The icecream from my icecream maker is too hard

tintenammae, Jan 19, 2:40am
Hi, for Christmas we treated ourselves to an icecream maker. You put the bowl in the freezer beforehand, and then take it out, put the ingredients in, and the machine stirs the mix as it stirs. The taste is excellent, but the icecream is too hard - it's difficult to scoop from the tub after freezing. Can anyone suggest a fix for this! Maybe need to change the recipe. Thanks so much!

beaker59, Jan 19, 3:03am
Your fat content it too low, add cream. Can also be not enough stirring as the ice crystal size can be too big which makes it feel hard.

biggles45, Jan 19, 3:45am
Try this recipe - works perfectly ever time;

Make a custard base with 250 mls thickened cream and 250 mls milk, heat in saucepan until at a simmer stage (don't allow to boil). Beat 4 egg yolks with 0.5 cup of castor sugar, add the heated mix to egg yolks stirring all the time. Put back into saucepan and heat, stirring constantly, till it coats the back of spoon (again don't allow it to boil). Chill in fridge for 3 or 4 hours before putting in ice cream maker. Put in maker, and run till ice cream reaches the top of the bowl, or mine turns itself off when it's done. Freeze.

If you want vanilla - add 1 pod and seeds to cream mix before heating it. Remove pod before putting into ice cream maker.

Other flavours we like are 1 tsp peppermint flavour + 1 cup choc chips or 1 tblsp dark rum with 1/3 cup raisins. ETA both flavours are added while ice cream maker is stirring.

uli, Jan 19, 3:50am
Or simply make "ice cream" out of cream!
Why use milk or "custards"!

sarahb5, Jan 19, 6:50am
Why not just take it out of the freezer and put it in the fridge for a while before you want to use it - I do that with shop bought ice cream anyway, as well as putting my ice cream scoop in a jug of hot water to make it easier to use.It can also be that the temperature of your freezer is too low.Even Tip Top goes too hard if the freezer is too cold!

harrislucinda, Jan 20, 8:42am
ihave just brought aice creammaker
myfirst1wasmadefrom eggsdid,ntlikeit
so todaymadethe 1onthebackof therennet packso muchnicer
nextrecipei willtry is the 1with condensedmilk

dbab, Jan 20, 10:07pm
The condensed milk and cream one is lovely and you don't need an ice cream maker.
Our favourite at the moment is Raspberry.
I froze a lot of raspberries from my garden and then blended and sieved them before stirring them through the cream mix.

drsr, Jan 21, 9:31am
The problem is that the frozen bowl ice cream makers don't get the icecream cold enough while stirring, so they are still semi-frozen when you put them in the freezer, so a lot of the icecream is still in a liquid state rather than a foam and the liquid freezes solid.

The obvious way to fix this is to eat it all a few hours after you make it. This never fails! Otherwise, make sure you have frozen the bowl for at least a couple of days, and make the icecream at night when it's cooler, to maximize the freezing while stirring.

Here are some options for ingredients to add to make it softer (basically replace some or all of the sugar with corn syrup or liquid glucose, add alcohol or gelatine or extra fat or alginates): http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/07/tips-for-making-1/

pods, Jan 25, 9:39pm
My daughter made vegan icecream at christmas in her icecream maker and it was so yummy I went out and bought one the next day.
1 tin coconut cream
1/4 c brown sugar
2tsp, vanilla.
Mix together and chill, put into icecream maker and wait till it is ready and eat. You can add choc chips if you want or experiment with other flavours.
I leave the tins of coconut cream in the fridge ready in case I want to make icecream in a hurry.

kiwiscrapper1, Jan 29, 7:02am
is that recipe in this thread! I usually make the 3 bowl one from annabelle langbein and just add whatever flavourig I like.

harrislucinda, Jan 29, 8:33am
ihavemadethecondensedmilkalotsinceigottheicecremmakerbestofall

greg.n.michelle, Jan 29, 11:01am
I have made ice cream and the recipe i use has u heat a mix of blue or silver top and cream and add to beaten eggs and sugar to make a thin custard then add more cream and cool in fridge for 8 hours and it does need the 8 hours. then into the kitchen aid bowl and 30 mins later soft serve ice cream or freezer and firm it up.

dbab, Feb 3, 1:42am
Beat 600mls cream and add 1 can condensed milk.
Add any flavouring you like and freeze. Don't need an ice cream maker - just put into a container and put into freezer.
You can add choc chips, maple syrup, coffee, mashed fruit, crushed crunchie bars, liqueurs, etc
I have made it recently with raspberries from my garden - blend them and press through a sieve before adding to cream mixture.
Mashed bananas is nice too.

willyow, Feb 3, 6:03pm
Substitute 30-40 grams of your sugar with Glucose produces a softer ice cream. Also never freeze custard-based ice creams immediately after they cool - cover them withglad wrap and"age" them in the fridge for a few hours in the fridge- better still - overnight in the fridge.Aging is one of the secrets ofsuccessful icecream making - even the cheaprubbish turned out by icecream factories is aged for a few hours. It also means your custard mix is really cold before you put it in the icecream maker. The ice creammachines with a bowl that you freeze work well - but you need to put thebowl in the freezer at least 2 days in advance.

willyow, Feb 3, 6:06pm
Our latest vanilla pod ice cream recipe.
Custard: 2 Cups Cream, 2 Cups milk, 3-4 egg yolks, 3/4 cup sugar, heaped tablespoon Glucose, one fat vanilla pod.Blitz the vanilla pod with the sugar and make acustard, stirring non stop. Cool, cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight. Pour through a sieveto remove any big lumps of vanilla pod -process in your ice cream machine -easy as.and fabulous.

willyow, Feb 3, 6:10pm
Sifting a couple ofheapeddesert spoons of Premium Dutch Cocoa (The good stuff - with 20%+ fat content - not the supermarket brands) into the hot custard makes areally reallygood chocolate ice cream.

roshu, Feb 3, 6:48pm
I thought it was the sugar that affected the softness ie more sugar = softer.

willyow, Feb 3, 7:40pm
A little Glucose makes it softer