"homemaker bench mixer" K Mart

westigal, Feb 21, 9:37pm
Has any one bought one of these !. My Arthritis is getting quite bad now and I am struggling to hold my hand beater. Sick of dropping it in the bowl, lol. I can't afford a top brand model. just need a basic bench mixerfor the odd pav and cakes etc. They look sturdy, low watts 300, but will that whip cream and egg whites!

cookessentials, Feb 21, 10:44pm
Hi westigal, you would certainly find a stand mixer much easier than using the hand held electric beater. I dont know what you can afford, but just be careful of certain "unbranded" items. See what sort of warranty it has etc. Depending on your budget, there are the Breville ones that have been on special lately. Check out the I just got a new mixer thread.

donnabeth, Feb 21, 10:56pm
I would agree about the Breville. Two friends have Brevilles and their baking is just as good as ever it was. Mine is too, but I bought a new Kenwood Chef last year, and in hindsight, I don't think it warranted paying twice as much as a Breville on special. I only do ordinary family baking.

westigal, Feb 21, 11:18pm
Thanks guys, needed some words of wisdom. Will keep my eyes open for a Brevilleon special. Actually, I think I will drop a few subtle hints to the family that "Mum needs a mixer', after all they are the ones who get to devour the vittles' ha ha. Hmmmmm maybe wont be so subtle, just no cooking until some onegets the pointha ha. Thanks again

cookessentials, Feb 22, 12:39am
I have a KitchenAid and personally, it is the one I prefer because it is a gear driven machine. Rov wattage is good too, by the way, if it is a gear driven machine. High wattage machines need to be to drive the belt. Worth saving up for the Breville OP, or save even longer for the KitchenAid. Wouldn't be without mine.

olwen, Feb 22, 4:02am
I have a Breville hand mixer with a stand and I hate it.The buttons are really hard to press, and the whole mechanism is rather odd.It has a geared mechanism for rotating the bowl on the base, and you have to use the right bowl.It is glass, very heavy (I am terrified of dropping it and breaking it) and doesn't hold a lot.Also I am constantly having to stop and raise it to scrape the bottom of the bowl because the mixers don't reach and things don't mix completely.

I can't find it online so maybe they have seen the light and stopped making it.

If you are buying a mixer, and have arthritic hands check that release buttons etc are okay for you.

wheelz, Feb 22, 5:37am
OP the Breville Scraper and the kitchen aid ( i think) series are a 'one piece', unless it can stay on the bench, you might find it heavy to move each time you want to use it. I guess there are other detachable ones, but I haven't looked at those.

westigal, Feb 27, 8:48pm
Thanks for all the advice, still working on the kids ha ha , will hold out till Mothers Day and see if the hints have worked.

huntlygirl, Feb 28, 10:35pm
x1
I got one of the Kmart ones as that fitted my budget, it does all l want to do and l am happy with it.