Wanted diabetic biscuit recipes

Page 2 / 2
whistle, Nov 20, 7:29pm
Was only looking for a xmas treat not normal for me to eat rubbish as wifes a coeliac.

valentino, Nov 20, 9:49pm

buzzy110, Nov 20, 11:51pm
Lol. I had a little laugh about this. You are only talking women and children programming aren't you? The male half of the population is programmed to think that 'dietary' treats come in liquid form in green and brown bottles.

buzzy110, Nov 21, 12:08am
A Xmas treat huh? This is my Xmas treat. I think it fits very nicely in the fact that it is low sugar and no flour.

Hervé This' Chocolate Mousse

Serves 4

8 ounces chocolate (we used 70% bittersweet — choose a high quality chocolate you love)
3/4 cup (6 ounces) water
ice cubes
freshly whipped cream for topping (optional)
Method:
Melt the chocolate and water together, cool it over an ice bath, and whisk till you have mousse.

Adapted from Molecular Gastronomy: Exploring the Science of Flavor (Columbia University Press, 2008)

http://food52.com/blog/2932-herve-this-chocolate-mousse?utm_campaign=Feed%3A+food52-TheAandMBlog+%28The+A%2BM+Blog%29%3E&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedburner

I add a couple of tablespoons of freeze dried raspberry powder (Fresh As is the brand) to the chocolate before I start whipping.

Raspberry coulis is rather nice with it as well.

Dark chocolate has a whole lot less sugar than dairy milk but be careful not to buy 72% or more as it goes solid when melted. I use Whittakers 50% for this recipe.

aglarana, Nov 21, 12:22am
Substitute the "flour" for Healtheries gluten free flour and substitute any chocolate ingredients for carob.
And as long as you aren't hogging the cookies down in one day you should be good.
My dads weakness is cream, so any time mum bakes she gives me call to go and get any left over cream before dad drinks it straight out of the bottle.

buzzy110, Nov 21, 12:32am
Do gluten free flour and carob powder/chocolate have less carbs than ordinary flour and chocolate/cocoa.

aglarana, Nov 21, 12:42am
Gluten free flour doesn't cause the same spike levels as wheat flour, and carob is caffeine free and contains 3 times as much calcium as chocolate.
Sorry, eta. they have similar levels of carbs.

buzzy110, Nov 21, 12:47am
Is caffeine an issue for diabetics?

aglarana, Nov 21, 12:55am
Yes. It can impair insulin sensitivity, particularly for those with Type 2.

aglarana, Nov 21, 12:57am
On the flipside though, if you don't have diabetes coffee can help reduce the risk of getting Type 2.
Go figure huh?

uli, Nov 21, 2:24am
What is wrong with cream straight out of the bottle?
Is that another oxymoron like the coffee before and after getting D2?

aglarana, Nov 21, 2:29am
Saturated fats can worsen insulin resistance.
Oxymoron? I remember you. Murder any mussels lately?

uli, Nov 21, 2:58am
Haha - in my household that would be extra virgin olive oil and home made cider vinegar. Oh - and soy sauce . (they only need a bit of garlic and salt and pepper and they would have a great salad dressing)

uli, Nov 21, 3:03am
I am certainly learning more here about diabetes than from any other publication. So no butter or coconut oil either?

No mussels to murder currently, but one of the calves could be in for it at some stage. and did in some poor little celeriacs too - all shredded while still alive and now foaming away in their jars.

Lovely song on youtube "carrot juice is murder" - watch it when you have time. The group is called "The Arrogant Worms".

aglarana, Nov 21, 3:20am
You're welcome.
I don't know about the coconut oil because it's not something dad uses, but butter is another one high in saturated fats. It's a better option than margarine though (although many producers claim to have removed the trans fats), and the tide is turning on what is good for you and what isn't.

Do you have a nice diabetes friendly bikkie recipe for the OP?

aglarana, Nov 21, 3:24am
I also wanted to add that it's not that you can't have any of those ingredients, it's more a case of needing to monitor it more than a non-diabetic.

buzzy110, Nov 21, 4:02am
And here was me thinking cider vinegar and soy sauce came in clear glass bottles.

I doubt that you'd find too many NZ men thinking olive oil thinking was a treat. Don't know about men from your country of origin. I thought their idea of treats came in a stein or half pint mug with a foamy top which is only a little different from their NZ counterparts.

uli, Nov 21, 5:28am
Oh yes they would do - although my area is more wine country than beer.
However a quick check in my kitchen on green and brown bottles was mainly oil (green), soy sauce (brown) and vinegar (brown).

uli, Nov 21, 5:32am
I am glad that you recognize that the "tide" as you call it is turning. It is not the "tide of course, but that more people can figure things out for themselves thanks to the internet and start asking questions. Maybe you are interested in this link which I wanted to put up separately to discuss later: http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/well-good/74223028/personalised-nutrition-is-this-the-future-of-food

And no - I do not have any diabetic flour and sugar concoction - sorry.
I hardly ever eat cake (except Black Forest Torte once every 7 or so years) - but I bake heaps for our wwoofers who all love carbs! I much prefer fish and salad or meat and veges.

whistle, Nov 22, 10:42pm
mmmmmmmmmmmmm

tjmc, Nov 23, 9:04am
Gluten free flour causes a huge spike for me - worse than for wheat flour. It is advised that if you are diabetic and trying to avoid spikes and dips, then staying away from these kinds of flours is advisable.

I have done a huge amount of research on the subject of a low carb lifestyle, and write recipe books for those who want nutritious, tasty low carb foods, and yes, this includes baked treats and goodies.

I am a heriditory T2 Diabetic, and manage my illness through a combination of medication and diet - the latter having a much higher influence on my blood sugars. The last time I went to see a Nutritionist we spoke for about 90 minutes and I sent her away with a good amount of homework.

aglarana, Nov 23, 10:08am
Isn't it amazing how differently people can react to the same type of food?
Dad is Type 1, it's in the male gene. Bananas were always a big problem for him. He's been on a high protein diet for a couple of weeks and can now eat a whole banana every day.
Mum is struggling with the low carb diet though, being a Maori who had to learn English cooking (dad's a pom) and now has to remember not make Yorkshire pud every Sunday, and delete the twice weekly apple crumble. I'd love to buy one of your books. Where can I find one?
Thanks.

cyborg_nz, Jun 6, 6:57pm
Take saw dust add water
Make biscuit shapes
Cook

Well that's what most of them taste like anyway