Freezing meals

curveball, Mar 23, 5:14am
what do you find the best containers for this and how long is the storage time!

duckmoon, Mar 23, 7:11am
i purchased 50 takeaway containers from the wholesaler (in Wgtn, Moore Wilson).

it means they all stack nicely in the freezer and I always have a container to give a meal away in

cookessentials, Mar 23, 7:36am
Tinfoil trays ( also from Moore Wilson) or Glad freezer containers with snap on lid.

uli, Mar 23, 7:44am
Tinfoil only if the food is not acidic - not for tomato dishes for example.

I use glass containers or ice cream containers that my friends give to me (as I make my own I never get any).

If I do not have enough to go round - then I pop the frozen contents into a plastic bag and label and re-use the container.

Advantage: lots of nice brick-shaped stackable frozen goods. Works well for soups, stews, stewed fruit, fish stock, chicken soup etc.

shop-a-holic, Mar 23, 11:18am
Uli - you're such a scaremonger.or not well informed.

Tinfoil is actually aluminium, but I do perceive what store-bought material you are referring to.

The time it takes for foodstuffs to freeze in same containers does not in anyway affect acid-containing items.

In otherwords, if what you say is true, then all aluminum trays, foils and wraps would come with a food safety and health warning.

uli, Mar 24, 4:27am
Yep - aluminum should not be used with acid food - well known since about 30 years.

Here is a bit of an explanation - in case you are interested at all:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/286884-list-of-acidic-foods-that-react-with-magnesium-or-aluminum/

Aluminum can be eroded from cookware if acid foods are cooked or stored in them for several hours or days. It is best not to store acid foods in aluminum or other metal containers for long periods of time.

angel404, Mar 24, 4:55am
I did this as well - except i bought mine off trade me.
I also use the sistema snaplock containers.

hails1, Mar 24, 5:02am
My Aunt would always, plate up an extra meal when serving up .cover it with cling wrap & freezer it. worked well for her , when she was not well enough to cook & hubby had a meal at hand ."quite easy to do"

punkinthefirst, Mar 24, 5:12am
A Margarine container holds a pretty good sized serving of stew, soup, or whatever, and stacks well, too. And yes, if you have plenty of room in your freezer, ready-plated meals work well, too.
Shopaholic - have you never had aluminium foil go into holes when used to cover some acidicdish in your oven or fridge! I have!

shyly, Mar 24, 5:22am
I use the Tin containers (with the cardboard lids) bought from Gilmores. Comes in a packet of around50, Fantastic for Cottage pies, chicken sweet and sour, butter chicken etc. Can normally feed 6 easily when accompanied with rice and they keep well in the freezer. Perfect ready made meal and you know whats in it!

autumnwinds, Mar 24, 5:51am
The plastic square containers that Jimbos cat/dog food comes in (2 sizes) are sturdy, seal well, and are excellent for stacking in the freezer.Wash well as soon as emptied, and recycle - free containers!The smaller ones store enough casserole/soup for 2, double that for the larger size.

nauru, Mar 25, 7:25am
Tomato dishes freeze well in the alumium (tinfoil) trays. I often use them for tomato based dishes, sauces and soups.

uli, Mar 25, 8:47am
Sure the tomatoes freeze well nauru - and they also react with the aluminum.
If you don't worry about that - then use them - just as lots of people use non-stick fry pans.
It is a free world out there. Do what you feel right.

elliehen, Mar 25, 9:51am
The science seems to suggest that in the freezer, it's not a problem.

"Aluminum is amphoteric and it will react with foods that are strongly acidic OR strongly alkaline. This is, however, only really a concern where you are using uncoated aluminum cookware to cook very high or low pH food. In your freezer, chemical reactions are slowed down and the water in the food is frozen, so you don't have free ions attacking the aluminum regardless of the food type."

shop-a-holic, Mar 25, 12:06pm
I don't buy cheap foil.

barbiegirls, Mar 26, 2:13am
tin foil trays with the lid inserts from moore wilsons

medicina, Mar 26, 8:28am
2L icecream containers --'cause we're big eaters.Storage time depends on the food e.g. water heavy meals last longer in the freezer than anything delicate (freezer burn problems)