Really felt like icecream so made this and

wizardoo, Jan 13, 5:36pm
I was surprised.I only had 3 eggs not 5 like my recipe said, I did not have condense milk,So I looked in the book and found one that did not have ether :-), cool I thought but it had soya milk and honey which I did not have :-( so I used 2 1/2 cups of milk,2 teasp of vanilla,1/4 cup of sugar syrup(which is equal amounts of sugar dissolved in warm water) a can of fruit salad mushed up, and funnily enough I had some gelatine in the pantry. The recipe said 2 teasp but it also had honey and I thought that might help set it so I used 3 teasp of gelatine.I mixed it all together and put it in the maker 25min later I had a really nice ice cream yes it was creamy not as if I had used cream and condense milk but better than just frozen milk.Going to buy more gelatine as this recipe used everything I have at home anyway.

lythande1, Jan 13, 6:15pm
Ice Cream is made from eggs, sugar and cream. Not condensed milk.

sclaredy_cat, Jan 13, 6:18pm
Really! http://foodgawker.com/post/2008/09/14/5241/

Good on you OP for having the bravery to experiment. Glad you had a good result :)

fifie, Jan 13, 7:31pm
I have made icecream with condensed milk, and it was lovely, actually good for you O/P for experimenting, pleased it all turned out well for you.

shyly, Jan 13, 7:46pm
Actually we have a lovely ice cream made purely out of Whipped Cream, condensed milk and mixed berries, crunchy bar etc.

gilligee, Jan 13, 9:04pm
How can those ingredients be 'good' for you! Ice cream is in the treat department.

red2, Jan 13, 9:06pm
if you re read that comment - it says good for you experimenting !

wildflower, Jan 14, 2:43am
I make ice cream with condensed milk and cream too, haven't bought ice cream for a couple of years.It has cream in it; it's ice cream (condensed milk contains sugar).I add broken oreos for cookies and cream, have done crunchie's for a extra treat (dearer than oreos) and fruit, lemon curd, passionfruit curd, gingernuts, hokey pokey.

This sounds like I live on ice cream but these are ones i've tried over the last 3 summers.

wizardoo, Jan 14, 4:26am
Really I have a gelateria auto icecream maker and our fav recipe has 12/1 cups of milk, 200gm of condensed milk, 3/4 cup of cream, 1 teasp of vannilla. the recipe book that came with the machine has over 60 different recipes

jeeza1, Jan 14, 4:59am
Wildflower, could you please post your recipe.tia

auntlb, Jan 14, 5:19am
My new favourite "icecream" is dairy free, gluten free, vegan, fat free and DELICIOUS!Just freeze bananas ( I peel and wrap them in gladwrap) and then throw them in the kitchen whizz with a handful of frozen berries - Yum!

sclaredy_cat, Jan 14, 5:32am
Pretty amazing eh, one of my favourites. Worth buying baking bananas for. Imagine it with a big dollop of bakels white truffle on top!

flower-child01, Jan 14, 5:33am
I ercently made my ice cream using 3 cups milk, vanilla essence, sugar and 2 tsp gelatine, but I will try using 1 1/2 tsp next time. By using these ingredients it is healthier than using sw cond milk, cream, or cornflour. so I think that entitles us to having it a little more often, well that's my excuse anyway.

martine5, Jan 14, 5:54am
One day I opened a friendsfreezer to find a banana in there frozen in its skin, now this is what I do for smoothies when I dont' get round to eating the bananas I buy before they ripen.So no need to wrap them in gladwrap, nature has provided its own!

babytears, Jan 14, 6:40am
Yes I do that too. skin peels away easily enough when frozen too

wildflower, Jan 14, 6:54am
It's 500ml cream whipped with 1t vanilla essence, mix in 1 tin Highlander condensed milk then whatever flavour you like, pour into a container and freeze for the day (or night).I love oreos though for cookies and cream.

pgta, Jan 14, 7:30am
Condensed milk is sugar and milk powder anyway.It is just a shortcut.

hound31, Jan 14, 7:48am
Good on you OP, sounds yummy! Sometimes the best recipes come out of making do and breaking the "rules".

auntlb, Jan 14, 5:38pm
LOL - think it might take some of the 'healthy dessert" part away!But . . . . now I may just have to try :-)

wildflower, Jan 15, 6:03am
No eggs mentioned on the Tip Top containers I have lying around here.Sugar, cream, milk solids.

evie.t76, Jan 21, 1:09am
I make a licorice ice cream that has condensed milk in it & its soo smooth and creamy.Yumm

wildflower, Jan 21, 2:46am
I did licorice once, I'd forgotten about that.I was the only one who like it though.Colour was interesting lol.