Pomegranate when can you buy in NZ

ruby19, Sep 9, 3:13am
Hi does anyone know when these become available in NZ?

juliewn, Sep 9, 3:23am
Hi. around March - April, though sometimes mine ripen a bit later than that. Some info here:
http://edible.co.nz/fruits.php?fruitid=45

uli, Sep 9, 3:56am
Mine ripen at about the same time (April) - however what you buy in the supermarkets is not from NZ - but Europe or the Middle East or even india.
So they would come online 6 months later (or earlier) - September/October/November I would guess.

The link above gets you to a very "interesting" seller of edibles - he never gives you the Latin names nor the varieties so you have no idea what you are buying. The trees are most likely Punica granatum "nana" which is a dwarf form and does not produce any fruit worth peeling as they are very "cute" and very small. Nice ornamental though. His description says it all: "grows to 3m in height". The normal size pomegranate grows between 6 and 10m high.

Wiki says: P. granatum var. nana is a dwarf variety of P. granatum popularly planted as an ornamental plant in gardens and larger containers, and used as a bonsai specimen tree.

kay141, Sep 9, 4:23am
This is one of the reasons people are leaving the message boards. Why is it not possible to give information without criticising the post of another member?

uli, Sep 9, 4:32am
Could you point out please what I have critisiced?

sampa, Sep 9, 5:25am
Curious as to what you're planning to do with it/them when you get hold of some ruby19? I'm of the 'recently converted' to pomegranate molasses club so am willing to be further educated in all things associated with this wonderful produce. :)

maynard9, Sep 9, 5:33am
I bought some molasses yesterday and had some on a cauliflower and chickpea (warm) salad. It was delicious.
Also found what looks like a lovely salad dressing on Foodlovers site.
Have to admit I also had some off a spoon.

awoftam, Sep 9, 6:17am
I like pommies in salads, Jamie Oliver uses them a lot and has some tips to get the seeds out of the 'shell'.

avoking, Sep 9, 6:29am
Usually around November - January you can find them in local supermarkets, including Pak n' save, New World & Countdown.
I find the ones imported from Middle Eastern Countries the best. USA imports vary from lot to lot.
When buying fresh, go for the ones that feel heavy for their weight. Stock up when on special, they will last few weeks fine if stored in the fridge. Can't wait for them to be available again. Great in both sweet and savoury dishes.

nauru, Sep 9, 6:49am
Annabel Langbein has a lovely Walnut Salad recipe on her website which uses pomegranate molasses in the dressing, really nice for a change.

ruby19, Sep 9, 8:23am
Sampa,I had just seen a few salads with them in, plus a chicken dish ( not that I eat meat but my family do) so was wanting to perhaps try some of them. As I grew up in the UK and my memory of them is sitting a s a kid picking them out with a pin!

nzdoug, Sep 9, 8:27am
Saw some in New world for $7.00 each.
Might be early ones.

daarhn, Sep 9, 8:31am
Love Grenadine. a summer staple for fizzy voddie cocktails

ruby19, Sep 9, 8:36am
NZ doug may wait until the drop a bit in price, but thank you for info
daarhn . YUMMMM summer coctkails :-)

maynard9, Sep 9, 8:09pm
Fabulous - thanks for recommendation

nzdoug, Sep 9, 8:15pm
I want to plant some pommegranite trees myself as the price here in this country is rediculous.

sampa, Sep 10, 2:12am
Sounds nice. Brings to mind that Nigella L is a fan and likes to add them to many of her dishes. will have to do a revise of the cookbooks of hers I have for some summer salad ideas. Always good to try something a bit off the well worn path when it comes to salad.

ruby2shoes, Sep 10, 5:05am
I've seen them for sale in Palmers - frost tender apparantely. Wouldn't mind a tree, its a fascinating fruit.

nzdoug, Nov 1, 4:19pm
Correction, $7.99 Waiuku NW.
Saw it today fer sure, fer sure.
I like the 4U pommegnite juice also.