Nut butter

monty4ever, Oct 12, 11:58pm
Found a yummy recipe for making nut bars using nut or seed butter. Anyone made their own nut butter? Have used Uncle Google and sounds interesting and delish. Have a bag of macadamia nuts so might try making some with those. Would be interested in other readers thoughts on nut butter.

lilyfield, Oct 13, 2:28am
Utterly delishious, expensive, easy to make and fattening.
Go for it.

mumstu, Oct 13, 3:00am
I use peanut butter or tahini in recipes that call for nut butter, just yummy.

village.green, Oct 13, 7:05am
I make peanut butter weekly, however my friend made some with peanuts, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds (all roasted individually first) and then just put in food processor with a bit of salt, very yummy. Cheaper to make your own almond butter if you can buy 1kg at a time, not those silly little packets in the baking aisle. I get 1kg for about $27 which is not too bad but I have seen them cheaper at Moore Wilson in 3kg bags.

sarahb5, Oct 14, 1:09am
Like others I just use peanut butter which I make myself - roast my own peanuts, chuck 'em in the processor with salt and a tiny drizzle of peanut oil - voila!

I have also made cashew nut butter in the same way but they need less oil - haven't tried almonds yet.

monty4ever, Oct 14, 3:23am
Never heard of it before to use in baking but then I guess that's what peanut butter is. Going to make a yummy nut/seed slice so will use up some macadamias nuts I already have at home. That's for all the advise.

samanya, Oct 14, 5:29am
I make my own PB as well, & have been thinking about trying cashew butter . taste good?
I have a niece with peanut allergy, so thought it would be a plan.
I tried to make a 'Nutella' type spread with hazelnuts, simply by going by the ingredients list on the jar . not a huge success & then 245sam gave me this, which sounds great
CHOC-NUT SPREAD
½ cup hazelnuts
1¼ cups non-fat milk powder
4 tbsp cocoa
⅓ cup sugar
2 tbsp malt extract
½ cup hot water
½ tsp vanilla essence

Lightly the roast hazelnuts, rub off the skins and finely grind the nuts. Combine the milk powder, cocoa, sugar and malt in a bowl. Add the hot water and beat well, then mix in the vanilla and ground hazelnuts. Bottle and store in the refrigerator.
I haven't made it yet, but it's on the *must do* list.
In fact this thread has jogged the memory & I'll bring it to the top of the list.

motorbo, Oct 14, 5:57am
I tried to make peanut butter once and I failed. still cant figure why

sarahb5, Oct 14, 5:58am
Cashew nut butter was good although next time I would roast the nuts for a bit longer to bring out the flavour and oil

nauru, Oct 14, 6:13am
I make my own peanut butter too, these days I use ½ almonds ½ peanuts and add toasted sesame seeds and flax seed. First, I grind the nuts & seeds in a cooffee grinder (kept for nuts & seeds as I also make my own LSA) and then put it into my mini processor with a pinch of salt and a 1 teasp of walnut oil. Really nice combination and much better than shop bought. I also make my own LSA, adding chia seeds and pumpkin seeds to the mix. I buy my Almonds for $21 kg.

nauru, Oct 14, 6:14am
Would you share your recipe pls?

samanya, Oct 14, 6:38am
Hey, thanks for that.

samanya, Oct 14, 6:41am
Wow, that sounds fantastic. Will have to find my coffee grinder & give it a go.
Thanks. C & P'd to my recipe file.

wildflower, Oct 14, 7:09am
I make my own peanut butter and my own LSA but haven't tried mixing them yet. being tempted now though.

sarahb5, Oct 14, 8:07am
I just put mine in the food processor - if I want it crunchy I take some of the nuts out and re-add when the rest is smooth

nauru, Oct 14, 9:11am
You are welcome samanya, happy to share

nauru, Oct 14, 9:17am
Sounds interesting, care to share the recipe or post a link to it pls?

monty4ever, Oct 14, 5:44pm
This recipe was in the latest Health 2000 flyer.
No-Bake Nutty Butter Bars
1 c pitted dates
1/4 c honey or pure maple syrup
1/4 c smooth nut or seed butter
1 c mix of nuts, seeds and dried fruit
1 1/4 cups rolled oats (or gluten-free quinoa flakes)
1 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
2 scoops NuZest Clean Lean protein Smooth Vanilla
Pinch of salt.
Blend or finely chop dates until they form a dough like consistency.
Put dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and rub dates until well combined.
In a saucepan mix honey, nut/seed butter and coconut oil on low heat until just warm.
Pour wet mixture over dry mixture and stir thoroughly.
Press firmly into a small lined baking tray, cover with gladwrap and place in fridge or freezer to harden for 30-60mins.
Store in airtight container in the fridge for up to seven days, or freeze up to three months.

I bought a sachet of NuZest at an organic shop in Wellington but guessing all Health 2000 shops should have same. No need to buy a big pot of it.

Let me know how it goes when you make it. Don't know when I will get a chance to have a go. Enjoy :)

nauru, Oct 15, 5:04am
Thanks monty, will give it a go. I must be loosing the plot, didn't realise that I had asked you to share your recipe twice.

uli, Oct 15, 5:20am
Could have been in different years?

mothergoose_nz, Aug 30, 10:55am
I got almond butter and pumpkin seed butter from the local new world. put out by ceres