Stuffed Bell Pepper recipe please

melford, Dec 8, 3:07am
There are plenty I could chose from on the web and in books but I prefer to have a tried and true tasty recipe please.

petal1955, Dec 8, 3:34am
Stuffed Peppers

4 green peppers
1 onion, chopped and fried
300g minced meat
pinch salt
pinch black pepper
1 cup cooked rice
Pepper & Salt to taste
1 tin (410g) tomato puree
Take the tops off the green peppers and scoop out the seeds and discard, along with the stalks.
Mix the cooked onion, raw minced meat, cooked rice and pepper and salt together.
Divide in four, and fill the four peppers.
Put the peppers in a pot with the trimmings from the tops, and pour over the tomato puree.
Rinse the tin with a little water and add.
Simmer for one hour on top of the stove, adding a little more water if it gets dry.
You can also cook in the oven at 180 deg C for two hours, or in a slow cooker for four hours.
******************************-
******************************-
Stuffed Peppers

4 large peppers
3 onion
2 cloves garlic
3 tbsp oil
250 grms mince
1 cup long grain rice
½ cup pine nuts chopped
½ cup currants
¼ cup each chopped mint and parsley
½ tsp each ground all spice, nutmeg, cinnamon
1 tsp salt
400g tomatoes in juice

Cut the peppers remove and discard all the seeds and pith.

Chop two of the onions and the garlic finely and cook in 1 tbsp of oil in a large fry pan until the onions are transparent. Add the mince and rice and cook for a minute or two longer. Add 2 cups of water, cover and simmer for 15 mintues add extra water if mixture looks dry, before the rice is cooked.

While rice is cooking stand the prepared pepper in boiling water for 5 mins, then drain and discard the water.

Brown the pinenuts lightly in 1 tbsp oil in a second fry pan, add the currants and cooked till they are plumped up.
Stir in the nuts and currants with the mint, parsley, all spice, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt into the meat and cooked rice.

Lightly brown the last onion in the last tbsp oil in which the peppers will cook. Add the content of the can of tomatoes.
Pack the stuffing firmly into the peppers, so the tops are rounded and most of the filling is used. Arrange peppers on the tomato mixture, cover lightly with foil and bake 180-200 d C for 30-45 minutes checking that the tomato mixture does not dry out, adding extra liquid if necessary.

Serve with crusty bread and salad

melford, Dec 8, 4:15am
thank you petal1955 - I like the sound of the second recipe.

esther-anne, Dec 8, 9:54pm
Here's mine - we love them:

YUMMY CHILLI STUFFED PEPPERS
4 large red or green even-sized capsicum.
300 – 500gms premium mince
Large onion – brown or red
4 medium size fresh tomatoes
Mushrooms to taste – I use a little over a cup
3 tbspns basmati or jasmine rice
Can of tomatoes in juice (I use Homebrand, chopped. They are cheap but just as thick and tasty as the expensive brands)
1 tsp.ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1ttsp ground hot chilli powder (I use 2 tspns - we like this dish hot)
1 tspn piri piri
Approx 5 tbspns olive or other vegetable oil

Remove the stem/ core/flesh out of the capsicum and rinse out seeds. Salt inside very lightly and put upside down in colander to drain.
Chop onion reasonably finely
Chop mushrooms into smallish pieces
Peel and core tomatoes and chop into a dish with a little fresh chopped coriander and/or basil and add the can of tomatoes.
In a saucepan gently sauté chopped onion until soft and add spices stirring for a few moments to allow flavours to develop. Add the minced beef a little at a time and stir until lightly browned. Add mushrooms and stir for a minute or so. Add the basmati rice and stir, at the same time adding salt to taste. Put aside and allow mixture to cool.
Turn on oven to low/medium heat - I use about 170C
Stand capsicums on a tray or in a dish to catch any spills making sure that all will stand upright. Half fill each with the mixture, packing quite firmly. Into each one add a couple of chunks of fresh tomato and then fill up to the top with remaining mince mixture. If more mince is used then usually there is some left in the pot and I mix this with all the remaining tomato plus what has overfilled into tray you are using.
Using a deepish casserole dish, in the oven, heat the 3 remaining tbspns of oil until quite hot. Stand the capsicums in the hot oil and pour over a all the remaining mince and tomato mixture. Cover with foil and cook until peppers are tender - green ones seem to take a little longer than red - 1 hour to hour and a half. Serve on a bed of extra rice with green saladnd crusty rolls or on a bed of creamy mashed potatoes with green beans and any other favourite vegetable. .
P.S. We had these yesterday and this time I halved them and stuffed the halves. They cooked in half the time, used a shallower larger dish and were equally delicious. If it matters the whole ones look much prettier on a serving plate!

iriegirl, Dec 8, 11:58pm
I can't remember the origin of this recipe but it's seriously good!

Beef Stuffed Capsicum
Red capsicums are stuffed with beef mince, cooked rice, tomato puree, Colby cheese and seasoned with taco seasoning, chilli powder, garlic salt and pepper.

500g beef mince
35g taco seasoning mix
3/4 cup water
2 teaspoons chilli powder
1/2 cup cooked rice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
500g tomato puree, divided
3 large red capsicums
6 (2cm) cubes Colby cheese

Directions
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease an oblong baking dish.
Place the beef mince into a frying pan over medium heat then brown the meat, breaking it apart into crumbles as it cooks, about 8 minutes. Drain excess fat. Stir in the taco seasoning, water, chilli powder, cooked rice, salt, garlic salt, black pepper and half the tomato puree; mix until thoroughly combined. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut the capsicums in half lengthwise then remove stems, membranes, cores and seeds. Place a steamer insert into a large saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Cover then bring the water to a boil over high heat. Place the capsicums into the steamer insert, cover the saucepan then steam until just tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
Place the steamed capsicums into the prepared baking dish then fill lightly with the meat filling. Press 1 cube of Colby cheese into the centre of the filling in each capsicum then spoon the tomato puree over the capsicums. Cover the dish with aluminium foil.
Bake in the preheated oven until the capsicums are tender and the filling is hot, 25 to 30 minutes.

esther-anne, May 1, 3:02am
They sound nice too - very similar flavours incorporated into them as my recipe!

OP should have an enjoyable few days trying these out.