Pomegranate

carlosjackal, Nov 18, 6:33pm
I just love Pomegranite yet I had never before bought any myself, so the other day I bought just one to see if I could work my magic and create something special with it (or rather the seeds) from it.

I've been told how best to remove the seeds.but as for a recipe - with the seeds of just 1 Pomegranate!Should I buy another 1 (or a few!) or to begin with, can I experiment with just one!

Any ideas or advice would be great!

davidt4, Nov 18, 8:16pm
You can add pomegranate seeds to most Middle Eastern dishes.I like to sprinkle the seeds over a salad of eggplant, red capsicums, onion and pomegranate molasses.

When we were in Turkey in the pomegranate season we ate them every day, sprinkled over lamb kofte, roasted chicken, hummus, yoghurt, figs, peaches, practically everything we ate.

griffo4, Nov 18, 8:51pm
David where do you get pomegranate molasses l have been looking for it for a while now and not been successful!

davidt4, Nov 18, 9:16pm
In Auckland I buy it at Lebanese and Persian food markets in Dominion Rd (the far end, away from the city), also in the Indian food markets in Sandringham.It is probably available by mail order - I'll see what I can find out for you.It's a great thing to have, and quite cheap.

edited to add:here you are

http://www.mediterraneanfoods.co.nz/pomegranate-molasses-300ml-p-389.html http://www.ashore.co.nz/index.php!main_page=product_info&cPath=68&products_id=546

griffo4, Nov 18, 10:52pm
Thanks David l will look into that and mail order

carlosjackal, Nov 18, 11:45pm
Thanks for your suggestions. Do I need to do anything to the seeds before eating them! Sprinkling them! Cheers.

hesian, Nov 18, 11:52pm
Have never been able to find a decent pomegranate in NZ.They dont taste like the ones you find when traveling where they are grown.The ones here too bitter.I think it is a bit like mangoes.If you cant smell the fruit aroma they probably arent any good.Just to warn you in case you feel disappointed.You may have found a good source.Hope so.

davidt4, Nov 19, 12:08am
No need to do anything other than checking and discarding any bits of pith .

davidt4, Nov 19, 12:11am
There are some very good American pomegranates around at present.I don't think the "fruit aroma" test is very useful because pomegranates don't smell of anything until they are cut into.Just look for fruits that are heavy, firm and dark red.

sarahb5, Nov 19, 1:07am
Pretty much every recipe I want to try over Christmas from Nigella's Christmas book has pomegranate seeds and/or juice in it!

uli, Nov 19, 3:44am
If you live in Tauranga then you should be able to grow them yourself!