4 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil or 1 cup melted butter or mixture of the two
1 cup milk with a little lemon juice added
1/2 tspn grated lemon rind
2 tbspns brown sugar
3 cups self raising flour
1 cup grated coconut, fresh or desiccated
1 level tspn vanilla essence

Mix all together till smooth - if mixture too wet add a little flour, if too dry, add a little milk (typical raro cooking LOL) This mix should be pourable. Let mixture rest for half an hour at least.

Next time you are in Raro look me up and you can come and pick your own coconut, husk it, grate it, and then make these. puts a whole new angle on your cooking.

Quotearcane1315 (5 )5:14 am, Wed 22 Feb #5

janeny1, Feb 24, 2:28am
Microwave Curried Sausages
6-8 beef sausages(buy the df ones) 2 T flour,1 T brown sugar, 1+1/2 cups hot water, 1 T soy sauce, 1-2 t curry powder, 1 T vinegar, 1 T worcester sauce 2 T tomato sauce 1 grated carrot , 1 onion grated and 1 apple grated. (my kids didn't like these last three so i left them out)
Cut the raw sausages into chunks and place in a casserole dish. Mix flour, brown sugar,curry powder,, vinegar, and the three sauces in a small jug Add the hot water into the jug , mix well and pour over the sausages. Cover and cook on Hi for 5 minutes. Add the apple onion and carrot ( if using) Stir well and continue cooking on Hi for another 5 minutes. Stir again and lower power to mediumand cook for 10 minutes .Serve with rice

janeny1, Feb 24, 10:58am
There are lots of dairy free recipe books for sale, in the cooking section of the books category on Trade Me -- just do a search for dairy free.

ethbaitrade, Jun 21, 4:22am
one of our three boys has an allergy to dairy PROTEIN so we have had to flag all family meals with anything dairy - goodbye cheese sauces =(

my sister suggested to use an egg when mashing potato! instead of milk and butter.

does anyone have any other suggestions for family meals, that are cheap, quick and easy [i'm full time mum AND full time student, DP is full time worker] that do not include dairy at all. please note, he is not lactose intolerant, he is allergic to dairy protein. he has soy milk on his cereal but i am unfamiliar with cooking with soy products.

we are quite sick of meat with three vege (roast or otherwise), tomato based pastas and stir fries

your help would be appreciated! =)

ange164, Jun 21, 4:25am
I'm no use to you, but do ask in parenting as well, as there are some very helpful people over there in regards to allergies also. They will have tried and tested recipes for families with small children.

ethbaitrade, Jun 21, 4:25am
fab thanks

nfh1, Jun 21, 4:26am
I use Soy Milk regularly to replace ordinary milk.In mashed potatoes, sauces, deserts etc.

ethbaitrade, Jun 21, 4:28am
oh that's good news. i didn't know whether things would turn out 'differently' if i used soy milk instead [ie different consistency or whatever].

nfh1, Jun 21, 4:29am
I have never noticed any difference - my husband hates soy milk and has never noticed I use it for cooking!

ethbaitrade, Jun 21, 4:30am
lol! perfect! i'll give it a whirl then!

are there any 'cheese' substitutes out there!

bedazzledjewels, Jun 21, 4:31am
Or use coconut milk.

nfh1, Jun 21, 4:33am
There are recipes on here which may give you some ideas.

http://sogood.co.nz/recipes

geldof, Jun 21, 4:43am
There is a 'cheese' called Cheezly. It comes normal, blue etc.
If you have a look at the supermarket, the vegan cheeses should all be suitable.

You can also use nutritionalyeast/brufax to make a somewhat cheesy/savoury sauce.

frances1266, Jun 21, 4:50am
I will bump up the vegetarian recipe thread, think there are dairy free options there.

auntlb, Jun 21, 4:59am
My daughter can't eat dairy and the only cheese that she likes is buffalos milk mozzerella - she disliked the cheezly cheeses

huna1, Jun 21, 5:29am
sheep or goats cheese is ok to have and i buy almond or rice milk for puddings etc and the olivia olive oil spread for butter use it in baking to works well. you can also get dairy free chocolate lots of recipes on internet and library have lots of books on subject. Both myself and hubby being dairy free for years and never miss out on anything just takes a bit of getting used to but if you cook for all family its not so bad

ethbaitrade, Jun 21, 7:05am
wow fabulous, thanks so much everyone!

vintageandretro, Jun 21, 7:30am
You can get soy yoghurt ( about $4 for 250g ) and soy ice cream. I'm doing no dairy, wheat and red meat for 2 weeks for my heath and I found the no dairy the easy part. No wheat is way harder. Our kids love the soy yoghurt and soy milk.

jamiemew, Jun 22, 10:57pm
My son is dairy free and at first what a challenge now it's not so bad! We do pizza his would have a egg on it with meat Vegas etc, scones etc for lunch using dairy free marg and rice milk, omelette with veges no cheese can either use rice milk or extra egg for his and the rest of the family can sneakily add cheese to theirs, meat loaf, slow cooker casseroles. Pancakes, waffles etc just substitute milk with rice milk, baking use a dairy free marg, chocolate etc can be dairy free, Mac and chesse I use coconut milk and leave the cheese out (sounds gross but it actually tastes quite gd it's a fav in our house you just need to add salt and pepper and mustard powder) curries that can be done in slow cooker using coconut milk are a time saver and cheap for us busy mums! There's lots of other options other than meat and three veges haha just takes time to adjust and feels very daunting (that's how I felt at first)
Think of your fav recipes and google ways of making dairy free is my life saver. My fav butter chicken -I use coconut milk instead of cream not quite the same but a good subsitute.
Couple of hints watch for spaghetti as that has cheese in it, salt and vinegar chips and some vinegars have milk protein etc get used to reading every packet label as milk is hidden in lots unfortunately good luck

jamiemew, Jun 22, 10:59pm
Also for packets of biscuits I've found the cheap budget packet (some not all) and dairy free, Pam's marg dairy free etc so check the cheap brands as lots are dairy free saves heaps of money in the long run!