Please has someone got a fail proof recipe

cookessentials, Feb 4, 10:21pm
Here you go.
75g butter, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
180ml water
110g plain flour
4 eggs

Preheat the oven to moderately hot (200C). Combine the butter, salt and water in a medium saucepan; bring to the boil, stirring, until the butter is melted. Add the sifted flour and stir vigorously over the heat until the mixture leaves the side of the pan and forms a smooth ball.

Transfer the mixture to the small bowl of an electric mixer. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating until the mixture is thick and glossy before adding the next egg.

Drop rounded teaspoons of mixture about 4cm apart on lightly greased oven trays. Bake in a moderately hot oven for about 15 minutes or until choux pastry is puffed. Reduce the oven temperature to moderate (180C), bake for a further 10 minutes or until browned and crisp.

Make a small slit in base of choux puffs to allow steam to escape. Return puffs to a moderate oven for about 10 minutes or until dry. Cool to room temperature. Cut a small hole in base of puffs.

Fill hole with cream patisserie or sweetened cream.

cookessentials, Feb 4, 10:24pm
Creme Patisserie

560ml milk
1 vanilla bean
6 egg yolks
150g caster sugar
75g plain flour

For the creme patissiere, bring the milk and vanilla bean to the boil in a medium saucepan; remove from heat, stand 10 minutes. Remove vanilla bean. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl until thick and creamy. Whisk in the sifted flour, then gradually whisk in the milk. Return the mixture to the saucepan; cook over a low heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens. Simmer, whisking constantly, for two minutes. Remove from the heat, transfer to a bowl.

Cover the surface with plastic wrap; refrigerate until cold.

I do a nice chocolate liqueur sauce If I am making as a dessert. Let me know if you want that as well.

joyfuljoybell, Feb 4, 10:35pm
Thank you so much cookessential.Will go and give them a try.

cookessentials, Feb 4, 10:47pm
You are very welcome. Yell out if you want the chocolate sauce recipe.

joyfuljoybell, Feb 4, 11:50pm
Thank you no I will just fill with cream.They look good.Just taken out of oven.

farmerz1, Feb 5, 12:15am
I would like the choc sauce recipe please

cookessentials, Feb 5, 12:19am
Sure. It is a chocolate liqueur Sauce:
100g dark chocolate, chopped
30g butter,chopped
80ml cream
1 tbsp Grand marnier or cointreau. combine in a small saucepan ( or double boiler) stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Stir in the liqueur.

cookessentials, Feb 5, 3:10am
How did your puffs turn out joyfuljoybell!

bev00, Mar 18, 11:19am
just use a choux pastry recipe.
Use the search factor on the left of the page, there should be plenty on there., but also here is the old NZ woman's weekly one:

Choux Pastry:

1 cup water
125gms butter
1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs
125gm flour

put water and butter in a medium sized saucepan and bring to a full rolling boil. Add the flour, then remove saucepan from stove and stir the mix vigourously with a wooden spoon.
The mixture should hold together in a soft mass and leave the sides of the saucepan if it is mixed enough.
Add the unbeaten eggs one at a time, and beat thoroughly after each addition. The paste should be glossy and smooth.
Shape as required, on to a greased tray. Bake in a hot oven *250 deg c* for 30-40mins, *depending upon size of what you are cooking, for profiteroles, cream puffs, cooking time will be slightly less than for eclairs etc,: then lower the oven temperature to *120 deg c* to dry out the pastry.
NOTE: During the initial high temp cooking do NOT open the oven door.
The drying time will also vary depending upon the size of shells being made.

Quotekinna54 (217 )2:52 pm, Sat 17 Mar #5

The secret is to add just enough egg to make piping consistency - the amount of egg can vary hugely as sometimes I use only about 3/4 of the egg, sometimes all of it and the odd occassion I have had to use 1/2 of an extra egg. Also, once piped on the tray wet your hands with cold water and 'flick' the water onto the uncooked profieroles just before baking - this helps them rise better.

Quoteace441 (304 )2:06 pm, Sun 18 Mar #8