Corn fritters

Page 1 / 2
fee1965, Jan 28, 9:07pm
A recipe with minimal flour, had these at a cafe recently, so light and only just held together with minimal flour, could really taste the corn and coriander.

fee1965, Jan 28, 9:07pm
At good recipes out there!

beaker59, Jan 28, 9:12pm
Basically I use about 2 tablespoons of flour per can a pinch or two of salt and about a 1/4 tsp of baking powder then any herbs fry in butter oil mix. Biggest difference is the quality of the corn you use some are quite watery, Oak is the best.

Stir the flour in as you add it if the batter looks a bit stiff stop adding flour. I too can't stand those Nanna recipes which start with a cup of flour they are corn flavoured pancakes.

beaker59, Jan 28, 9:14pm
I should add heat the pan up while mixing and do a little test to check you have enough flour to bind but only just.

mjhdeal, Jan 28, 9:49pm
Yay - thanks for that tip - I have always used the Edmond's recipe (3/4 cup flour per can), and they are disappointingly solid, doughy creatures with that much flour.

uli, Jan 28, 10:09pm
I make them without flour.
Just a few more eggs.

sit1, Jan 29, 12:13am
egg whites and a bit of mashed kumara to mix,then serve with bacon and a drop of maple syrup!

beaker59, Jan 29, 1:01am
I will try that, I guess I started with the mostly flour type ones and have slowly reduced and reduced to the point where next step is flour free.

beaker59, Jan 29, 1:07am
I am a poppa well they call me papa or gaga or grandpa anyway, looking after two granddaughters today :)

I usually serve my corn fritters with a nice salsa of diced tomato onion and cucumber and fresh corriander basil and a bit of chilli, olive oil and salt.

lodgelocum, Jan 29, 1:27am
I have a recipe that uses mashed potato to bind instead of flour if you would like that posted.

2603962, Jan 29, 4:57am
Do you use cream corn or corn kernels please!

uli, Jan 29, 5:12am
If in doubt add a few spoonfuls of buckwheat flour.
At least then it is gluten free :)

evorotorua, Jan 29, 7:17am
Just so you 'know' Uli a fritter IS made with flour. Something with just corn and eggs is NOT a fritter. I don't care what it is called actually, but you seem to be quite literal in the name of a recipe from other threads so I am just letting you learn not to call THAT a fritter. (see Wikipedia entry for Corn Fritter) I wouldn't like to see you uneducated in these things.

sultana0, Jan 29, 8:35am
Corn kernels are what I like best as the creamed style consistencies vary too much

gingercrush, Jan 30, 12:44am
Flour is the devils food.

uli, Jan 30, 12:59am
I am glad you told me about my misconception of what a real "fritter" is. Sadly I cannot cook you one, I am sure you wouldn't have a clue there was no flour in it :)

But yeah - what shall we call it then! Flour-less fritter maybe! Or mock corn fritter (but that would imply that the corn is replaced by yellow courgettes.). Maybe corn cakes!

davidt4, Jan 30, 1:18am
By definition a fritter is something that is dipped or mixed with batter and fried.The batter can be made of anything that holds together.

lucky1989, Jan 30, 1:31am
going to add my fave one, has flour but others may appriciate it :)

Corn and Courgette Fritters with Avocado Salsa

410g can whole kernel corn
1 small courgette, grated
1/3 finely diced red capsicum
1 egg
¾ cup self-raising flour
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Oil for frying
Salsa:
1 avocado, diced
1/2 red onion fried with
chopped streaky bacon and
some of the diced red capsicum.
2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce

Tip contents of the corn can (including the liquid) into a bowl. Add the courgette, egg, flour and salt and pepper and mix with a fork until just combined. Fry spoonfuls in oil over moderate-high heat until puffed and golden on both sides. Serve topped with salsa, made by gently combining avocado, fired bacon, onion and capsicum and chilli sauce.Then onto that sour cream
soooo good and looks amazing :) can add corriander.

holly-rocks, Jan 30, 2:38am

frances1266, Jan 30, 2:42am
If you want egg free fritters chickpea flour works quite well.

karenz, Jan 30, 2:51am
I just use a can of whole kernel corn, 3 eggs, pinch of chilli, granulated garlic, dried coriander, splash of milk and add SR Flour until the batter is of the right consistency, though still a bit runny, they do no taste 'floury'. Sometimes I also chop up and add a ham steak to make them go further.

purplegoanna, Jan 30, 3:38am
try adding finely grated pumkin, finely diced chilli and a pinch of curry power to yr fritters and serve with mango chutney.nom nom nom

bounce16, Jan 30, 3:41am
If using a flour recipe and creamed corn, just add an extra can of corn kernels.Stops them form being doughy then :)

uli, Jan 30, 3:43am
frittatini - great :)

uli, Jan 30, 3:45am
. what language is that!
Italenglish maybe!