Kitchen Aid or Kenwood Mixer

Page 1 / 2
lisa37, Feb 7, 4:40am

lisa37, Feb 7, 4:40am
whoops sorry didn't realise links would be so long - hopefully they'll still take you through though :-)

audigirl, Feb 7, 4:43am
Kitchen Aid, Iove mine to bits!

samanya, Feb 7, 5:17am
I inherited a 40 year old Kenwood from my mum & it's still going strong .never needed any servicing, ever.

lisa37, Feb 7, 5:47am
Thanks - It's a tough choice - I love the colour and look of the kitchen aid but the bigger bowl and higher rated model of the kenwood is appealing.Then the choice is if I do go for kenwood which model - should I go for the titanium which fits more attachments or go for the other which has the mincer with it already and is therefore more cost effective (though that model doesn't have the bigger bowl but does have a higher rated motor than the kitchen aid) - arghhh what a choice!More opinions welcome

nauru, Feb 7, 6:17am
I too have one which was originally my MIL's.It has done a lot of baking and travelled with us to a lot of countries over the years and is still going 40 odd years on.In all that time, I've only had to replace the bowl with a SS one as I broke the original Kenlite one.I believe the newer models are not as reliable as the earlier models, they don't look as sturdy either.

suicyco_nz, Feb 7, 6:59am
I have the new Kenwood Titanium one and it is fantastic!Love, love, love it! I did initially have my heart set on a Kitchenaid but I checked out one a friend of ours had and TBH, it didn't look as sturdy or as stable as the Kenwood mixer.I can't imagine baking without it now!

cookessentials, Feb 7, 7:30am
Kitchen, gear driven.nothing better. Beats a belt driven machine hands down. Thats why many professional chefs use them.

lisa37, Feb 7, 8:06am
according to the booklet we have on the kenwood the titanium is gear driven - do you think this isn't correct!

carriebradshaw, Feb 7, 9:42am
I have a Kitchenaid and absolutely love it.I do quite a bitof baking and it's the best money I ever spent.

cookessentials, Feb 7, 9:43pm
no, the Titanium is.if you want to spend $1500!

lisa37, Feb 7, 10:19pm
Ok so titanium is, phew :-) and yeah it is in consideration, I'm lucky that I don't have to worry about budget, though obviously I don't want to spend $1500 if $800 will do the job, but if the titanium does so much more then I would spend it, hopefully that makes sense! My mum says kitchen aid all the way, reviews point to the titanium though but I live the look of the kitchen aid so I'm torn. Are you able to let me know what the life expectancy is of the kitchen aid! Thanks

mango5, Feb 7, 10:48pm
kenwood all the way

gerry64, Feb 7, 11:12pm
I had a kenwood for maybe 20 years and it served me well - I replaced it with a Kitchenaide and absolutely love it - but it would be unfair to compare it with my lovely old kenwood

lisa37, Feb 8, 4:02am
That doesn't help gerry LOL - I'd say reviews here are pretty much 50/50 so it's not helping haha!

louisesamosa, Feb 8, 4:06am
Love my Kenwood, 20 years strong. Would replace with another Kenwood.

cookessentials, Feb 8, 4:08am
Older Kenwoods were goodies, the new ones, not so good. Have heard that from plenty of people who have kicked themselves for buying a relacement instead of a KitchenAid.

carriebradshaw, Feb 8, 4:13am
I've also heard that while the old Kenwoods were great,the new ones are not so good.Apparently they dont make them like they used to.

katalin2, Feb 8, 4:31am
You might want to check what Consumer magazine recommends- I never buy anything without checking. I may not always get what they recommend, but at least I know what the pros/cons are. If you don't have access or know someone who does have access I can check for you over the weekend.

samanya, Feb 8, 5:24am
That could well be a factor.
They certainly don't seem to make them like they used to.
for example, my old Asea (later Asko) front loader washing machineis the best I've ever had & although it did cost a lot to get fixed,after 20 ish years the repairman told me exactly that .the new ones are nowhere as good or reliable.
In fact he bought an older second hand one for himself.
I suppose the best thing to do when making an expensive choice, is to weigh up the options & of course the after sales back up.what the machine does, the warranty etc etc & once you decide, you won't give it another thought if the machine does what you expect it to do .

knowsley, Feb 8, 5:54am
Mine goes very well. Funnily enough, I heard that about the Kitchenaid ones when I was looking at buying a new mixer. Apparently since they were taken over by Whirlpool, quality had taken a nose dive.

lisa37, Feb 8, 5:57am
Actually my DH has done a lot of research today - most of the kenwoods have metal gears and reviews on line seem to suggest that kenwood is the way to go.

The other thing that he said he found a few comments on were the plastic gears of the KA breaking in the lower settings because it couldn't cope with the dough mixing for bread - anyone had any trouble with that!

And please don't take this the wrong way cook essientials but as you sell the KA I would always think that's the way you'd go - as to be expected because I'm sure you wouldn't sell a product you don't think is great.I'm still interested in what you expect the life expectancy to be of the KA though if you're able to let me know that.

Samanya that's exactly what we're going to check out this weekend, warranties, after service care etc.We've just rearranged the kitchen to make sure we're happy with where it's going to sit and how we'd use it (my old basic mixer is pretending to be a fancy one at the moment).

Currently I'm about 75-25 for the Kenwood titanium but that doesn't mean it cant change.

Oh and I guess if I do go for the Kenwood and end up really unhappy then at least I might get a KA by inheritence LOL ;-)(don't worry my Mum knows my name's on hers, family joke, but of course we hope it'll go before she does!)

lisa37, Feb 8, 5:58am
Good point that I had forgot - there were a few online reviews that did say that also.

millseys, Feb 8, 6:27am
I make dough in my KA at least once a week and no problems. Mine is a 2009, dunno if thats before or after the supposed drop in quality.
100% happy with my KitchenAid, I use it a LOT!

samanya, Feb 8, 6:56am
Good onyou!
Many a time I have been sucked in by advertising (you know what I mean)
But the bottom line is .do your homework, buy the product that you think will be the best for you & your needs & if it cr*ps out, feel assuredthat it will be covered under warranty.
Let's face it, we all buy stuff & usually it's A OK.