immeadiately sprinkled with the garnish and with crispy toasted rolls/ toast/ poppadoms. Serves 6.
I make our pumpkin soup every winter for the freezer, for lunches etc by using a whole grey crown pumpkin roasted for sweetness then adding bacon,stock,curry,garlic etc pureed and its always full of flavour. Yell out if you want recipe and my tip how to cut this large whole pumpkin up easy.

sarahb5, Mar 30, 9:13pm
Nice recipe fifie but I still don't get why you would cook it for 5 hours in a slow cooker when you could do it in 15 minutes in a saucepan on the stove top. Slow cooking is great for tenderising meat, etc. but not really necessary for vegetables I wouldn't have thought.

rainrain1, Mar 30, 9:21pm
It is a lovely sounding recipe, and would be ideal for someone who is away for the day. good to come home to on a chilly evening! I might even give it a try

twindizzy, Mar 30, 9:33pm
curry powder and bacon are essential

sarahb5, Mar 30, 9:47pm
But you've still got more work to do to finish it off when you get home - each to their own of course but I'd rather make it one night, completely, and just reheat when I get home for the next night. Soup is always tastier the next day anyway, like a lot of other things.

rainrain1, Mar 30, 11:06pm
I assure you no harm will come to anyone if I give it a go sarahb5, besides, I love to try something different. Cheers!

lotsagiggles, Mar 30, 11:17pm
I have to say I love roasting the pumpkin for soup. It really adds to the flavour.

sarahb5, Mar 30, 11:51pm
Yep that too - I have a really quick pumpkin soup recipe that uses roast pumpkin. Spray half a pumpkin and a halved large brown onion with oil, sprinkle with cumin, coriander and any other flavours such as curry powder and roast until soft. Remove from the oven, remove the skins and puree the vegetables with chicken stock and/or coconut milk.

fifie, Mar 31, 12:22am
See where your coming from i wouldnt make it in S/C either, but i'm home all day and have time to make it way i like, saying that i do use the s/c for lots of other soups. The young ones are all busy these days and the C/P and S/C way has made a come back for cooking all sorts to feed family's, each to their own i guess.

sarahb5, Mar 31, 12:53am
I sold mine - prefer quicker cooking methods which seem to retain flavour more

jandhwillis, Jul 30, 9:52am
so no one has a recipe? I work nights which is why i love my SC i can get dinner ready before i head to bed for teh day adn it means when the kids get home from school i can get up and spend time with them and hey presto dinners cooked

fifie, Jul 30, 10:09am
jandhwillis here is 3 different recipes from trade me cooks that might help you.
Pumpkin Soup.
chop up heaps of pumpkin (skin removed), and sometimes I will also add kumera to it, (leave the kumera skin on) and put it in the crockpot with a little water or vege stock and a chopped onion, once it's cooked, I just mash it up with a potato masher (we like our soups quite chunky) then add a can of condensed pumpkin soup (or a paket of powdered soup mix), a little chicken stock powder, salt and pepper to taste, and some ground nutmeg, add a little chopped parsley or chives for garnish at the last minute, we tend to have a lot of soups for snacks and lunches during the colder months and when the soup level starts to go down, I just keep adding to it, and if the troops have overdone the soup trend before it's all gone it can be easily frozen and used at a later date. posted by thedefpom
pumpkin soup
Here's one that has alot of flavour. cut up skinned pumpkin pieces and a couple of potatoes, and oinion cover with water.When its all cooked mash it up with the spud masher, add some bacon pieces and a pkt of maggi creme of chicken soup. its yummy.posted by shandiex
pumpkin soup
1kg pumpkin, 2 carrots, 2 kumera, 1 onion, 1 can coconut cream, 3 cups chicken stock, 1 teasp thai green curry paste. fry onion and curry paste.then add everything to slow cooker. easy as. posted by logree

uli, Jul 30, 11:12pm
I use peeled chopped pumpkin, coconut cream and a bit of chilli and salt.
A nice variation is to add some curry powder or red curry paste.

jandhwillis, Jul 31, 3:11am
thanks, i did a search last night which is how o found this thread, i assume low for 8 hours?

meetee, Jan 31, 4:18pm
I never peel and dice pumpkin for soups, instead I cut large chunks and put it in a large saucepan with water (or in the microwave) and cook it till its soft. Then its easy enough to scrape the flesh from the skin and mash. I think the flavour is better too if it is cooked in the skin whether roasted or boiled.