Pomegranate Molasses - Where To Buy It!

Page 1 / 2
firemansgirl, Dec 8, 11:02am
I have a gorgeous recipe for a duck breast, feta and fig salad with a sumac and pomegranate dressing. Having spent ages trying to find sumac in South Auckland (finally got it at New World, Papakura) I cannot find the molasses anywhere :-( I had to convince the Customer Services lady in the nearby Foodtown that POM juice was NOT the same thing. help please!

jen69, Dec 8, 6:33pm
Hello. I'm not from Akld but when Im up that way I buy myIranian foods from the Persian grocery shop on Mt Albert Road. They stock the pomegranate syrup and molasses. (amongst other truly delicious things!) Directions: go down Green Lane West road and at intersection of Mt Albert Rd and Mt Eden Road turn left at those lights. Its approx two blocks down and on a corner on the RHS next to a kebab shop. Persian Network on Dominion road might also stock it. In Hamilton I buy mine from Khyber at five cross roads. Vetro on Anglesea Street in Hams also stock it. Middle Eastern/Pakistani etc grocery shops seem to be alot cheaper - and more likely to have it.Hope that helps. So much you can do with pomegranate molasses. Pity the fresh ones are so expensive! Hope this helps. Jen

davidt4, Dec 8, 7:27pm
As well as the Persian grocery shop you will probably find it at Spice Invaders (Khyber Spice Traders) in Sandringham Road, also the Lebanese bakery and kebab shop, think it's called The Cedar, at the far end of Dominion Road.

I've made a duck salad similar to your description and it was wonderful, so do persevere with your search.

firemansgirl, Dec 9, 12:22am
Thank you jen69 and davidt4 - I shall head that way tomorrow!

davidt4, Dec 9, 12:35am
I was out Mt Albert way this morning and had a look for the Persian grocery shop described by jen69.I couldn't find it in Mt Albert Road.

The Lebanese cafe I mentioned was called Shefco Cedars but I think may hav changed its name.It is at 827 Dominion Rd, the far end away from the city, on the right hand side as you face away from the city.

jen69, Dec 9, 1:56am
So sorry about that!Woops! Just looked on wises maps think it might be turn left into Mount Eden Road not Mt albert road as I had stated.I was there yesterday and they had lots of pomegranate molasses in stock. Itsa small shop - dairy size. TheHalva I bought there is delicious.

davidt4, Dec 9, 1:58am
So is it in Mt Eden Road!How does Greenlane Road come into it!I'd love to find it but I think I need a bit more information.Thanks.

jen69, Dec 9, 3:05am
Basically when I am driving up to Auckland from Hamilton, I get off left at the greenlane interchange thenI go left down greenlane west road past the greenlane hospital on your left, and which I think becomes Balmoral road somewhere along there. You eventually come to some lights and you turn left into Mt eden road towards the persian shop.Whereas turning right at the lights into Mt eden road will bring you into Mt Eden Village. Hope thats right! Good luck!

eastie3, Dec 9, 4:32am
Pomegranate molasses is my favourite ingredient at the moment.There is also the most beautiful pomegranate balsamic vinegar available.I buy both of these ingredients from Moore Wilson in Wellington,but they sell the vinegar here:

http://divinity.co.nz/index.html

davidt4, Dec 9, 4:49am
There is also a grape molasses, called Pekmez, which is even more delicious than the pomegranate one.I bought it by mistake the first time but now seek it out.It is lighter and has more of a fresh fruit aroma.

jen69, Dec 9, 6:53am
Davidt4 - where did you find the pekmez! Had some in Turkey - is fabulous. Would love to get hold of some.

davidt4, Dec 9, 7:06am
I bought it at Khyber Spice Traders in Sandringham Rd, but when I was there the other day they didn't have it.I'm on the hunt for some more next week so if I find some I'll let you know.

Otherwise we might each have to go back to Turkey.No hardship there.

trader125, Dec 9, 7:22am
our local new world has 2 types on the gourmet shelf by the service deli

eastie3, Dec 9, 10:00am
I'm intrigued.Can you tell me more about this,how you use it,and where I could find it! I'm in Wellington.Thanks.

davidt4, Dec 9, 8:59pm
I use it in place of pomegranate molasses, especially as part of a marinade for chicken or duck.It's also delicious trickled over a fresh white cheese (e.g. home made feta) with some good olive oil, or as part of a dressing for various Middle Eastern salads.In Turkey they mix it with tahini to make a spread but I wasn't very keen on that.

jen69, Dec 9, 9:20pm
I occasionally have it for breakfast with very fresh turkish or iranian flatbread.Basically I mix about 40mls tahini with approx 2 tablespoons grape molasses (pekmez)to taste. In Turkey this mixtureI think its called Tahin Pekmez. As I hadnt found the pekmez here I have been substituting it with date syrup. Both ways I thought were oddly delicious.You need good bread.And possibly a lump of feta and some tea!

anneliese88, Dec 10, 8:04am
Ive bought the Pomegranate molasses from Khyber Spices in Mt Roskill, and only cost around $2-3 (have seen it in supermarkets for about 3 times the price). I use it in all sorts of recipes for extra flavour (salad dressings, marinades, sauces)and even for breakfast too, on oatmeal porridge with coconut cream and toasted coconut - very nice :)

firemansgirl, Dec 11, 8:13am
Thanks al, I shall be off to Khyber Spices next weekend :-)

davidt4, Dec 11, 8:19am
Take plenty of shopping bags!And while you are there in the Sandringham shops have a look at the other Indian and Sri Lankan grocery shops, also a tiny ex-dairy shop that has tropical veges imported from Fiji.They usually have several varieties of okra and eggplant,snake beans, fresh tumeric, asparagus peas, taro leaves and other tropical veges.Sometimes they have fresh root ginger - succulent, pink-skinned and gorgeous.All really cheap too.

tehenga288, Dec 11, 9:04am
I have purchased pomegranate syrup at various farmers mktsbut I get it at the Pita House on Neilson St Onehunga.The balsamic was available at the Coatesville mkt today - delicious ! I have the date syrup and use it in place of maple syrup or over cheese.

eastie3, Dec 11, 9:30am
That's a good price,I buy mine at Moore Wilson and its $9 plus.

firemansgirl, Dec 11, 9:52am
I might get the syrup as well, although I guess it will be thinner in consistency than the molasses. And unless I can find imported fresh figs somewhere (didn't realise they are not in season at the moment) I'm going to be swapping it for orange. As it's accompanying duck I'm sure it will taste as good.

eastie3, Dec 20, 7:19am
Thanks for the info,sorry that I hadn't acknowledged your reply on the day.

bozo, Aug 6, 11:11pm
It is 6 blocks up from Balmoral Rd, No 691 on the corner of Mt Eden and Shackleton Roads

bozo, Aug 6, 11:13pm
It is No. 691, six blocks up on the RHS at the corner of Mt Eden and Shackleton Roads. Google Maps is your friend.