IS it ok to use cheap margarine instead of butter?

Page 2 / 3
grolaunshucar, May 23, 11:29pm
I mix both. margarine and butter. afterall it's cooking. try it.

kay141, May 24, 12:39am
I can't say whether you can use cheap marge or oil because I don't bake but not everyone can afford to buy extras, has a freezer and even on special, they are still about $4 per block. Sometimes, it appears cheaper but on closer inspection, the blocks are smaller. There are a lot of families who only have so much each week for food and nothing extra. They can't afford to stock up on anything.

It appears to me, that some on some of these boards would do well to spend some time with those who are struggling financially.

bedazzledjewels, May 24, 12:44am
It depends on your priorities Kay. Butter is high on mine, but not for baking.

vmax2, May 24, 1:04am
If you go for nutrient dense foods you won't need baking.

kay141, May 24, 1:09am
Yes, it depends on priorities and for some being able to buy enough to feed a family is at the top. Butter is a luxury for a lot of families and often the price/size is the main concern. That applies to all food. O/P asked whether using marge would work or alter the taste. I doubt she needs a lecture on whether she should only buy butter or whether she should bake or not. If you only bake with butter or like me, don't bake, then you can't answer the question.

davidt4, May 24, 1:18am
Given that baked goods are not essential and their only purpose is to give pleasure to people who like sweet things, it seems pointless to spoil them by using margarine.

kay141, May 24, 1:21am
Not all baked goods are sweet and whether they are essential is a matter of opinion.

hestia, May 24, 1:30am
Perhaps you could share your baking recipes which do not require butter.

vmax2, May 24, 1:38am
Baking recipes with butter:

Take some meat and some veges, put in casserole dish with lots of butter and salt and pepper. Bake in oven for 1 hour.

davidt4, May 24, 2:06am
Baking recipe without butter:

Take some meat and some veges, put in casserole dish with lots of olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake in oven for 1 hour.

davidt4, May 24, 2:10am
Yes, of course. However the original poster wrote this in #6 "Not that I cannot afford it, I choose to shop smart."

bedazzledjewels, May 24, 2:13am
Like I said Hestia, I don't bake!
Just out of interest, Countdown's cheapest margarine this week, Homebrand, is $1.50. Their cheapest butter is the very good Tararua at $4.40. Why would anyone not spend the extra $2.90 to put real butter in their bodies instead of processed muck? That's well worth it, I think. Like I said, priorities matter. And that's avoiding the argument about whether baking is better than a bag of apples or carrots.

davidt4, May 24, 2:13am
I think you have misinterpreted Dazz's comment. I take it to mean that she gives butter a high priority but does not do much (or any) baking. I am the same.

(edited to add)

Snap!

vmax2, May 24, 2:15am
Rubbish bj, of course you bake - meat and veg with butter, olive oil or even coconut oil.

bedazzledjewels, May 24, 2:16am
Ha ha DT4! And what a wicked thought, Vmax!

kay141, May 24, 2:45am
Because that extra $2.90 would buy something else, a loaf of bread, 1k of apples etc. Many families need to weigh up every cent spent. And for many shopping around is not an option. There are many outside the large cities who have no jobs, 1 supermarket and for some it will take $20 worth of petrol to get there. The economy is not improving for a great number and some are losing their jobs every day. Many small businesses have closed and while they may only employ 10 staff, that 10 families on the breadline. That may explain why foodbanks are extremely busy and continually running out of supplies. I find the belief of many on here that we can all afford the best quality at whatever price quite unbelievable.

vmax2, May 24, 2:53am
What you say is true kay, and it sounds like you have experience in the matter. But as dt4 pointed out above that isn't the situation for the OP.

kay141, May 24, 2:58am
O/P said the price of butter was a consideration. Maybe she wants to bake more instead of buying baked goods so it could be a case of making the money go further.

punkinthefirst, May 24, 3:32am
Look around and you will find lots of recipes that are low in in butter, and even some that replace it with oil. Moist cakes, such as carrot, banana or chocolate cake are often very successful with oil as the fat content. Biscuits are not as crunchy, but a chewy biscuit or slice base is acceptable. Just try a few recipes.
You can also substitute apple puree in some recipes as a replacement for some of the butter and sweetening.
They're not exactly the same, but OK.

hestia, May 24, 4:00am
Then what are you doing in here?

hestia, May 24, 4:00am
Cornbread

1 1/2 cups cornmeal
2 1/2 cups milk
2 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil

1. Pre-heat oven to 200°C.
2. In a bowl combine cornmeal and milk. Allow to stand for 5 minutes.
3. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
4. In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Mix in the cornmeal mixture, eggs and oil until smooth. Pour batter into the pan.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes.

kevymtnz, May 24, 4:03am
we ditching margarine and going bk to unsalted butter

vmax2, May 24, 4:08am
To stick up for butter and the health benefits of it in comparison to margarine and fake oils. To show people there are healthier choices out there. I LOVE BUTTER!

susievb, May 26, 4:01am
Ha I think you are all food SNOBS!
I enjoy my edible spreadable margarine any and all days of the week!

Runs out quick before I get something thrown at me he he he he!

hestia, Jul 16, 9:59am
He he he he. It's not as if the oils in margarine are fake oils.