Mango Chutney using tinned mangos

anne1955, Apr 16, 9:32pm
Hi people can't find my recipe for mango chutney using canned mango's Anyone have one? Couldn't even find one that looked any good on Mrs Google :) Mind you I'm not good on searching :)

sampa, Apr 16, 11:09pm
Good idea anne, I'd love a good recipe too, we seem to buy endless jars of a not inexpensive mango and peach chutney that, while yummy, never seems to go very far.

245sam, Apr 17, 1:07am
anne1955 and sampa, you might like to try the following personally as yet untried recipe - it's from Foodlovers and seems to no longer be available online.

MANGO CHUTNEY
2½ cups canned mango
1 onion, finely chopped
⅓ cup each of brown sugar and sultanas
1 tsp each of coriander and cumin
½ tsp cinnamon
1 cup cider vinegar

Drain the mango and set them aside.
Mix all the remaining ingredients in a saucepan and stir over a low heat. Bring to the boil and boil for 10 minutes. Add the drained mango and simmer for a further 20 minutes. Pour into sterilised jars and seal.

Hope that helps. :-))

sampa, Apr 17, 3:51am
Thanks for that 245sam, will give it a go minus the sultanas (not a fan, maybe replace them with chopped up dates). Wonder if I can sneak some chilli in there. would make someone happy if I did. ;-)

anne1955, Sep 29, 8:45am
Hi I actually ended up finding my recipe But ran out of time to make it the other day the joy of being able to do it when it suits using tinned Mangos. I only ever buy when at 1.00 a tin to do this.
Mango Chutney
2 x 425g cans of mango drained
2 tomatoes peeled and chopped (I don't bother peeling mine)
4 onions chopped 4 apples peeled chopped and corded
Juice and rind 1 lemon
2 cups sugar, 2 cups brown vinegar, 1tbsp curry powder, salt and pepper to taste And I add other spices like a chilli (fresh deseeded and chopped) to me one can added spices etc to taste.
Place all ingredients in large saucepan. Stir over a low heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until thick stirring occasionally Then bottle and seal makes 3-4 cups