Beef Curry

rainrain1, Nov 18, 7:57pm
Does anyone have a good easy recipe. must be hot, but not as hot as hell. thanks . a good cold day, perfect for cooking

davidt4, Nov 18, 10:20pm
Venison/Beef Keema

SERVES: 4
2 tablespoons cooking oil or ghee
2 large onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tab chopped fresh ginger
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili flakes
1 ½ tsp turmeric
1 cinnamon stick
1 black cardamom
6 green cardamoms
6 cloves
1 star anise
24 curry leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
500g ground venison/beef
500g boiling potatoes cubed
1 cup plain yogurt
400g crushed tomatoes
1 cup frozen baby peas
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped coriander

In a large deep frying pan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the onion and cook until starting brown, about 30 min Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook 1 minute longer.
Add all spices (except half of the curry leaves salt to the pan, stir over med. Heat 5 min.
Add the beef and cook until no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Drain off any fat.
Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the potatoes, yogurt, and tomatoes. Bring just to a boil. Cover the pan. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Uncover the pan and simmer for 5 minutes longer.
3.Stir in the peas & remaining curry leaves. Simmer until the peas are just done, about 2 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and the coriander.

rainrain1, Nov 18, 10:50pm
Thankyou davidt4, I hopefully have all of those ingredients in my cupboard, can't wait to try it :)

daarhn, Nov 19, 1:23am
Beef Rendang. hands down the best beef curry when I was eating meat. God knows what i did with my recipe

davidt4, Nov 19, 1:27am
Rendang of Beef/Venison/Freshly Killed Buffalo

To serve 4

800 -1000g sturdy meat – brisket, cross-cut blade, shin etc
400 ml coconut cream (1 tin)
2 tsp brown or palm sugar
½ tsp salt
1 onion thinly sliced
1 tab ground coriander
½ tsp ground cumin
2cm piece fresh ginger – grated or finely chopped
1 – ½ tab chilli flakes
1 stalk lemon grass chopped (or peel of ½ lemon)
½ c tamarind paste*
4 Kaffir lime leaves
2 tab fish sauce
2 tab soy sauce

Place all in a large casserole and mix very well. Cook at 150 degrees 3 – 4 hours until very soft. Check liquid level occasionally. It should end up quite dry. Before serving re-heat over medium heat, stirring carefully, so it fries a little.

*made by mixing ½ boiling water with ½ c. tamarind pulp, break up and when cool push through a coarse sieve

Will keep chilled 4 – 5 days.

Serve with white rice, preferably sticky rice. Salad of cucumber, tomato, zucchini, apple, capsicums etc all in biggish chunks. Dressing of equal quantities of fish sauce, lime juice & sugar.

rainrain1, Nov 19, 4:07am
Looks like I'll have to try them both

Might have to not use freshly killed buffalo

wendalls, Nov 19, 4:27am
Haha.
Davidt4 have you actually made it with freshly killed buffalo?
I'm betting you have. you must tell us how you came to use it if so.

davidt4, Nov 19, 8:44pm
Not yet! I most often use beef thick skirt.

uli, Nov 19, 9:30pm
You could substitute beef cheeks for freshly killed buffalo :)

fxx99, Nov 19, 9:42pm
I use the Waikare kitchen pastes. Makes an easy but yum beef curry. here is the recipe. Sub lamb for beef

http://www.waikare.co.nz/recipes/coconut-infused-dry-lamb-jungle-curry-served-on-br

davidt4, Nov 19, 9:57pm
That's a very good idea. Buffalo meat is sometimes available at Sous Chef (Simon Gault's shop in Takanini) but I haven't tried it yet, and I don't suppose it is freshly killed.

uli, Nov 19, 10:12pm
I am sure davidt4 that it is much better if it was hanged for 2 weeks like good beef is. So I would not worry about the "freshly killed" bit myself.

I am currently trying to empty a freezer (of the many I have) as the drought bites hard up here - Auckland still gets the rain but we are drying out fast - so one of the cows can hop into it some time soon. So I get all sorts of random bits and dinner is very "interesting" every night.

The last lot I thought was steaks of some sort turned out to be tongue when defrosted. No-one here eats tongue except me - so I had some quick disguises to make and all was good in the end.

davidt4, Nov 19, 11:28pm
The "freshly killed" aspect is from the original Indonesian recipe and I think it is a reminder that rendang is a way of storing freshly killed meat and also a way of making otherwise very tough meat edible. The only place I've seen freshly killed buffalo meat was in the market in Luang Prabang - rather a long way to go to cook rendang.

rainrain1, Nov 20, 12:47am
Beef cheeks are something I've never tried, they are fed to the dogs, BUT, I have asked for some to be saved for me, whether I'll get some or not remains to be seen, so am not holding my breath. Eh Deano?

uli, Nov 20, 2:04am
Beef cheeks are now about $10 a kilo - lamb shanks (who were also dog food not long ago) are now $16 a kilo (that includes the bone of course!).

So buy some while you can still afford them and the "great chefs" haven't go onto them to cook for some great tv show! The price then doubles the next day.

When I first arrived in NZ in the Bay of Islands (easy target to find from the ocean) - I used to buy half a hogget in Kawakawa every week - was then $7.99 - cringing that two years later the price went up to $9.99.

rainrain1, Nov 20, 3:42am
I will tell my butcher the price of the cheeks, and see if that works, he might just save them for me

uli, Nov 20, 4:34am
Here you can get them at the Mad Butcher for $9.50 and at Countdown for around $10 - good luck with your butcher.

wendalls, Nov 20, 9:52am
My family is not keen on beef cheeks. I must say it's very easy to imagine them as some old cows cheeks since the taste is rather different to other cuts of beef. For those easily put off their food it seems we would all rather eat the cheeks from the other end of the animal! Go figure.
Husband bought them for the dog (as there were no ox hearts available )but I made us all a casserole instead. He wasn't happy.
Did you just sail in Uli? Were you planning to stay or just visited and liked it?

rainrain1, Nov 20, 8:24pm
Cooked with plenty of flavour off a prime beast, I imagine they would be delicious. I am looking forward to trying them one day

uli, Nov 21, 2:35am
Beef cheeks need some good seasoning. That's why they would be great in a curry. I cook them slowly in red wine with thyme and rosemary and add mushrooms just before serving. Everybody loved them.

Yes - I did just arrive here one day in my waka (for the hurricane season) and had a look around and decided to stay :)

rainrain1, Jun 10, 8:57am
I made the Rendang of beef davidt4. it is just delicious, and the perfect heat for me, I can hardly wait for my dinner tonight, so thankyou very much for the recipe. Will try the Keema next time