Thai Kumara and Carrot Salad from New World

yduj, Jan 3, 4:03am
x15
Anyone know the recipe for that delicious salad you can buy at New World Delis, please

nfh1, Jan 3, 4:31am
x2
How weird, you are the second person to place that request in the last couple of days - I must try this salad!

flora11, Jan 3, 5:20am
x3
I dont know whats in it but I heat it and its wonderful!

yduj, Jan 3, 7:10am
x5
Instore Deli Fresh Salad Thai Kumara & Carrot per kg

So, I have the list of ingredients - but I need to know what those "spices" and "herbs" are

kumara [54%], carrots [20%], marinade (onion, soya oil (contains antioxidant 319), pineapple (pineapple, pineapple juice), capsicum, salt, spices, onion, garlic, soya oil (contains antioxidant 319), fresh herbs, seasonings

bbq-bro, Jan 3, 7:24am
x1
YUM addicted to this.

yduj, Jan 3, 8:11pm
x1
Bumping again - someone must know the secret for my addiction!

dreamers, Jan 3, 8:51pm
x5
I found these ingredients for you which you easily copy.
Ingrediants: Sweet Potato, Carrot, Soybean Oil, Onion, Sweetened Pineapple, Pimento Red Blanched, Corriander, Curry Powder, Curry Paste, Salt, Black Pepper, Turmeric

yduj, Jan 4, 10:06am
x2
Cheers, thanks Dreamers, that should be easy enough to experiment with - much appreciated

ace441, Jan 4, 11:05am
x4
My hubby loves this too and asked if I could copy it as it is quite expensive - I have started with this recipe and it is not quite right but I have only made it the once so far so need to play around with it - 500gof red kumara peeled and chopped into 2cm chunks and 300g carrots chopped into 1 cm chunks. Boil these until tender (I roasted them), 1/2 small red onion finely chopped, 1 garlic clove, crushed, 1 tsp chilli powder, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp curry powder, 1 tbsp honey, 2/3 cup canola oil and a small tin of crushed pineapple in juice (include the juice), handful fresh coriander leaves, chopped roughly, salt and pepper.

k1w1shena, Jan 4, 11:50am
x4
Good Googling!
Ingredients listed like this suggests to me that after being cooked, the kumara and carrots are then stirred through one of the pre-prepared Thai curry pastes you buy in a jar with a little coconut milk or coconut cream, probably the Thai Green Curry Paste because it tends to be sweeter and less spicy. Sprinkle with some chopped fresh coriander.

k1w1shena, Jan 4, 12:03pm
x3
A little time intensive, make your own Thai green curry paste, which is surprisingly easy, and it's so much healthier & fresher-tasting than the store-bought variety. Cook with the paste right away, or store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks and use it as you need it. The paste can also be frozen for future use. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 1 cup (enough for 1 large curry)

Ingredients:
1 stalk lemongrass, minced OR 3 Tbsp. prepared frozen or bottled lemongrass
1-3 green chilies, sliced (Thai green chilies OR jalapeno)
1 shallot, sliced, OR 4 Tbsp. minced purple onion
4-5 cloves garlic
1 thumb-size piece of galangal OR ginger, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander/cilantro leaves & stems
1/2 cup fresh basil
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
3 Tbsp. fish sauce; Vegetarians: substitute 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. shrimp paste; Vegetarians: substitute 1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. lime juice
1 tsp. brown sugar
3-4 Tbsp. coconut milk (enough to blend ingredients together)

Preparation:
Place all ingredients in a food processor, chopper, or blender.
Process well. Taste-test it for salt and spice. If too salty, add a squeeze of fresh lime or lemon juice. Add more chili for more heat. Your curry paste is now ready to be used. You can bottle up any leftovers and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Freeze thereafter. ENJOY!

Tips:
If using a pestle & mortar: Pound all herbs & spices together to form a paste, then gradually add the wet ingredients, stirring until smooth. Your curry paste is now ready to use.
For Vegetarian/Vegan Paste: Instead of fish sauce and shrimp paste, add 1 Tbsp. soy sauce plus 1/3 tsp. salt, as stated in the ingredients list. Alternatively, you could add 3 Tbsp. soy sauce, but this tends to turn the paste brownish-green instead of bright green.

k1w1shena, Jan 4, 12:03pm
A little time intensive, make your own Thai green curry paste, which is surprisingly easy, and it's so much healthier & fresher-tasting than the supermarket jar variety. Cook with the paste right away, or store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks and use it as you need it. The paste can also be frozen for future use. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 1 cup (enough for 1 large curry)

Ingredients:
1 stalk lemongrass, minced OR 3 Tbsp. prepared frozen or bottled lemongrass
1-3 green chilies, sliced
1 spring onion, sliced
4-5 cloves garlic
1 thumb-size piece of galangal OR ginger, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves & stems (roots too if you want a stronger flavour)
1/2 cup fresh basil
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
3 Tbsp. fish sauce; Vegetarians: substitute 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. shrimp paste; Vegetarians: substitute 1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. lime juice
1 tsp. brown sugar
3-4 Tbsp. coconut milk (enough to blend ingredients together)

Preparation:
Place all ingredients in a food processor, chopper, or blender.
Process well. Taste-test it for salt and spice. If too salty, add a squeeze of fresh lime or lemon juice. Add more chili for more heat. Your curry paste is now ready to be used. You can bottle up any leftovers and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Freeze thereafter. ENJOY!

Tips:
If using a pestle & mortar: Pound all herbs & spices together to form a paste, then gradually add the wet ingredients, stirring until smooth. Your curry paste is now ready to use.
For Vegetarian/Vegan Paste: Instead of fish sauce and shrimp paste, add 1 Tbsp. soy sauce plus 1/3 tsp. salt, as stated in the ingredients list. Alternatively, you could add 3 Tbsp. soy sauce, but this tends to turn the paste brownish-green instead of bright green.

vashti, Jan 5, 3:43am
Good thinking,even if this may not be the real thing I bet it tastes good. I'm going to try it.

yduj, Jan 7, 12:00am
x1
Thanks ace, you live up to your name.I have just done this, given it the taste test, and I'm happy with that.It's close enough and I agree it is too expensive to buy at the deli so this is the next best (or better) thing.

samboy, Jan 7, 12:21am
I make a carrot and kumera salad which is a big favourite in our family.This is the recipe (I just make it without measuring quantity as its one I made up)

1 tsp chicken stock powder
coasrsly grated carrot(about 3 med to large)
cooked coarsly grated kumera (2 large red kumera)
about a cup of grated tasty cheese
a couple of handfuls of chopped cashew nuts
same for currants
some finely chopped dill and mint
finely grated rind of a lime or lemon if you havent got a lime

Mix all together with about a cup of thick coconut cream

guest, Jun 24, 8:36pm
x22
I am a deli manager at New World and this salad is popular but we've recently started making it ourselves because I want our deli kitchen to operate like a kitchen and stop buying everything in. The new version of this salad is far superior. The ingredients are: Kumara, Carrot, Thai Sweet Chili sauce, Turmeric and fresh coriander. Don't put capsicum with this... every salad from Nutrifare has some weird flavourless red capsicum in it - I think for the colour... but I find it depressing.