Garlic Sauce

lorryl, Mar 13, 11:34am
Anyone got a recipie for a garlic sauce. Not the gravy kind but a pickle or sauce that will keep.

janresyn, Mar 13, 11:18pm
Got this of an old man years ago(old measurements)Great with steak.
1 GALLON VINEGAR
2X TINS TREACLE
1OZ CLOVES
1OZ CHILLIES
HALF POUND GARLIC
2X TABLESPOONS SALT
1 LD BROWN SUGAR
1 TABLESPOON GROUND GINGER
MINCE GARLIC AND ONIONS,AND MIX EVERYTHING.LET STAND OVER NIGHT.NEXT DAY BOILF FOR AN HOUR,THEN STRAIN.BOTTLE WHEN LUKE WARM.iTS WORTH THE MUCKING AROUND AND MAKES HEAPS.

weezil, Mar 13, 11:37pm
how many onions is in the recipe please.thanks

janresyn, Mar 15, 6:10pm
So sorry 2 large onions

winnie231, Mar 16, 7:45pm
This is the recipe I've used for years . sooo good!

Garlic and Apple Ketchup

750g apples, 250g garlic, 1.5lt malt vinegar, thumb-size piece root ginger-bruised, 3 chillies-split, 2 tbsp whole cloves, 4 tsp salt, 4 tbsp peppercorns, 500g treacle.
Chop apples, skin and cores included Separate garlic cloves but don't peel. Combine all ingredients except treacle in large pot and boil gently for approx 1 hour or until apples pulpy and garlic soft. Rub through strainer or mouli and return to cleaned pot. Add treacle and bring to the boil
Boil 5 min and then pour into hot, clean bottles and seal.
This sauce is best if left to mature several months before using - but it's worth the wait!

clevercloggs, Mar 17, 10:08pm
Can't wait to buy some treacle and try this. It sounds great. Thanks for sharing.

mctavi, Mar 19, 3:33am
Sorry to hijack, but I'm intrigued by the garlic gravy type sauce! Sounds like it'd go well with steak!

clevercloggs, Mar 19, 3:42am
That's what I'm assuming it will be great for mctavi. I've got all the ingredients now and will start making it tomorrow. So I'll soon find out. The recipe sounds lush. Mmmmmm.

clevercloggs, Mar 20, 7:55am
I made this today (second recipe posted). Not sure if it was supposed to be a thick sauce! Mines turned out a bit on the thin side. It will still be really nice I reckon. Fingers crossed.
Don't know if we can wait three months before using it though!