Crockpot Xmas Pudding.

uli, Jul 19, 5:21am
bump for billyjessie

rarogal, Nov 19, 2:42am
Just did mine in the crockpot for the first time. Great success. Will definitely do it again.

maximus44, Nov 19, 5:24am
Would you be willing to share your recipe?

ubuthebirman, Nov 19, 5:33am
i have also done mine in the crockpot last week. It was from 'Joan Bishops crockpot book' Even frozen it in the steam pud bowl so hope it is ok for heating up on the day.

nauru, Nov 19, 6:38am
That's a great recipe, I have been using it for a number of years, adding a grated carrot with the fruit. I've tried many other recipes but IMO Joan Bishops CP one is by far the best. I have frozen mine this year too but they do keep beautifully without. I reheat mine in the MW on the day.
This is the recipe if anyone else is interested
100g soft breadcrumbs
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
600g mixed dried fruit
1/2 teasp ground nutmeg,
1 teasp mixed spice,
1 teasp ground cinnamon,
1/2 teasp ground ginger
100g butter
1/4 cup golden syrup
1/4 cup milk
1 teasp baking soda
2 eggs beaten
1 tablsp brandy

Preheat CP on high for 20 minutes. Grease (8 cup capacity) pudding basin. Mix together in a large bowl breadcrumbs, flour and sugar. Add dried fruit & spices, stir well. Melt butter & syrup in a pan, remove from heat and add milk and soda, stir until dissolved. Add eggs and brandy. Pour liquid ingredients into flour mixture and stir thoroughly. Pour mixture into prepared pudding basin and cover tightly with both baking paper then foil and tie with string. Put basin into CP and place on a trivet in the base. Pour 3 cups boiling water around basin. Cover with lid and cook on high for 6-8 hours. Enjoy, Merry Christmas.
I also add 1 grated carrot with the dried fruit.

calista, Nov 19, 6:55am
I like making the Simon and Alison Holst one as it can be divided into two small bowls that I have which can both be fitted into the crock-pot at the same time. When I cook the big one I leave it on overnight and wake up to the beautiful smell.

rarogal, Nov 20, 6:09am
Sure maxi is, but it is not a true plum pudding. I have always made what used tipi be called an overnight pudding, has only sultanas, currants and lemon peel. My kids love it and wouldn't eat anything with the glacé fruit in. I've made I it for 43 yrs and it was this recipe I used in the crockpot. As below if you're still interested:
Overnight Pudding
2 c flour
1 c sugar
1 cup currants
1 cup sultanas
50g lemon peel ( I use finely zested lemon peel)
1 teaspoon mixed spice
2 teaspoons bicarb soda disolved in 1 cup cold water
1 teaspoon butter disolved in 1 cup hot water

mix the 2 cups of liquid together, and pour over the preparedd fruit and dry ingredients. Stir well and stand overnight. In the morning mix well again. Tie in a cloth and boil for three hours. This can be made in a greased basin and steamed if preferred
For the crockpot, I put it in a steam pudding basin, covered with pleated grease proof paper and one of those elasticised plate covers to keep the water from making the paper sodden. Placed an inverted saucer in the bottom, put the pudding in and fill with boiling water until halfway up sides. Took about 5-6hours on high.

maximus44, Nov 20, 9:18am
Thank you. I have never made Christmas pudding but I think I will try one of these recipes.

nzhel, Nov 21, 10:53pm
I have done mine in the crockpot for the last few years and it is always a great success. On Xmas day I reheat it in the crockpot again for 2-3 hours or so. I just find a hotpoint somewhere out of the way and get it going and its ready when we are. The water may need to be topped up a little once or twice though.

popeye333, Nov 22, 12:28am
Lovely idea. No rooms full of steam as the pudding cooks. Im going to try rarogals recipe as its close to my Aunts Never fail one. Wasn't planning on doing a steamed pudding for the heat factor. now I can.

Thank you

jaffa77, Dec 24, 8:56pm
I am going to make the Alison Holst one today. The recipe says to cook on high for 8 to 12 hours without peeking. How do I know when it is cooked or does it really not make any difference whether I cook it for 8 hours or for 12 hours? This is the first time I have made an Xmas pudding. I will be making it in a Breville fast slow cooker. Thanks in advance for your advice.

bedazzledjewels, Dec 24, 10:53pm
You'll be right. I cooked mine accidentally on low and then when I realised, I cranked it up to high for a few more hours. Will be eating it tonight so I hope it's okay.

seafield1, Dec 27, 3:36am
I don't have a pudding bowl with a lid, would foil be ok to cover it with

harrislucinda, Dec 27, 3:47am
foil will be fine long as you tuck around the sides

seafield1, Mar 1, 9:53am
Cool, thanks for that.