Using grape leaves in pickles

nauru, Jan 24, 1:25am
I'm making dill pickles and haven't used grape leaves in the pickles before. I understand that this is supposed to help keep the pickles crisp. Can someone put me on the right road please!

pickles7, Jan 24, 2:36am

nauru, Jan 24, 4:09am
Thanks for the info pickles.A recipe I found said to put a grape leaf in the bottom of each jar before bottling.Seems easy so thought that I might give it a try and see how we go.

pickles7, Jan 24, 7:06am
Did you see the "Pickling crisp" it is used in place of the grape leaves. I am going to see if we can buy it here.We have grape vines so grape leaves are plentiful here. I would stick to the grape leaves myself for sure.

nauru, Jan 24, 7:34am
No, haven't heard of that.We have grape vines out back so will use them for now.

Edited to say.I have been reading up on "PIckle Crisp", the only info I found was US related, where the product is frequently used for pickling.Couldn't find any product availability for NZ

pickles7, Jan 24, 9:24am
its, calcium chloride. That will make your mind up for you.

davidt4, Jan 24, 8:13pm
Calcium chloride is also used in cheese making and you can buy it from Mad Millie.http://www.madmillie.com/shop/Cheese/Consumables/Mad+Mille+Calcium+Chloride+50+ML.html

pickles7, Jan 24, 8:47pm
Something is telling me its used in pools, I don't have time to go look, maybe someone else will. Granules would be the way to go, I would think.

guest, Apr 2, 11:11am
I wondered what to do with mine! They cover many of our trees and crawl up into the capony. Some vines are as thick as my wrist. They kill the cedar from lack of sunlight. Quite the things!