What is Butter crust pastry used for please?

samsnan, Jan 7, 1:43am
I have a very large roll of frozen butter crust pastry and I am not sure whether it is to be used for sweet or savoury things. Have never had any reason to use it. TIA

245sam, Jan 7, 2:41am
samsnan, nowdays we use very little pastry so like yourself I haven't had a reason to use butter crust pastry, or to even have any for a very long time; therefore at a guess I would say that you could use your "frozen butter crust pastry" for either "sweet or savoury things".

Hope that helps. :-))

kay141, Jan 7, 2:55am
I haven't bought it for years but back then, there was a savoury and a sweet version. It was always labelled as such.

motorbo, Jan 7, 3:16am
I reckon you could use it for either, more likely to use as a base or for a pie than anything else

samsnan, Jan 7, 3:30am
I got it from the Why Not shop (clearance shop) in East Tamaki it does not have a brand name on it but the name on it suggests its used in cafes etc. Cannot find a sweet or savoury name on it. Might try a little bit in both a sweet and a savoury tart and see what it is like.

245sam, Jan 7, 3:49am
samsnan, how about trying to get just a little bit of the pastry off the end of the roll and bake it, basically as it is? - from that you'll know both how it cooks and how it tastes.

Just a thought - hope it helps. :-))

samsnan, Jan 7, 3:54am
Good idea 245sam I will try that.

teddy147, Jan 7, 9:50am
read the list of ingredints to see if there is sugar in it ?

biggles45, Jan 8, 8:20am
I only use butter crust pastry for sweet things. But, some recipes say if you want to use it for savoury just cut the amount of sugar, so probably baking a small piece to test would be a good idea.

motorbo, Jan 9, 5:55am
brilliant, and none of us thought of that! ha ha well done teddy. feels stupid now lol

lythande1, Feb 1, 12:43am
Pastry can be made with or without butter. With is better, also flaky really needs it. it most likely is savoury pastry - that is, without sugar.